Notices

Hello

Old 08-23-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I have taken the biggest step in my life by giving up alcohol. I haven't had a drink in 7 days now, which to me and probably a lot of people, sounds quite pathetic, but I already feel good! I never thought of myself as having a 'problem' - although I have been in some hideous situations when drunk, I don't even want to go into them - anyway, I have realised I cannot drink socially , I cannot have 'one' I cannot keep losing friends - even my eldest daughter has threatened she will have no more to do with me if I continue. I have a wonderful family including two little ones and I don't want them to got rhough what I put my eldest through. I can never give her back the childhood she deserved, I will never forgive myself for being drunk for 10 years of her life (and pretty much the same for the past 8) and I can't reclaim those years myself. But I can start now. I'm feeling like a drink right now to be hoest - I am in the house with my 2 year old whilst my husband and son are out playing cricket for the afternoon. It's scary and it's tempting, but I know I won't give in.

That's me.

Thank you,

sas xx
Old 08-23-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by sadmummy View Post
...I can't reclaim those years myself. But I can start now.

Remember that.

Hello sadmummy! Welcome, welcome, welcome! Good job on the seven days. I'm pretty much a newbie myself. Lately I've been coming to SR everyday to keep my urges to drink in check. Keep reading and posting.

:ghug2
Old 08-23-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sadmummy,

Good for you! 7 days is great!

I think it really is hard to come to terms with what we've done while drinking. I know that I hurt my children too and it was so difficult to accept. All you do now is to learn and to move forward. I thank god that I have had these sober years with my children.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and thank you.

Sadmummy is a bit of a rubbish name isn't it?! I'm not too sad now, and trying to put those years behind me. How do i stop the urges to have a drink right now though? It's so hard on my own.

sas xx
Old 08-23-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't stop my cravings but I can talk back to the voice of the demon. The best way to deal with cravings, for me, is to do something to stay busy and to "play the tape to the end", that is, remind myself of what always happens when I drink. When that voice tells me what alcohol can do for me, it doesn't mention what it's done TO me.

Just don't give in to the cravings. They don't last forever so just talk yourself out of drinking til the craving goes away.

:ghug3
Old 08-23-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can you get to an AA meeting? Don't try to do this on your own. This website in my oppinion is great, but not enough to help anyone say sober. I needed the face to face companionship of people in AA and to work the 12 steps.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Are you hungry? Are you getting enough sleep? Is there someone you can talk to face to face? Take care of yourself. Don't forget to do the simple things.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you.....

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, mummy. congrats on your sober time! hugs, k
Old 08-23-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR sas and congrats
Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sadmummy!

D
Old 08-23-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. 7 days sober is great! No you cant get those years back but I'll bet the best way you can make it up to your daughter is by living a sober life and show her. She just wants whats best for you. And if you are happier then she will be happier.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Sadmummy and congrats on your 8 days.
I was drunk many times with the kids, even though they didn't know it. Now they are just used to me not drinking and hopefully it will stay that way.
Put the past behind you and concentrate on the future, there is great support for you here- best wishes.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep battling along, you've made it this far. You should be proud of what you've done.

Its a bank holiday weekend (in the UK at least!) lets try and enjoy it rather than just get smashed for 3 days straight as the rest of the country seems to do!!!!

This is only my 2nd day sober but i already feel a million times better.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome sadmummy- and congrats on your sobertime.

If you have any booze in the house- dump it out.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadmummy View Post
Hi and thank you.

Sadmummy is a bit of a rubbish name isn't it?! I'm not too sad now, and trying to put those years behind me. How do i stop the urges to have a drink right now though? It's so hard on my own.

sas xx
Congratulations on 7 sober ("didn't drink today") days! You managed through 7 days. What did you do when the cravings struck during the 7 days?

Here's what I did and hopefully, it may help you in some small way.

1. Old - Used to pick up 1st drink around 4 pm daily.
New - Got outside and played with my 5 year old or got on my treadmill or went grocery shopping, instead of shopping in the early morning.

2. Old - Drank red wine daily.
New - Drank cranberry juice with clear soda mixed or sometimes a yogurt smoothie. Craved sweet probably because wine has SO much sugar in it.

3. Old - Weekends really jacked up the cravings even though I was a daily drinker.
New - Would do activities that required being outside of home. Went to movies, festivals, miniature golfing.

As you can see, I had a lot more fun not drinking then drinking. Drinking kept me a prisoner in my home and not drinking helped me rejoin life and become more physically active. You can do it Sadmummy! Don't beat yourself up over the past. You can't change the past. We all make mistakes we would love to erase, especially for the sake of our children. We can't erase the past, but we can make sure the future is something they will want to look forward to. PM me if you need anything and I mean it. You get an urge - get on SR. SR saved me and I know if you want to be sober badly enough you will do anything. If this isn't enough for you and you need additional help/support check out AA or another type of addition group. There are plenty of them. :ghug3