Notices

I Feel too young for this...

Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Feel too young for this...

Im only 19 and im an alcoholic, its day three for me, just before i went on my 4 day bender i went 12 days and felt pretty good. then i thought i could have a beer with a girl and boom 3 thirty racks and 2 handles of whiskey and a "date" gone disaster im on day 1 agian, and even more depressed. I feel like im too young i cant believe im an alcoholic it makes me suicidal at times but when i think of the idea of AA i feel like no one will take me seriously cause there all like 30's 40's 50's and so on. Friends and family say i cant do it on my own thats why im on this site. I just need some advice , by the way you are all extremly nice people.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

o and i forgot to add, i rather end myself then kill some innocent person with a car when im on my benders. thats what gets to me the most is when im drunk im selfish and careless it scares me
Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep coming back jc. Welcome.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! No one should think any less of you at AA. I know plenty of younger members....they are treated no differently. We are all there for one purpose--to stay sober and to show others how we have recovered from a hopeless state of mind/body. We don't fully recover from alcoholism--meaning if I drink--i"ll be back where I started. I can relate to what you shared--I also used to drink/drive...luckily I never injured anyone....only myself. There is hope! There are some "young people" meetings at some AA groups--if you think you might feel more comfortable there. Either way--how will you know unless you go to a meeting. We all have a common bond--the disease of addiction...Alcoholism. I don't know of any group that would turn you away--or think any less of you. If so, they aren't going by AA Traditions and I would seek out a different group. In the meantime--hang around here and keep posting. We do understand...I've been there too. :ghug
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

jc811- Please keep coming back and welcome!! We are all here because we have a problem. Reach to people who you are close to. If you have no one feel free to come here and reach out to someone. There are many threads on this site that maybe could help you. You are never young to have this disease. You have already taken the first step by reaching out asnd saying that you need help. There are many people on this site that will be able to relate to you. KEEP COMING BACK.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi jc. I'm glad you're here and I understand how overwhelming it can feel to find yourself in this position.But there is help.I don't do A.A myself but please check out A.A websites online seeing as you're interested and also know-there's A.A meetings available specifically for teenagers.They're called Al-A-Teen and will be easily found in your phonebook or on Google if you search for them.I hope there's one in your area-but if not-just know that people of all ages go to A.A meetings.The ones I've been to have had people of all ages in them.Alcohol can affect any of us at any age.I'm really glad you're looking for help and I hope you stick around SR.You will have alot of support here.

Jules
Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~miss nikky~

oh hunni, addiction doesnt discriminate does it young or old it can get us all the same.
im 34 an i feel like im bout 12! actually i probly act bout that old too at times
you deserve life as much as the nxt person an i guarantee you no-one will treat u any different just cos u r young....u r special, u r lucky to be young an awakened, an i have to say i TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU........EVERYONE HERE IS SO NICE, i just want to give evryone big cyber hugs!
keep coming back beautiful all will be well
xxoo
Old 08-23-2008, 12:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

o and i forgot to add, i rather end myself then kill some innocent person with a car when im on my benders. thats what gets to me the most is when im drunk im selfish and careless it scares me
Hi JC and welcome. Let the above keep scaring you because it happens. It scared me so much I thought, I'll just drink at home and then I won't accidently kill someone...but myself. The benders, the diaster dates. It's good that you're already connecting that. I'm 32. At 19. I figured it was just part of being young and wild. There's a wealth of information and support here. Try joining one of the threads like class of August or Under 2 weeks Club. You can get to know people and stay accountable. You don't have to perfect and you don't have to be sober to be here, just you have a problem and are trying to figure it out. I'm glad you are here with us. I hope you'll stick around.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi jc, good to see you here! Come back and keep posting. Over in the 2 weeks and under thread we're a pretty nice bunch

I went to an AA meeting a few years ago - in my early, early twenties. A lady there took me under her wing and gave me a bunch of brochures about addiction and young people. The must get a lot of young people at meetings, wanting help, or they wouldn't have made these information books I felt weird being there, being so "young" and I thought the same thing - people would look down on me. I also (I don't know how this makes sense) but I thought I wasn't "addicted enough" to be at the meeting. I figured that because I was young and hadn't ruined my relationship or lost a job (I'd never had one really) that I didn't have as much of a right to be there as the other people. What a load of rubbish. But the people there didn't see me as a "kid" just another person who wanted help. I also used my age as an excuse for a long time - "all 20 year olds drink... all 21 year olds drink... I'm only 23 we all drink...". I'm 25 now, 26 in a few months and still struggling with the bottle. Some nights it wins, but since I've been here I've been pulling more victories. Glad you're ready to change and made it here.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I wish I had gotten sober a lot earlier than I did. I would have spared myself a lot of pain. You are not too young to be an alcoholic. There are lots of people in AA that are even younger than 19. I know a few people who got sober when they were 16 or 17. Unfortunately if you don't stop drinking the way you are probably will not live to see your 20's or 30's.

-My cousin just died 2 days ago from alcoholism and he was only 22!

-Also, a friend of mine was just diagosed with Hepatits C and has to go through a year of chemo and has liver cirrosis and she is only 20! Don't be like them. I am sure they wish they had stopped sooner! Go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days and if you don't feel better, we will kindly refund your misery.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and WELCOME!!! So glad you're here! I wish it wasn't a disease that got the young...but look how freakin' smart you are to have figured it out so soon! I think I knew around the age of 26...but I'm 33 now and have wasted so many years with doing nothing about it.

There are a LOT of young people at the groups I've gone to. Are you thinking of going to AA at all? I'm sure you'd be able to meet a lot of folks your age to hang out with and see you're not alone.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! Lots of good people here with support and advice. Keep coming back!

:ghug3
Old 08-23-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey jc, my daughter is 24 and an alcoholic/addict. she said her drinking problems starting by the time she was 17 or so. we met a young woman in one her rehab facilities that had just turned 16. and it was her 3rd rehab. so you're not alone in your situation.

hang in there, and keep coming back. you're gonna be real grateful when you find sobriety so young - you still have many years of happiness ahead, with recovery. hugs, k
Old 08-23-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

19 years old here...

alcoholic? maybe. I've definitely put my body through some pretty bad alcohol abuse in the last 2 years. I'd like to live a life completely free of alcohol, which is a pretty big struggle so i guess you could say i'm in recovery with you.

although in all fairness i will be 20 in a few months
Old 08-23-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet ya, toast. thanks for reaching out! k
Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The great thing about quitting alcohol young?
You can enjoy a healthier more productive future.

My AA home group has teen members who often
go out after meetings for movies or pizza or ???

I do so admire their positive progress into their new life.
Recovery is not about age...it is all about living well sober.

....Welcome to SR!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I stopped when I was 18.. 41 now.. I'm seeing a lot more young people these days than I did 22 yrs ago.

You can do it !!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Smile Welcome back Jc(real world)!

Don't beat yourself up jc. Everybody's too young for this! Don't worry about going through it again either. When I finally quit, I knew exactly what to do because I had quit so many times before. There was no way I could fail this time, I was a pro! I knew what worked with me, more importantly, what didn't. You are already admitting to being an alcoholic. That's the biggest hurdle you will have to jump. Now you simply take "baby steps". Admission indicates that you have all the ammunition needed to hit the battlefield. Use all that you know about yourself to pull this off. Alcoholism has no idea what it's up against. Prayers
Old 08-23-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome JC, You are on the right track...get help, the 4 day bender's I know all to well and it will caught up to you one way or another. Lot's of great people here so hang out read and post!