Notices

Has my time has come to get sober?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back Yorkshireman and glad you have a month up - Congratulations

I hope they won't - but if things do get tough, don't forget we're here, mate

D
Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I appreciate that.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! It gets better with time, it really does. I'm coming up on six months sober and the difference in my life and attitude is astounding. I hope you can continue to live sober - it's so worth the effort and sacrifice that sobriety requires.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Man...congratulations to your 30 days....
I am 43 and have been drinking "heavily" since age...um.....33? I went through rehan in Feb. of 2009...and within 30 days I was back at it....just no longer drinking until drunk every day. (I started to sneak my drinks.....4 to 6 beers..on my days off.....and not on weekends....) ANYHOW....my liver enzymes got better....and for some reason have remained so....despite my going back to drinking. But...I now have monthly seizures....every month like I used to get periods....(I am post-menopausal from surgery)...I get a grand mal every month like clockwork and I secretly think my drinking has something to do with it...though I can drink HARD and not get a seizure...and then...like clock-work...around the full moon...I get a seizure...

anyhow....I am hoping to stop or die...I don't care which today....but I am VERY glad you stopped and wish you the best.....
Alcoholism comes in may guises and forms......to be able to see your "problem" and then stop it....KUDOS to you, Man......
I have "beat" MANY things in my life...but I too much like to drink and have a toke.....

Ah hell...why talk about MY crapola....YAY for you...keep up the great work..... d(-_-)b
Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yorkshire, I'm happy to hear that.

Some people would want to stay away from non-alcoholic beer because it promotes an interest in having beer in the familiar ways again. Chances are I would be the same way, but I am not curious about trying it out. Do you think you would experience less interest in beer or wine if you eliminated the NA version?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can honestly say that by having the odd NA beer it doesn't tempt me to try the real thing. If anything it prevents friends and aquaintances from talking about not drinking as unless you look at the label you could be forgiven for thinking it's a normal beer.

It works for me so that's all that matters but, like you say Toronto, it might not work for everyone.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

OK, it sounds like you are comfortable with drinking that and blending in. I haven't been out with people in drinking contexts very much at all for the last 6 months, but I noticed that I had to tell people more than once I wasn't going to drink alcohol. Some people are like pests.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I just thought you may like to know I'm now on day 71 of sobriety and I feel amazing.

I have lost 13 kilos and gained a beautiful girlfriend!

My drinking days are well and truly over.

I wish you all the best aand thank you for your support.

Peace and love x
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I was kinda like you York when I decided to quit drinking. 38 years old, not sure if I was an alcoholic or a heavy drinker or a problem drinker. I just knew I was a DRINKER and had been one for a long time. The way that looked to me was not good and I saw no end in sight to my drinking in fact I saw it getting worse down the road. Anyway, alcohol was beginning to take it's toll on me. When I looked back at my life I could see that it had cost me not only a lot of money but some opportunities as well and also some problems with my family. Moderation seemed like madness to me so the decision was made after an especially bad drunk at a wedding one night to make an attempt to stop drinking. Best thing I ever did for myself and no regrets to this day, nearly two years later. Glad to hear you're on the same road.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update yorkshireman - glad you're doing well

D
Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the post York, and congratulations on 71 days - that's fantastic!!!