Notices

What If...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What If...

You don't like the person you are when you aren't drinking?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I used to say that I didn't like who I was when I was not using. IMO, it's another excuse to keep using/drinking.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlvrMag View Post
I used to say that I didn't like who I was when I was not using. IMO, it's another excuse to keep using/drinking.

*chuckling* Thank you for the remider.. It is only 4 days.. and I am really working on the "who am I outside of drinking" thing. Esp since it was/is such a large part of my husband and my social circle. I am really working on that...

So, here is to my first weekend of not drinking...

Saliena
Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Day 4 is great! of course those evil thoughts are all over in your head! It's trying anything to get you to drink-DON'T FALL FOR IT PLEASE!!! Maybe try not working on the "who you are" just yet, that will be there for you to figure out when you can think more clearly. Right now, just take care of right now.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmm, not to be offensive, but 4 days may be a bit premature. I know there are people I didn't like at all when I first met them, but then grew to really like them.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Saliena View Post
You don't like the person you are when you aren't drinking?
Realize that is your disease talking to you, and become the person you want to be (without alcohol).
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I Hope I Can Help Because I Feel Ya. You Must Give It Time. Go Slow And Limit Stresses. This Is Your Priority. You Have To Give You Body Time To Heal. All The Substance Abuse Causes Real Physiological Changes In Your Brain And The Rest Of Your Organs, Give Yourself Time To Heal.. Take It Slow
If You Suppliment Your Recovery With Good Nutrients Your Body Needs And Rigorous Exersize You Can Speed Up Process. But Stick To Exersize That Is Within Your Limits, Again Start Off Slow. Dont Try To Be Perfect No One Is Just Keep Moving Ahead And Let The Positivity Flow Into You.
I Hope This Is Supportive.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

being who I am was a gradual process and continues
Old 08-21-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. In my job, I have to be bubbly, friendly, funny and outgoing to make any money at all. I always told myself that I couldn't be that person without alcohol. I'm still worried about it of course, but last night I had my first night of work sober and I am very proud of the person I was.

I still am not sure if I can be around my friends without alcohol though. I think for me it might just be a matter of not KNOWING the person I am without alcohol. She's a stranger to me. I haven't seen her in years. Its always awkward getting to know a new person.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

". . . not KNOWING the person I am without alcohol. She's a stranger to me. I haven't seen her in years. Its always awkward getting to know a new person."

What a great way of expressing that thought. I can totally identify with that sentiment. Thanks Doll.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't like anyone the first couple weeks I was sober, let alone myself.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The person you are while detoxing is not the best you. At least for most of us!!!
:ghug3
KJ
Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

In recovery, learning to forgive ourselves is a process that takes time, I found that I was my own worst enemy. After I was able to accept that I had a disease, and that I wasn't a bad person because I had it , I was able to develop a genuine "like" for myself that eventually grew into "love" for who I am today. Don't get me wrong, it took a few 24 hrs and a lot of help and work on my part to get here...but I AM here, good, bad and in between, I love me today. I think with time, you will find that the person in the mirror isn't so bad after all!!! Be gentle with yourself, you are fighting a terrible disease that doesn't like to lose!!! You can do this.

Cathy
Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool

"Hey, ever heard of the steps....?" That was response I got from my sponsor years ago when I felt and spoke as you do now....I didn't know if I was going to like me w/o the glass in one hand and the works in the other.

The way it (the Program) has worked for me is.....: the 1st Step got me through the doors of AA/NA. But then what.....!? Well, as Hazelden has called them, Steps 2-12 are a Design For Living (w/o the booze 'n drugs); kinda like a blueprint, and I definitely like myself now..... (o: .....and you can too.....! (o:

NoelleR

P.S. Of course, there are many 'Designs For Living' out there; it doesn't have to be AA/NA; it's just that the old way of life (my old design for living) wasn't going to work for me clean/sober. As Brandon Heath says in his song, "I'm not who I was..."