Notices

Night Time is the worse for me...

Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Night Time is the worse for me...

I used to drink and got/stayed sober for almost 10 years. Got injured, added Narcs to my addiction and then came completely unraveled. I'm only days into recovery again. (On both).

I swear that mornings are beautiful, no problem, afternoons get a little difficult, but the new IOP classes help that, it's like taking crap one second at a time. Stay up all night biting nails, pacing, eating, watching TV... SLEEP would be good, just want to sleep. Is it "night time" for everyone or is the "trigger time" different for everyone.

I remember learning in detox in the 90's for alcohol that a disporportionate amount of addicts were "night owls", "liked thunderstorms" and "were very creative". I guess these were personality traits that soared among users. Is/Was this true? It seems like when the sun goes down is when things really ged hard. (I can't stop posting tonight, it's keeping me busy).
Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Wow, recovering from one thing is hard enough, let alone two. How are you doing? Is your withdrawal really bad? I'll give the standard response--if you get really bad, go to the hospital. As to the lack of sleeping, it should eventually come. If not, please see a doctor.

Night time is my trigger time. I have to be at work in 3.5 hours and I can't go to sleep because I just had a lot of coffee (stupid, huh?). I'm at 24 days sober from alcohol. Funny you should mention liking thunderstorms and being creative. That's true for me, but I can't speak for anyone else. Take it easy, NewStartangel.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No bamn, it's IMPOSSIBLE right now. I was being weened off the narcs and tomorrow will be put on a replacement, I'm starting to hit the worse days of the alc. I have had seizures in the past, but the Doctor has me on anti-seizure and other meds for this purpose and I have someone staying with me incase anything happens and I know when I start to feel so cloudy that something bad is gonna happen and a hospital a mile away. I started IOP classes, but very new to that. I just feel like I'm going batty right now, the later it gets, the worse I get. Sleep depo is NOT good for seizure prone ppl, so this is unhealthy for those reasons as well. However he has me on a benzo (been on it for years anyhow), a NON-benzo anti-seizure plus a very small dose of meds to keep my heart rate down. (Same combo that has worked for me in previous detoxes). Right now I'm just more annoyed/anxiety ridden, etc. (You know the drill...pissed at the world, sweaty, tired but can't sleep, patchy thought process).
Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

That's good that you have someone staying with you in case something happens. I always get worried when I read posts like yours. Sorry, "take it easy" is just an expression I use. I do wish the best for you and I hope you feel better soon. Keep reading and posting.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Night time is bad for me. Always been a "night person." I do like thunderstorms. I don't think I'm very creative.

Good luck to you, brighter days are ahead.

Love,

Lenina
Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are here with us...
Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Night time is my weak time as well. I generally start(ed) drinking between 5 and 6 in the evenings (maybe a little later on weekends). So, if it gets to be 9:00 and I haven't had a drink I start feeling restless and panicky. I'm generally just fine during the day.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Night time is my weak time as well. I generally start(ed) drinking between 5 and 6 in the evenings (maybe a little later on weekends). So, if it gets to be 9:00 and I haven't had a drink I start feeling restless and panicky. I'm generally just fine during the day.
Me too. Although, my problem was progressing to the point where I was having the hair of the dog in the morning and drinking wine as early as 10 am on the weekends. I knew what that meant. Posting here at night keeps me distracted most of the time from wanting to drink.

Glad to see you here. Welcome.

PS - I love thunderstorms and am creative also.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi NewStartangel and welcome to SR. Night time was a trigger time for me. All my drinking was done at night. So I was a daily night owl.

Glad your back in recovery. Keep reading and posting.

Barb
Old 08-21-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi newstarangel and welcome

nightime definitely is a trigger for me sometimes (so is daytime, rain, sun, snow, anger, lonliness, everything)....driving at night time is especially a trigger for me.

equal with driving at nightime is when i start driving home after a day of work. that is the natural habitual time for me to drink/use when i am a "functioning" addict/alcohlolic
Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dismember

Yeah. Last night I was home, didn't have much to do, and I was getting very restless. I wouldn't say I was having cravings, specifically. I didn't want to drink but I had this feeling of either needing to do something. I ended up going grocery shopping even though I have food enough.

Part of my recovery is trying to find something positive and engaging to do at night. This summer I went out a lot, and to almost contradict what a lot of people here experience, I think I felt more at ease with sobriety in a bar with friends than I do even now just home alone. I was never much of a social drinker.

I like thunderstorms, but I wouldn't describe myself as creative.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I was more of a day time user, but I did (and sometimes still do) have trouble sleeping at night.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"its 3:00 A.m. I Must Be Lonely" Get Yourself Some Good Mellow Music, And Put It On To Get You Through. While You R Listening Inhale Deeply From Your Diaphram, Inhale All That Is Good And All Your Dreams And Then Exhale All Your Worries And Troubles. I Hope This Helps If Only A Little. You R Not Alone My Friend.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess I'm on a curve. Mornings: I love sober mornings. Best thing in the world. Afternoons, I'm fine.
But, I always used to drink when I cooked dinner. It was real trigger time. Partly because I tend to get stressed trying to get everything on the table and timed properly, partly because gathering my family at the table is like herding cats.... and then the tedium of washing up or nagging someone else to wash up. I drank to get through that.

If I can make it past that time, I do okay in the evenings: watch TV. Make tea, eat some ice cream.

Try keeping a daily diary and when your triggers happen. if you can pinpoint when they are most likely to happen, (and why), include some new routines in your day. I solved the stress of cooking by starting to make big meals on weekends and freezing things or just going for far simpler meals.
I also have a couple of AA meetings week nights.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am also mostly a night time drinker...as soon as I got home from work. But the last few months I have found it creeping up earlier and earlier, especially if I drank alot the night before, I needed it a little earlier and earlier. That was when it really hit me that it wasn't normal to be sneaking wine out of the frig at 11:00 in the morning. God forbid if anyone in my family would have caught me doing it! That would have been bad...
Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

From Your Diaphram, Inhale All That Is Good And All Your Dreams And Then Exhale All Your Worries And Troubles.
i really like this a lot.....thanks MROBI
Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome
Old 08-21-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Someone told Spudida, a new member, to make some popcorn and curl up in front of her computer with this website between 5PM-9PM. I think for a lot of us that time is difficult. Although, thankfully my last binge was so physically and emotionally draining I'm struggling less with that then I have before.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I read Blogs into the late hours. I've learned some great stuff that way.

It didn't help me when I was just beginning but it sure does now. Look up Pioneer Woman Cooks. She has some awesome pictures of food and preparing food.

Fold clothes, watch reruns of Cold Case and Roseanne (thank you DVR) and the list goes on.