Notices

I have a Doctor's appointment tomorrow

Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a Doctor's appointment tomorrow

and I am just sick to my stomach to think about going and explain my drinking problem to the doctor. I just want to get a physical and make sure I am okay and I think that will motivate me to stop. My blood pressure is high and I believe it is from the drinking and stress of it all. But how do you even bring it up? I thought talking to my husband was scary...this just makes me feel ill.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, I am soooo with you! I just made a doctor appointment for the same thing! My appointment isn't until the middle of September, though, (nice, eh? lol) so I'll have lots of time to stress about it.

The important thing is to remember there is NOTHING you can tell your doctor that they haven't heard hundreds of times before!!! You don't get embarrased telling your mechanic about your car, do ya? Same thing here. We just need to get the body-work checked out.

Good luck to you!!! Make a list of questions and things you want to say ready before your appointment. For some reason my brain shuts down as soon as I see that white coat.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. Hope I don't chew all my fingernails off before!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck tomorrow!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

(this is day one for me)
Wow Dancin, I never thought about waiting for an appointment. If you think your problem is serious enough to see a doctor, does this mean you have to keep drinking up until the appointment? That just blows my mind. Wow, the alcohol would then be like medicine. I've been gearing up all day to quit. I started reading about detox and it scared the hell out of me. I even thought about having a 12 pack in the fridge in case I have problems. I've abandoned that thought, I just won't do it. If I absolutely have to, I will make a beer run. I will then make a doctor appointment. I hope all goes well. It's actually beer thirty for me now but I feel fine. I'm taking myself to dinner tonight. I haven't been outside at night for a very long time. Thanks for your post, it's got me thinking.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

[QUOTE=dancinggirl;1876586]The important thing is to remember there is NOTHING you can tell your doctor that they haven't heard hundreds of times before!!! You don't get embarrased telling your mechanic about your car, do ya? Same thing here. We just need to get the body-work checked out.
[QUOTE]

Well said. I went to see a doctor back in June because I was having heart palpitations badly enough to scare the crap out of me. I plowed right ahead and told her what was going on and how much I had been drinking over the last few years. I cried. Oh well. I felt a lot better after I unloaded. Hell, I felt relieved that someone else knew just in case something else goes wrong.

Take it easy.

Last edited by Bamboozle; 08-19-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: oops
Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Oops, messed that quote up...Oh well...
Old 08-19-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I had a doctor say to me once, something along the lines of:

PLEASE don't be soooooo self-centered that you think I haven't encountered people with your problems before. Don't make me drag answers out of you. Spare me the misery of your embarrassment and let's get accomplished what you came here for. Otherwise, make an appointment for some different time when you are ready, but don't waste my time beating around the bush. You ready now?

I became humble enough at that point to realize he was correct. We got down to the BUSINESS of making me better.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eclipse - i know you're scared, but just think of afterwards, you can stop the not knowing. you'll know if something is going on and you need to take care of it, or if all is well you can keep it that way by staying sober and living healthy and live to 100! lol - i feel the same way though. I need to make an appointment within the next couple of weeks because i've been having some stomach issues - and i just bet its related to my drinking - i'm scared too! hang in there though
Old 08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Honey, those doctors are just people, just like you. And, they have heard it all before, AND, they know BS when they hear it, so don't even go there, if you even feel inclined. (For example, don't say, "I drink 4 drinks/day....if you drink 20....they can see right through that. They will be better for YOU if you step up, and are honest with them.)

Be honest, be "to the point" (just the facts...), and if you have questions, by all means, ASK them. That's their job, and you are their "customer" so to speak.

We're all the same when it comes down to it, so don't feel intimidated by the fact that they are a "Doctor". PLEASE.

Best of luck to you!!!

Honu
Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is the second time I quit. It is because I started getting nausea. It lasts for two days and comes with migraine headaches. I did some reading. More than likely it is because of heavy consistent drinking combined with heavy Advil use the next day(I'd take 4 pills at least once but sometimes as many as 3 times in a day) for long periods of time. I basically burned a whole in my stomach lining which causes a little bit of bleeding. So that scares the crap out of me and I decided once again it is time. I don't want to die man, it's as simple as that.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I saw my doctor last month and it was hard because I was very shamed (though I had over 60 days sober at that point). I just came out and told him and told him I was worried that I had done some damage and could we do an entire work up. He was great because he knew that I was probably neglecting everything about my health while drinking so we discussed my diet, exercise, did blood work, everything. I felt so RELIEVED afterwards!
What is the worst that can happen? I wish you the very best with your appt. Remember to breathe!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

how about writing down your drinking patterns
and the ammount ...hand it to your doctor.

I sincerely think it's imperitive to be honest
with doctors so they can know what to look for.

The blood test can tell about damage to your liver.
They don't check for all possibilities unless you are
up front.

Logically you know doctors have heard everything
They are there to assist you twards a healthy life.

Please don't short change yourself by evasions.

Be brave and safe and sober.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think the only time I have been embarrassed about talking to my Dr about my drinking was when he asked me "How's your drinking?" in the middle of an ermmm lets just say delicate "girls only" proceedure. Otherwise, I have never had any problems about it. In fact my Dr knew I was an alcoholic a good year before even my husband did. When I finally told him that I'd reached the end and was ready to stop - my Dr moved heaven and earth to get me the help I needed. I honestly believe that he has seen worse then me, and better then me. I believe especially in current society trends this is a more and more common problem. DO NOT be intimidating asking your Dr for help... Good luck, and I hope the Dr listens to your concerns, your problem and helps you to overcome it. Its their job!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

What if you don't have a regular doc that you're comfortable with? The only doc I seen on a regular basis is my OBGYN and I seriously doubt that's who I should try to talk to about something like this.

Years ago I had a GP that I saw on a regular basis and knew by name, but that was years ago. Now I see whoever is on my insurance list, if and when I need to see someone (rare). I can't imagine telling a total stranger how much I drink.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

PLEASE don't be soooooo self-centered that you think I haven't encountered people with your problems before. Don't make me drag answers out of you. Spare me the misery of your embarrassment and let's get accomplished what you came here for. Otherwise, make an appointment for some different time when you are ready, but don't waste my time beating around the bush. You ready now?
LOL
Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jen - The doctor I am going to I was referred to after my favorite doctor had to go and retire. I don't love her so much, but I don't want to go shopping for a doctor--so I will just see what happens.

Thanks everyone for all the support. :ghug

I just can't believe how nervous I am. I have a huge lump in my throat and a very irritated stomach, but at least I feel like I am moving in a positive direction and hopefully stopping before something bad does happen!

Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I can TOTALLY relate to your nerves, but I am SO SO PROUD of you for doing this. Please do update us tomorrow. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oops Trying so Hard, I meant to direct that first part toward you regarding my doc!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
What if you don't have a regular doc that you're comfortable with? The only doc I seen on a regular basis is my OBGYN and I seriously doubt that's who I should try to talk to about something like this.

Years ago I had a GP that I saw on a regular basis and knew by name, but that was years ago. Now I see whoever is on my insurance list, if and when I need to see someone (rare). I can't imagine telling a total stranger how much I drink.
Do you possibly know anyone that loves their doctor?
That is how I found my GP. He treats my whole family.