SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   OK I'm ready to do this! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/155906-ok-im-ready-do.html)

HopeTo180 08-19-2008 02:14 AM

OK I'm ready to do this!

I do everything with 100% effort. When it comes to drinking, that's not a good thing. I'm determined to quit drinking. I have said/done some really stupid things. I quit for an 8 day fast and felt like a million bucks. I've gone to a couple of AA meetings but didn't think the help was there. I realized that the best way to quit is to use my personality to my advantage. Hopefully SR will be the edge I'm looking for.

Jig 08-19-2008 03:04 AM

Welcome Hopeto.

There is pleanty of support and help here. I know SR has helped me, I'm sure it can do the same for you. One day at a time.

tommyk 08-19-2008 04:46 AM

Congrats, keep coming back.

Know that the AA meetings are there if you need a lifeline.

CarolD 08-19-2008 04:50 AM

Hope all goes well for you
Welcome to our recovery community...:wave:

least 08-19-2008 04:50 AM

Just don't pick up that first drink! I believe in AA's motto: One Day At A Time. It's working for me. I only have to stay sober for today. You can too!

:ghug3

Anna 08-19-2008 05:23 AM

Hi and Welcome,

You've made a great decision.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.

txsar 08-19-2008 05:23 AM

Welcome Hopeto180! I'm new to recovery too, working on day 10, and have found some great advice, encouragement and inspiration on this site.

txsar

HopeTo180 08-19-2008 06:21 AM

Least, I like that, it's simple!

HopeTo180 08-19-2008 06:23 AM

txsar, Congrats on your success! I'll be honest, 10 days seems so far away!

Rella927 08-19-2008 06:44 AM

Welcome Hope! Glad that you found us! SR is a great place filled with a lot of support-Please check out the other forums-"Alcoholism" and the stickies at the top of the page!

The decision you have made will turn out to be an awesome new road for you :hug:

Keep posting-we are here for you!

txsar 08-19-2008 06:47 AM

Hopeto180, just worry about today:)

bostonluv 08-19-2008 08:48 AM

Hi Hope. You'll find the support and encouragement you're looking for here. AA isn't for me but a lot (A LOT) of people use it with great sucess. Glad to see you here. I'm late to work...better get going. WELCOME.

Aysha 08-19-2008 10:01 AM

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...a/welcome1.gif

Hilltopper1972 08-19-2008 10:13 AM

Welcome. This is a great decision on your part. I'm on Day 2! I have a migraine which I've had since yesterday. I assume all part of the detox I'm going through. Most important as I've been through this before and failed is you have to get over the fact that you can't drink like all your friends and buddies. Accept it. Break the ties, cause you're gonna lose your best friend in alcohol. It is over. Are you ready for that?

HopeTo180 08-19-2008 12:04 PM

I'm ready Hill. I have had a headache all day but I understand why. Each symptom I experience will be used to empower my decision. I also understand that I've been blaming myself for my divorce two years ago. I divorced her because she passed out every night. I had to go look for her each night around 3am with a flashlight. I tried everything I could with her but she LOVED drinking. I'm done blaming myself, I was the good guy through that hell. I, like many, could quit for a few days. But, with that first sip, it was like I just stepped out from a time machine. I'm taking myself out to dinner tonight. I never did drink after eating (would ruin my buzz). I'll try every trick in the book, hey, whatever works right? About the friends, I didn't have any (did I write didn't). I always drank at home, alone. No DUIs because I had (did I say had) an incredible fear of getting a DUI. The ex wife had three of them. I'm ready to go hill. I know what to expect because I've quit so many times before, I'm a pro. This will be my last quit. Thanks for letting me vent. Writing really is great therapy.

Rella927 08-19-2008 12:08 PM

Writing really is great therapy.
Yup it sure is! It works for me :wink:

Eclipse 08-19-2008 12:11 PM

Good for you and good luck 180!

Bamboozle 08-19-2008 01:06 PM

Hello, HopeTo180! I think you'll find that this is an excellent place to write. SR has helped me so much. Take it easy. :)

HopeTo180 08-19-2008 03:32 PM

I'm back from dinner

Before eating I noticed my hands shaking. I didn't know if that was from not drinking tonight or not eating since breakfast. Once I ate my salad the shakes stopped. I still have the headache and just took two Tylenol. I'm trying to keep busy to occupy my mind. My normal bedtime is 2 1/2 hours from now. I'm almost there. I'm hoping I will feel better tomorrow. It has to get better each day right? I'm hoping, at least, I won't have a morning hangover.

bostonluv 08-19-2008 03:38 PM

I'm hoping I will feel better tomorrow. It has to get better each day right?
Yes. You will feel better soon. Insomnia was a problem for some of us (about 5 days for me) but others have reported almost no sleep disturbances. We are all different. If you can't sleep tonight, don't fret, just relax with a peaceful movie or book. My biggest reward in the beginning was waking up without a hangover. In fact, some mornings I still marvel at that. Cheering you on Hope!