Notices

Writing and Alcoholism?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Writing and Alcoholism?

I have often wondered about the connection between writers and alcoholism, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts?
I am by no means a professional writer, but it is something I like to do and I am planning on submitting a book I'm writing for a contest coming up this winter. I have also noticed alot of people here on SR seem to like to write as well - so I just wanted to know what you all thought of the connection between the two.
Some of my favorite writers: Anne Rice, Stephen King, Ernest Hemingway, and Marguerite Duras (just to name a few) all struggled with alcoholism and I know there are many more I could add to the list

Any Thoughts???
Old 08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Jen,

Good luck with your book and contest! I haven't noticed any connection between writers and alcoholism, however I am not a writer. I do see connections elswhere. Bariatric surgery (I had it) Heriditary, environment etc..
I will be curious to see some responses later.
As a writer I think you will enjoy this article I read this morning..

And the winner of the worst writing of 2008 is ... - CNN.com

(You might have to copy and paste this link).

Heavy
Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oscar Wild said something like most people train their minds to behave, writers train their miinds to misbehave.

Stephen king said writing should come secondary to living, as he was an alcoholic.

I'm not sure about it all really.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Truman Capote

F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dylan Thomas

William Faulkner

Tennessee Williams

Edgar Allen Poe

James Joyce

Jack Kerouac
Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Heavy! thats awesome... i had no idea such a contest existed! i bet i can come up with some lousy opening lines - lol!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

btw heavy - i didn't know you had bariatric surgery, do you think you swapped one addiction for another?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Day 44 in sobriety and I have never come close in my life to writing as much as I have these last 3 weeks.

I'm no James Joyce though
Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I'm a writer and have wondered the same thing.

Only explanation I have come up with so far is that it may have something to do with isolating and having a crazy mind.

I also think because of our disease we see the world in a slightly different way than other people, hence why alcoholics make such good writers.

A few years back I went and did a year long writers course and their were maybe 15 of us in the class. Part of this course (through out the entire year) involved us doing writing excercises every morning. The class consisted of maybe 15 of us and after a period of time it became obvious that some of us had rather 'out there' thinking while others thoughts all traveled the same path. This was refelcted in what people wrote about.
I.e. we had to do some writing about clothes lines - so most would write about hanging out wet clothes. Then one of us more crazy ones (there was a guy with bi polar and he came out with some great stuff) would write about someone wanting to hang themselves on the washing line.

Maybe it also has something to do with us being so dramatic too?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jig - I totally agree! I always thought it was kind of cool and artistic to drink but you know what? I NEVER wrote a word while drinking - all the writing I have done has been in sober periods.

Liz - I agree with you about the isolation, I also thought maybe it has something to do with depression - like maybe some of your former classmates
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizw View Post
I also think because of our disease we see the world in a slightly different way than other people, hence why alcoholics make such good writers.
I don't think think this. i think imaginative people are drawn to crap like drink and drugs because it can help them, at the expense of their real lives.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Jen, checking back in.

I did have bariatric surgery, I don't think I'm swapping addictions necessarily because i also drank before the surgery, I was just able to handle it better. The "Bypass" part of the surgery bypasses your duadnum (SP) The part of your intestines that regulate Calories, alcohol etc. It doesn't take much for me to get going, and now the problem is i don't seem to have an off switch, s maybe a combination of factors are in place...

Heavy

P.S. Tomorrow I'll PM you some of my bad writing.... Got to go for today..
Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

add Raymond Chandler Jack London Dashiell Hammet James Ellroy and Brendan Behan to the list.

I think seeing the world in a particular way makes great writers - and can also tend to make alcoholics.

I don't think drinking aids the writing process tho - however we might romanticise Hemingway or Kerouac...it dries up the muse, eventually. Like everything else when we're drinking, booze wins out.

as Brendan Behan said "I am a drinker with writing problems".

D
Old 08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
I don't think think this. i think imaginative people are drawn to crap like drink and drugs because it can help them, at the expense of their real lives.

The big book of alcoholics anonymous talks about this.
Says something like "didn't men of genuis compose their best projects drunk?" Can't think were it is right now, maybe is in there is a solution chapter???

I have to add one of the young guys in my class, talked about how he was an alcoholic but he still drank. I think he wanted to be a beatnick - that's what they're called right? I may have spelt that wrong.

I always wanted to tell him, wearing trendy clothes, drinking expensive drinks and living at your folks may cramp your style if you were going for this look.... Lol.

Was he a good writer? Yeah I suppose. I thought the bi polar guy was better as he was more reliable. The young guy was a bit hit and miss. I think as it has been mentioned, he spent too much time being to 'be a writer' than he did writing.

Has anyone read Augestenn Burroughs? I probably spelt that wrong too. I think he is great.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic - I am a writer. However I have never done much writing while drinking, I tried a couple of times and what I read the next morning made no sense.

During my sober periods I have always loved to write, every sense I was a child. One of my favorite things to do is to find a secluded place in the woods, or a place with a beautiful view etc... Then I write, and it is one of the most freeing feelings that I have ever experienced. Great therapy.

Thanks Jpat - I think I will start writing again.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

There's a stereotype that creative folk (writers, visual artists, musicians, performers, etc.) either suffer from more addictions or are more prone to become addicted as compared to non-creative people. I don't believe that's true. My deal isn't writing, it's visual art. Since I'm not a writer I'm sorry that I'm chiming in, but I think it's interesting that people are talking about this. I've met plenty of non-creative types who abuse all kinds of substances. Perhaps because everyone expects creative people to abuse things, it's easier for creative types to admit their failings? I have no idea...I'm probably just talking out of my a$$ right now. Sorry if it stinks.