Notices

I'm new

Old 08-13-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

I see myself in you so much also. I was so certain I was strong and willful and stubborn enough that I could do this alone.

Well I finally found out through many hung over mornings that I could not do it alone. I needed the help of others who had walked in my shoes, and knew how to stop for real, and for good. I love AA because I can be in a room of people who understand where I am coming from, and can give me so much advice.

The other thing is that I took advice and suggestions from ANYWHERE and ANYONE I could. I just became willing to listen. That was all I had to do.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

As some others have said, AA is not the only way to sobriety....please explore all your options. And playing scrabble with other sober women is a really good idea! You will, however need to meet them!

maybe check out the secular connections threads...and just sorta look around SR and see other people who have found alternative ways to stay sober. What I do to stay sober probably doesn't "require" AA...but it is something I have only been able to do within AA.

The common thread I see in SR is the need to share about sobriety with other alchoholics. The WE part seems critical and I myself am someone who has enjoyed greatly being single and spending time alone. There is room for both parts in my life.

Keep coming here and sharing. It helps me.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

good day

This has been a good day! I've run upstairs every so often to check and see who has written. I talked to my daughter too, and she's drinking club soda tonight. LogCabin, your porch looks so much like mine even the flowers are the same color. Mine's not a log cabin but it's small and tucked away in the
mountains.
I have been divorced for 10 years...husband was bad alcoholic, finally got sober (on his own) is remarried now and we are all friends. (I still have some deep resentment though I think....from the physical abuse, cheating, etc. but I've moved on from that as best as I can). He's got lots of money now too....dern it!!
I have 3 absolutely amazing kids in late 20's and early 30's. Both daughters drink too much so I want so much to be an example for them. Maybe I can lead the way. My son drinks beer but not to excess...probably doesn't want to be like his dad.
Guess I'll call this - day one.
:-)
Old 08-13-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roger2 View Post
I don't believe alcoholism is a disease. What? Does a drunk sneeze on you and then you catch alcoholism???
You need to look up the definition of disease. A disease is not necessarily communicable - something you "catch" like measles or whooping cough. It can also be something you are born with, like MS, or develop, like arthritis or diabetes.

Alcoholism is a lot like some forms of diabetes in that it can be 100% controlled by behavior.

Alcoholism by any widely accepted medical definition, is most certainly a disease.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Here is a list of various recovery programs
SMART might appeal to you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Keep posting....
Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

cough cough

I know about the "disease concept" argument that has been going on for the past 200 years. From the definition, well, old age is a disease...or life itself could be considered a disease! And it's fatal!
My ex husband was a disease too.
Anyways.....it's just something to waste time arguing about that will never be resolved.
Hey, how did you pick that out from my message and then write about it?
How can I do that?

"It's always darkest, just before it turns completely black".... ha
Old 08-13-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Roger2

It's a habit, it's addictive (fun things are) and basically you just have to kick yourself in the butt and quit. Need to eat healthy, think good thoughts, exercise, and figure out why getting wasted is better than not getting wasted.

If this is true than why do you suppose you need to go outside all this stuff seeking support and help?

Im not an AA person either, but I do believe I needed to admit I was powerless and my life was unmaneagble before I could attemp to quit. Its not a matter of just stopping. Much more goes with that. Its been over four months since I had a drink, but it isnt the not drinking I focus on. Its all the stuff that led me to drink in the first place. If you dont think AA is right for you, well I think you should try it again. Just try, it cant hurt. Also check out the link CArol refferred you to.. I got some good stuff out of it.

Whatever you do I wish you the best and hope you stick around.
Welcome,
Beth
Old 08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Roger2

I do not buy into the disease model myself. I finally had to come to the place in my life though that it doesn't matter anymore whether or not I believe it is a disease or not, or if I just lack self control and I had crossed that line. The thing is I want to learn to live w/ out any kinds of substances because i felt like they were defining who I was. I also came to the point that I could not safely use in any form and control my using, just for today!

I still do not agree w/ some of the stuff the meetings of AA/NA (but for other reasons than just the disease concept) but I decided that I couldn't do it on my own anymore. And guess what???? I made clean and sober girlfriends! one lady "L" comes over and brings her son and our boys play and we eat and play cards! We don't drink or use and we attend meeting together!

So you see, it took me a little bit, I started meeting probably in Nov. or Dec. but I made friends and I am sober as of 1/20/08. My life is so much better, my future is brighter and my fear has left me!!!

welcome and blessings! Sheila
Old 08-13-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roger2 View Post
Hey, how did you pick that out from my message and then write about it?

How can I do that?
Hit the "QUOTE" button in the lower right. If you do not see the button it may be because you do not have enough posts, some functionality is limited until you post X number of times.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

some functionality is limited
Hum....wonder if I did this right. Oh this computer. When I turned it on all the icons and words were really BIG. I didn't do anything to it last night either. I got the icons smaller but the print is still pretty big.
Maybe it's because it's DAY TWO. WOOT ! And I can see clearly now the rain is gone....it's gonna be bright bright sun shiny day !!!!
I'm already planning what to do today instead of puttering around the house feeling bad (like yesterday).
I feel like there's this little group of people somewhere out there rooting for me. Pray for my daughter's too. They struggle with this "affliction" (I like that word better).
Wow, the new Hadron super collider is going to fire off some protons around the first of September and get them up to 99.9% of the speed of light!!!!
Some people are afraid it'll create mini black holes that will suck the earth up.
That would be a bitch!
:-) thanks ya'll.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

glad you are feeling good this morning! You started me off with a smile....I love supercolliders!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

happy day

So, it's not great being on day 2 but it's better than day 1. So while I'm scrubbing the floor I hear my daughter on the radio! singing a song from her new CD. I was so so proud and excited. Tomorrow is her CD release party....and her picture is on the front page of the entertainment section of the paper...all over town!!!!!!!! woo hooo. And she's on day 2 also!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for the support ya'll.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

How are you doing Roger2 with your Day 2?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:54 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

doin' ok

Hey liddy - I'm doin' ok. Got a bunch to do today...many temptations.
Live radio interview 88.7 WNCW (you can listen live on the internet) ....then CD release party tonight. Nikki and I are hangin in. Ate a bunch of fruit strudle last night....had some anxiety but am perservering.
Day....THA-REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee.
Oh...to be a bird.
love ya'll - thanks so much for the support!
Annie
Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Roger2, what time is your interview? I'll listen...on the radio

Hang in there!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

nosedive day 3

Just couldn't do it. Had a few beers friday night. Then on Sunday blurred out with a 6 pack. I'm calling this day, day 4 (6-2=4).
Feel great though other than that. Should I be miserable?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Me too

I nose dived too. It is really hard on the weekends for me not to drink. We went to the cabin and the temptation is too much. I like big bottles of wine and drank a few of them over the weekend. I am very anxiety ridden today. I just can't sit still and I keep thinking, if I just have one glass of wine it will calm me down, but I know where that goes.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Should I be miserable?
Why? you made a choice to drink and you did.

...The only sober time I count is my own.

Hope you are finding SR interesting...
I certainly do.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-18-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

keep trying

Eclipse - I know about the wine weekend and the anxiety...I'm sorry you nose dived.
I like those big wine bottles too, you buy the big bottle cause you are only going to have a glass or two and then you can have the bottle for the whole week, only it's gone in the morning.....I only drank beer last weekend so I don't feel bad.
The worst is the BOX wine! It's cheap and you have no idea how much you are drinking.
Just keep trying to rack up sober days. Don't feel defeated. That's what I hated about the consecutive day thing....like you are supposed to go totally without drinking for 30 days etc. and then you go nuts one night and drink and it's like it was all for nothing. Well I say NO. Count your days sober and make them to be MORE than days you drink and be proud of those days. Feeling like a failure only makes you want to drink! Youre on this website and your trying....that's something.
I live out in the woods so if I can make it home without any wine I've got it made.
Don't give up !!!!!!!!!!!!