Notices

IOP Group Discussion Topics

Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

IOP Group Discussion Topics

Hello Everyone
I'm still fairly new to the recovery process and have been tasked with leading my groups session in the morning. I want to take this seriously, since I view my disease as a very serious and life threatening problem. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for subject matter, something that would catch the attention of a group ranging in age from 18 to 54, something that could help people with direction. I know it's a tall order but I am attempting to use all my resources and these forums have been an endless source of help to me through this the most troubling time of my life.
I would like to thank all in advance for any input. You are all such wonderful and intelligent people your help is priceless....
Bruce
Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

what's acceptable in an IOP group.
I've never attended one.

Wishing you the best recovery brings....
Old 08-11-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Gratitude is always a good general discussion topic.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My IOP group didn't do anything like this, so I don't know. It seemed to me that the IOP was focused on different things than an AA meeting...what about triggers and what you do when they come up or faulty thinking and in what ways you have changed your faulty thinking?

Just a few ideas that related to my IOP expereince. Also, maybe ask your councelor of IOP for help on this.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's still early recovery so maybe you'd like to discuss "different places, different places." In other words, the importance of breaking ties with using friends and lovers and forging new friendships with other clean people both in and out of our program.

Another good one...finding a sponsor.
What about...."dealing with feelings." That's another great newcomer topic.
Or...Step One...you can read it, then talk about working it.
Or... Use the Just for Today.
Or...Dealing with cravings.

Just wanted to give you some of the issues I deal with as a newcomer. I bet you'll do great.
KJ
Old 08-11-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"The importance of breaking ties with using friends and lovers and forging new friendships with other clean people both in and out of our program."

KJ - Good topics. As a newcomer I'd like to hear about dealing with the one above. The only answer I got to that in NA about 12 years ago was, We are your friends now. I never went back.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Boston!
I have to ask you what made you afraid about "we are your friends now?"
At least for me, I can never have too many good, clean friends. That would be like having too much fun!!

What I'm saying is; Do you not have room in your life for new friends from NA? Because I've met some really great women in NA. One of them I called when I wanted to pick up today, and she really helped me. Hey, I'm a great friend to have, you might even meet me in NA!

I have other clean friends that aren't in NA. They are folks who never struggled with addiction. So they can't really help me with this recovery thing. I treasure them, too, but when I need help with recovery, I turn to my NA friends.

And to be honest, I had to let some using friends go. Friends who drank too much, I couldn't spend time with any more. I had to break up my 3-year-long romantic relationship in recovery, too, because he quit trying to stay sober. We got clean together, but he decided to go back and drink some more. So I left that alone. And as a result, I'm lonely and sometimes I'm scared that nobody will ever love me again.

I have the people from NA, and they love me when I can't yet love myself. If you don't need that, God bless you. If you think it's a cult, well, maybe it is. But whatever it is, it's working for me, and for some other addicts and alkies that I know. I hope that makes some sense, and you can see why I'm still working NA.
KJ
Old 08-11-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

triggers is a good topic as already stated above....ie lonliness, anger, boredom

having a plan when urges/complusion comes (calling someone, going to a meeting, H.A.L.T., etc)
Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I found when I was doing IOP..That forgiveness was a huge topic. It is a key process in recovery and alot of people have alot of resentment to let go of in order to move forward. And it is also alot of the reasons why people use to begin with. It also gives people a chance to talk abotu underlying issues. I noticed people got stuff off their minds and got some advice as well.
And sometimes it just feels good to get things out. Like a huge release.
Just my 2 cents.