Notices

Vop

Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vop

I VOP for curfew and i have a lawyer who wants me to pay him 2500.00 to represent me in this voilation My question really is do you think this matters. If her represents me will the outcome be different..? I have a job i've had for over 3 yrs. I have never VOP on anything but this curfew .. And i will have my drug and alkie class's done the night my court day is.. (is the last day of my classs)

??????????? I just dont want to waste the money

Old 08-15-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you talk to your PO?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a new PO the one that VOPed me is gone

She said that the lawyer wont make a difference the judge is going to say yes or no ..

There is no deal to make or anything like that correct>?? so i really don't need him?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not a lawyer, so i cannot give advice. The reson I asked if you had spoken to your PO was to see what he/she said about it....
Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry, you said you never vop on anything but this curfew. You did it. What would your job do if you violated a work rule?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PUt me on probation.. Im just wondering if anyone else has VOPed I was just wondering if my lawyer is going to make a big difference..
Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I VOP'd, but I was on a first offender status and was locked up for almost 6 months (this was 3 years ago). Most of the people I know who VOP end up doing at least some time in county jail.

I don't know about the lawyer...I do know of several people WITH lawyers where it didn't make a difference. I'm still on probation but haven't violated it because #1 - I'm in recovery and don't do the stupid stuff I did, and #2 - I really, really don't like jail.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-15-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mike,
It depends on where in the country you are. In the city here, you have to, like kill someone or something to do time on VOP, really. But in the neighboring county, I see 'em going back in the joint for real petty stuff. My ex was VOP'd for recontacting me against court order in that county. Someone else that day was put back in for missing one meeting with their P.O. Another for peeing dirty one time. But like I said, in the city, man, you just have to come to court on time with some type of explanation (Mom was ill, had to go get her some medicine) or whatever.
A lawyer is important if you're facing time.
KJ
Old 08-15-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

okay i'm NOT giving you any advice here, but you asked if anybody ever VOPed and i have to raise my hand. i flunked UA 2x and was not violated either time.it really does depend on your original charge, the judge, and how your current PO feels about you.since you have a new PO, it may be prudent to introduce yourself in person and see if you can come to an understanding regarding your violationa nd see if an agreement can be made. try not to treat him/her as the enemy--they're just doing their job.if the PO is dead set on a violation and if you are really concerned about having legal representation at this hearing i'm sure you can find one that will rep you for less than 2,500.00.