SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Advice Finding a Sponsor? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/155421-advice-finding-sponsor.html)

Blake'sTyger 08-11-2008 10:15 AM

Advice Finding a Sponsor?

Hey all,

I've been running my program without a sponsor, but know that I need one if I don't want to go out again.

My first sponsor was a disaster. Then I went without for a long time. Now I've called someone I met at a meeting, who I thought would be a great candidate...only to get blown off-- I left a message, but no call back.

Trouble is, I'm shy. I often don't like meeting new people. I'm just now slowly even beginning to learn to let my guard down.

I know I need a sponsor. I just don't know what I should do.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

All the best,

B'sT

Ananda 08-11-2008 10:23 AM

I highly recommend that people read the pamphlet on sponsorship. Then...the only way out is through. At some point I simply had to decide to ask no matter how scared I was.

Wish you luck!

four812 08-11-2008 11:00 AM

I like to watch prospective "sponsors", and see them a few times at meetings, and perhaps just talk with them (not about being my sponsor). I have found that the first time they can seem like the best thing since the shoe was invented and the next time I wonder what the heck was I thinking.

I'm sponsorless.....but I do make it a point, a part of my meeting, to always talk with someone before and/or after the meeting. at least one person, 5 minutes minimum. more than one is even better. I have to put myself out there a little bit and try to be part of the group in some way. I'm doing this more, making it a mandatory part of my meeting. I need about a 2 hour time slot to go to a meeting. the contacts/conversations can be just as rewarding as a meeting, and if it was an unrewarding meeting, it can still be a "feel good" time if I make a good connection.

If someone asks me if i need a sponsor and offers themselves, I almost automatically put them in the "you're not going to be my sponsor" category.

tommyk 08-11-2008 11:08 AM

^ Both VERY good suggestions. ^

Also - maybe be sure your prospective new sponsor is familiar with the 12 steps. I feel it is a primary responsibility of a sponsor to guide the sponsee through the steps.

Spiritual Seeker 08-11-2008 11:33 AM

Do you go to mtgs. at the Canyon Club.
Lots of old-timers there in a large variety of mtgs.

Part of recovery is breaking down resistance, which is sounds like you are doing.
You're seeking a sponsor...you can get it done by making it a priority this month.

GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE MOVING FORWARD.

mle-sober 08-11-2008 01:17 PM

If someone asks me if i need a sponsor and offers themselves, I almost automatically put them in the "you're not going to be my sponsor" category. -- ksplash5

Why would you do that?