SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back again, with a chip on my shoulder (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/155366-back-again-chip-my-shoulder.html)

justsomeguy 08-10-2008 01:18 PM

Back again, with a chip on my shoulder

Well folks, a quick look back at my stats and it looks like i've been on here since 9/14/06. I wanted to quit long before that. I have made countless promises on here about it. None of them ever lasted more than days/ or a couple weeks.

Well Last Wednesday on 8/6 I decided it was time to start taking action and stop making promises. After a horribly sick day I decided to suck it up and call a doctor that specializes in detox . I went in that day. I got Meds, I slept very well that night and since. I saw him again on Friday with my wife who also admits she needs help. He gave her the medication too, to get us through the first few days.

So, this morning I took the next step and went to my first AA meeting. I got my chip. :)

I can only say the meeting was NOTHING like what I thought it would be, the people were great, they were all like me, I couldn't have felt more welcome and excited about the future.

I already got a great guy who offered to be my temporary sponsor, I wasn't expecting that, but it's VERY encouraging.

I'm going back tonight and this time my wife is coming. I'm going to be doing my best to make 90 meetings in 90 days.

This forum has been a big encouragement for me to get off my butt and take action.

To all thenewcomers... get to a meeting, if you don't like it.. go to another one somewhere else. That's one of the things they told me today, GO TO OTHER places, I will, but I can't imagine I'll miss another Sunday morning where I went today. Really good bunch of guys.

Thanks for everything, and I'll keep everyone posted about my journey.

Anna 08-10-2008 01:23 PM

Wow!

That's a great post!

I wish you and your wife all the best as you enter recovery.

bostonluv 08-10-2008 01:23 PM

Hey SomeGuy thanks for the positive post! Glad you're feeling better.

Aysha 08-10-2008 01:28 PM

Glad your back..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...kk/welcome.png

Jersey Nonny 08-10-2008 01:45 PM

I can only say the meeting was NOTHING like what I thought it would be, the people were great, they were all like me, I couldn't have felt more welcome and excited about the future.
I'm glad you had such a positive experience...and your attitude seems so conducive towards maintaining sobriety, I have great hopes for your successful recovery. It always bothers me to hear so many put down AA based on hearsay...if only they would give the program and the people a fair chance, they (like you) might feel differently.

Best of luck to you and your wife.

ANGELINA243 08-10-2008 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by justsomeguy (Post 1865581)
To all the newcomers... get to a meeting, if you don't like it.. go to another one somewhere else. That's one of the things they told me today, GO TO OTHER places, I will, but I can't imagine I'll miss another Sunday morning where I went today. Really good bunch of guys.

That's great! I'm glad you felt welcome and are looking forward to going back! Fantastic! I wish both you and your wife well on the road to recovery. I hope she finds hope within the walls too when she goes to her first meeting. Way to go! :a194:

deezaldog 08-10-2008 01:55 PM

It is great that you took the first step. The only failure is to give up trying. I have found AA mtgs to be a great part of my recovery. I tried the 90/90 but I still relapsed. A old timer suggested that I might be a 180/90. I started 2 mtgs every day for the next 10 mo. Sometimes 3. That is my story.
Your wife and you have a lot of great sober days to work towards together. Great way to have support to stay sober. I wish you both all the best of health and sobriety has to offer you. Keep going to those meetings! Look forward to hearing of your progress. LOL

four812 08-10-2008 01:56 PM

hello justsomeguy

thanks for sharing your story. I'm excited for you too....today is only my 4th day myself so thanks for the encouragement

tommyk 08-10-2008 02:23 PM

More often than not... meeting makers make it.

I hope anyone who was ever skeptical about attending a meeting reads your words.

Nice post, I love the positive energy.

Dean62 08-10-2008 02:26 PM

I was surprised the first time I went to a meeting also. I don't know why we are when it's just a group of people like us helping each other stay sober.

Thank you for sharing with us here. Keep coming back.

Rowan 08-10-2008 02:43 PM

Welcome home. Thanks for sharing - please continue. Blessings to you and your wife.

CarolD 08-10-2008 09:22 PM

One for you....and one for your wife....
:cheer :cheer

lizw 08-10-2008 09:48 PM

Duno what i was expecting when I clicked on this thread but it wasn't this! So congrats to you and your wife. Go well.

:Val004:

dancinggirl 08-11-2008 04:47 AM

How wonderful to take this journey with your spouse! You sound very committed and I'm so glad you found a great group to join! I KNOW you can do this!!! Congratulations on getting your chip, too! I think the first one is the hardest...it means you've committed to this.

justsomeguy 08-11-2008 09:53 PM

Wanted to let evreyone know things are going great, I'm in a great mood, I can't believe how easy this has been this time with help. Getting to a Doctor, and getting a sponsor is a complete 180 feeling from every other time I've tried to quit. I feel I have people I can't let down now and the thought of drinking has not even passed my mind.

Unlike every other time when I got in a few days started feeling good about myself, started getting confident again, and started feeling I could handle it, this time I feel fantastic but I realize I could slip back in, and that is making me completely disregard alcohol, I really am already not even thinking about it.

I've already learned so much in such a short time from AA to open my eyes to easy ways to turn off the switch that allows me to let myself drink, when I know it's the wrong choice.

I will say that my second meeting was very different, you have to keep going, and going to different meetings to find the ones you like, and you have to expect different things. You will always take something away with you, but you may not like one as much as the other, that's OK.

My sponser said it's like going to 10 different italian restraunts, they all serve the same thing, but it's always different you like some, some you don't.

I'm excited about my future... I'm wondering where I'll be in 6 months. I do not in any way think I will drink again in that time, which is why I'm wondering... what will I have accomplished in 6 months.. the possibilities are very exciting!!! :a122:

I've had a long long day very tired, forgive my typos.