Notices

Being stalked on here

Old 08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being stalked on here

Ok...here's the situation...I have a stalker in my home town who has discovered that I am on this site and is now following my posts and reporting them back to me. Any suggestions on this situation?! He's implying that he's going to "embarrass" me as I've embarrassed him (I apologized to friends he'd tried to annihilate at a reunion I'd attended who had the nerve to speak with me). I no longer feel comfortable being here.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have anything to be embarrassed about by being here?

The best defence is "so?"

Or you could change your name.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I will PM you now.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think scoob had a good idea. I think I would change my name and just not let anyone know what your name is. How in the world did he figure out which one of the many you where? That is really strange.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

people like that usually end up embarrasing themselves more than anything. Don't let a turd ruin your hard work!!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The admin here are pretty protective of the members and will do something to help you out, I'm sure.

Stalkers are so 90's.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's horrible DG - Whoever it is should be DEEPLY ashamed of themselves
Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

to think people would be so low to be able to make you feel uncomfortable using an important resource for sharing your recovery experience makes me angry. Also makes me want to give them a piece of my mind as to what a selfish jerk they are. If they have beef with you maybe they could find their backbone and talk to you without trying to sabotage what you are trying to accomplish.

To whomever it is out there, if you are reading this... grow up buddy!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Day, by Day, by Day.....

I agree with all - change your name - protect your identity and keep away from that guy. Sounds really creepy.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is,nt it sad that when you are doing so well someone wants to come along and drag you down.
You already deal with alcohol, a disease you are trying to control and are doing really well , so dont let this looser win.
One day at a time in sobriety so dont even give this looser one second of your precious time.

Good Luck

Jacki3
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ever closer...

You said he tracks your message so I am sure he is tracking this

Hey Get A Life You Loser
Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Not a new issue here. The mods and administators are here for that.
Anna is already on it looks like. Your in good hands.

And to whoever this poor loser is. You mess with one of us..You mess with all of us.
So pitiful.

Dont let a punk like that sweat you.

Last edited by Aysha; 08-07-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lets keep it cool, I am sure the Admin and mods are doing all they can.

Kevin
Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are the police aware of the situation?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your posts. I've tried to figure out how to delete my account here, but can't quite find the info., so I'm just going to stay here as me. Perhaps a sign that I shouldn't run from this person? I didn't want to not be "me" on here anymore, anyways. Plus, I feel a part of this group and will remain dancinggirl.

Day 30, I believe, today.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Send a PM to Anna or MG and they can help you maintain your anonymity.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Ok...here's the situation...I have a stalker in my home town who has discovered that I am on this site and is now following my posts and reporting them back to me. Any suggestions on this situation?! He's implying that he's going to "embarrass" me as I've embarrassed him (I apologized to friends he'd tried to annihilate at a reunion I'd attended who had the nerve to speak with me). I no longer feel comfortable being here.
You are not alone...

It can get worse, believe me. I've had people pretend to befrieind me and then not only share our private conversations with countless others, but also use what I've shared in confidence to try to have me arrested.

People play games. Its a fact of life. Its also an indication of how truly sick they are. So much easier to point fingers and "mob" someone for personal power than it is to stay focused on their own recoveries.

A harsh and cruel lesson on boundaries. "Pick up what helps and leave the rest" -- I incorporate it into my program.

But don't confuse those sick and twisted ego-maniacs with this site or the good work that does happen here. Anybody can be "used" and SR is no exception.

As you can see, I'm still here, still sober, still living my life one day at a time. This place is good.

"Ego is the root of all evil"
Old 08-17-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Horrible. Is nothing sacred? I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
Having been stalked on the computer, I had to get my restraining order modified to include the words "will not contact electronically, will not impersonate electronically, will not monitor electronically."
My ex had hacked into my computer and was reading all my posts and emails (years ago) and then quoting them back to me in text-messages on my phone. I was so upset by this that I was crying at work when it would happen. I don't know why it upset me so much, I just felt like I had no where to hide.
Anyway, I had the court system put the above wording into my new restraining order two years ago. Then I had to have him arrested 2 times to get him to comply with it. It took spending the night in city jail to make him take this seriously.
Get help and don't quit until you get peace. You deserve privacy.
KJ
PS: Save any electronic messages, e-mail, texts, or written words or phone messages he sends for evidence. It was key in my case. Keep your head up.
KJ
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

"Some are sicker than others."

Seems to me like this individual doesn't want to see you doing good. . . sounds odd but consider it a compliment.

Pray for this individual and continue to let the Mods here help you. They are truly dedicated to our anonynimity, safety and sense of well being.

I hope this situation is taken care of soon. I know for me, SR is my "Safe place" I can come on here and express myself without worrying about any reprecussions from some wack job.

Don't let this idiot run you off or bring you down. I know it's hard to do, but have you tried ignoring it? I remember something my Mom told me as a kid that rings true for me. When someone sees that they are getting you upset, if that's their goal they are going to continue. If you ignore it, chances are, sooner or later, he'll stop. He won't be getting the results he wants.

Hang in there! We're here for you!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Yup, there are some "interesting" people out there. I actually know of a group who have worked together to cause internet problems. (Not here).

Anyway, I finally decided that all the things I did under the influence of drugs and alcohol are not who I truly am as a person. Just some pretty stupid stuff, and embarrassing, for sure, if it gets out into the real world...

For as we all know there are some pretty harsh and judgemental people, but in the end...I decided that they are not who I need in my life. And how very sad and sick for them that this is the way they choose to be a part of our world.

I was watching Sunday Morning, and they had on Craig Ferguson. I just love his so much. Watch what he said about Brittney Spears in this clip. (It is near the beginning if you can't handle the full 9 minutes of part 2.) But he is open about being a recovering alcoholic. And he shares his story at times on his late night talk show. Anyway...listen to what he said about the people who put Brittney down in this difficult time in her life, and why he refuses to do so. Talk about a respectable and honorable man.

This person who is harassing you will never be respectful or honorable even if sober. You, and all of us, who make the choice to live sober and honestly, on the other hand, can continue to be honorable and respectful in the way we live each day.

I may regret my past actions. But I can not change them. I have to live with them, but I certainly DON'T have to repeat them! The past is gone and over...all I can do is take care of myself this moment forward.