Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jen,

Here is a list of recovery programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i don't think that is harsh at all john - you're exactly right. i'm a binge drinker ( i used to drink daily but don't anymore) so i know alot of times i talk myself into being ok with my drinking because "i don't do it everyday, so it's ok" except it's not because when i do drink i am out of control.
but i do know if i continue on this path i will hit my bottom soon enough. i know my husband is EXTREMELY sick of coming home from work and finding empty beer cans and me passed out.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by JPat View Post
i've done AA before and didn't really like it. i'm considering it again though because i'm desperate - but what else is out there? i need something more than SR and willpower. i love all you guys and appreciate your support and understanding, but at the end of the day i'm accountable to myself and i need some type of system in place to help me then.
I took accounting twice in college, first time I got a D, second time I got a C.
Pathetic.

Took accounting again in grad school when I was ready & eager to learn - got an A.

'Trying' AA was like me 'trying' accounting in college. I showed up for class but that was about it. Once I started working it though, everything made sense, and it worked for me.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JPat View Post
i don't think that is harsh at all john - you're exactly right. i'm a binge drinker ( i used to drink daily but don't anymore) so i know alot of times i talk myself into being ok with my drinking because "i don't do it everyday, so it's ok" except it's not because when i do drink i am out of control.
I know exactly what you mean Jen. I was an everyday-every hour of the day drinker. Then I got a few months of sobriety and got it into my head that I could drink in a controlled way. Which I know sounds insane, but i wanted to drink, so I just told myself it was okay to binge on the weekends, because I still had 5 days of sobriety every week...which I didn't used to be able to do.

But I keep binge drinking, and doing stupid-stupid things and feeling awful and horrible about them, and everyone in my life is about fed up with me. So I'm going to give the AA thing a fair shot. I don't really like it much, and I have no desire to have a sponser/work the steps, but I figure going to a meeting or two everyday can't hurt, and it might even help. Are there lots of meetings in your area? I'm sure you've heard this, but you have to find meetings you "like" otherwise going will just be torture.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm not insane, but the record is skipping over and over again in the same spot...
Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

jpat, i feel that all the time. hang in there.