Notices

What does this mean to you?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does this mean to you?

3rd step - Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him
Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It means I quit trying to run the show, it means I let go and let God, it means I enjoy the ride while He drives, it means I follow His will, and not mine.

But let me clarify. I still have to do the footwork. I don't just sit back and assume that the God of my understanding will take care of everything while I stand around and watch.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

For me it means I had to stop future tripping, and not worry about what is ahead. I just have to move forward, and accept what comes my way.

This does not mean I don't have to be responsible, But it means I can't control EVERYTHING.

I can't control how people are going to treat me, or what kind of day I am going to have. I just accept that I will move forward and through the day, and when anything unexpected happens...I just roll with it. I try to not make myself too depressed or too happy based on what happens. I accept all that comes my way.

My Higher power is the Universe. It is something that is bigger than me, and It is something I can't control. And "time" is movement forward in our universe. I just have to accept time and movement forward no matter what.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, jd

i like the part about "made a decision". when i make a good decision, an important decision - that affects my recovery in a positive way - a lot of weight comes off my shoulders. so for me, that's a real valuable and rewarding part of step 3.

hugs, k
Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup; that 'making a decision' is the whole ball o wax for me. To me, this step means exactly what it says; no more, no less. So, even though, even the founders 'worked' this step by praying to/and turning their will over to the care of God as they understood him, they didn't write the step that way.....so, I work it as it's written.....I made a decision to turn my will 'n my life over.....and then went directly to work on my fourth step --- pretty simple, and even easy too, really...... (o:

NoelleR
Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This step seems to hold a different meaning each time I think about it. I do not attend AA meetings, but I've applied it to my life because I really appreciate the wisdom it holds in its different connotations. It always seems to boil down to two ideas:

Surrender: To me this is *not* the same as "giving up", but more about accepting the mess I've created by drinking, and handing it over to an HP.

Leap of faith: the scary bit. Having surveyed the damage, and after acknowledging a power vastly greater than my own, it's time to jump. Where? Well, I don't know. I guess that's the beauty of it. But wherever I wind up, I need to trust that I'll land on my feet. And that's not up to me.

So it's tough to put this into words.. I feel that it's an ongoing process, not an event. I surrendered gladly, and managed to overcome most of my fear of leaping. But I need to nudge myself every now and then, it does feel like a free fall after all, and the only comfort is knowing, deep down, that there IS a safety net.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All of the above, plus the word "will" is an important piece for me. I understand that I do not have the will to be able to quit on my own - I have to enlist an HP of some kind, be it your god or whatever works for you.

But that is the support that I needed to be successful in my recovery.

Dave
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I struggles with this for a very long time. Because I still am not convinced of the whole letting go and let God thing. But to me as of right now.
It means I need to stop thinking and just let it go to a power greater than myself. For me Karma..Life..On lifes terms. Not my terms.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

letting go of old thoughs, and ideas.

and stick'n to that decission...

to put it simply
Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

It means I have made a decision to accept a new way of life. One that is far better then any I have known before. The will of God as I understand her is love. It means when I find myself feeling Irritable and discontent, miserable, anxious, hurt, frustrated, afraid, angry or judgmental to name a few examples, I know I'm not sticking to my decision. Instead I'm doing things the old way, my way. Turning my will and life over to God as I understand her allows me to accept life on life's terms.