Notices

Worried about health

Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about health

I am worried about what kind of damage I have done to my body. When I drink, I obviously don't worry about it, but know that my head is clearing a little bit, I wonder what HAVE I DONE? It has only been a couple of days for me, but do I need to go to the doctor and get tests done? Or do I just wait and see how I feel? Will it be obvious if my liver is shot? I look up stuff on the internet and read just enough to make myself really freaked out. I am scared to go to the doctor...how do you ask for a test?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

We can't give medical advice on this board.

But, it seems, that if you're worried about your health, the best thing to do is to go to the dr.

I think you will need to be honest with the dr, and ask for a blood test.

I hope you take care of yourself.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Be very, very scared to ever drink again.

Think about the future damage you can do to your body if you drink.

It nevers hurts to have a complete physical.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with 51anna. If you are worried about your health, you should go to the doctor. They are your best source of medical advice. Sometimes when you read on the internet, your mind can get carried away thinking that all the things you are reading about are what you have. I know. Been there, done that. I finally went to a doctor and got checked out. Also tommyk had an excellent point about cutting the losses now and not drinking anymore if you feel that alcohol has damaged your body. You only have ONE body, so take care of it.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you are like I used to be....
I neglected my health when I was a drinker.

Sooo...yes an honest talk with your doctor is wise.
Make appointments for an eye exam and denist too.

...The new you deserves being the best you can be.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just a simple blood panel can tell the DR a lot regarding Liver and your body. I agree with the others you should schedule a physical and explain the DR exactly how much you drank.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Eclipse and ghal, always love having newcomers here.

Please see a doctor, be totally honest about the amount you drink, and get a full physical with blood tests done.

I had my work-ups done in a mental institution, not what I'd recommend but I'm grateful for the knowledge I gained from the experience.

Most of the damage I'd done to my liver and the rest of my body cleaned up very well with a proper diet, exercise, and most of all staying clean and sober!
Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ditto...see a doctor. If there is something wrong, fix it. At one point I was in an emergency room with near fatal acute kidney failure. I just received a clean bill of health last month with no permanent damage. You may have damaged your body, but that doesn't mean you can't recover.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I went to the doctor a few years ago (one of the times I was quitting) and told him everything. In truth about how much I drank, and more importantly how much I wanted to quit. He gave me some meds for quitting, and did a huge range of tests.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to tell the doctor. He didn't make me feel guilty, or like I was unworthy of help because I did it to myself (these were things I was afraid he would say or think). And most importantly he made me feel like I was an equal with him despite my problem. He talked to me about the tests and shared some stories about him drinking too much to make me feel better. It wasn't anywhere as scary as I thought. I am very sorry that I only got to see him once before he left town (he was only a visiting doctor).
Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks! I feel much better. I'm going to take all of your advice and go to the doctor. I am scared to admit how much I drink and how the doctor will react. But I think it will help me. I am also going to go to the dentist and eye doctor. I will feel like I am starting fresh!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fear over impending health problems should I ever drink again is one of the things keeping me sober right now.

I think a small dose of healthy fear is good for us all.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is my first post...but this one caught my eye. I have just begun to worry about the affects that my alcohol abuse has had to me physically as well. For today...that is what kept me sober! I agree...a honest call to the doctor is on my list!