Notices

In your face Booze!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In your face Booze!

If my weekend were a boxing match, it would go something like this...

Friday evening Booze against Heavy. I attended a good friends 12th annual Gin and Tonic party. (Fully stocked bar, not just G&T). There were several opportunities for me to sneak a drink with old friends and colleagues, but I resisted. I was then asked to make a liquore store run. I thought to myself, what a great time to sneak a little bottle of something for tonight or tomorrow. Then I thought about my 53 days sober. In your face booze, I win this one

Heavy 2 Booze 0

Saturday morning, I rode my bicycle in a fund raiser ride for the local food shelf. 40 miles, no hang over AWESOME!

Heavy 3 Booze 0

Saturday afternoon, I had to photograph a wedding. Nice weather, outdoor wedding, reception . Photo's looked great. Open bar at the reception, and me being encouraged to have a few (For free!). I resisted...

Heavy 4 Booze 0

Sunday, another photoshoot. A large unorganized family who just wouldn't smile! Got home, my wife was having a night -cap. In the kitchen, a nice cold open bottle of white whine. I could've had a swig right from the bottle, went for the iced tea instead...

Heavy 5 Booze 0

Heavy is the Heavyweight champ of the weekend!!!

Heavy
Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I wish I could keep hitting the Thanks button! I can't believe you resisted so often! I would give my left arm to resist just one of those temptations! Good for you
Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great Job!!! You are well on your way. At least you won. I had a relapse Saturday night but I am back on the bus. I am not beating myself up but trying to figure out what went wrong. I was sober for almost 8 days and then fell. At least it wasn't a long fall.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow resisting all those temptations is great!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The booze was no match for you heavy.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good going Heavy!

That little sneaky voice is always crooking its finger isn't it? My challenge is to PAUSE and consider where that 1 drink( hah, we all know that it wouldn't stop there) will take me. I don't want to go down that road again.

Congrats to you!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good work.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job Heavy! It's too bad we cannot just "knockout" the booze and be done with it, but you proved you are the "champ"! Keep it up!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ha! I'm only the champ because of the strength and encouragement of everyone here in my corner!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you survived sober....
Well done!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Thats awesome heavy.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Heavy, I had one incident yesterday. I was driving towards the ocean & it was a glorious day. My husband & I used to sit by the water & drink a few beers. I had such strong pangs of nostalgia and regret - I got tears in my eyes. You know, like remembering someone you love who's died or something - knowing you can't see them or talk to them again. For about 5 mins. I felt very sorry for myself, but lately I've been able to envision myself caving & where it would lead. I told myself if I have to have beer to feel good on this beautiful day, I better re-evaluate my life. It worked. These drinking thoughts are coming less often now. In the beginning, several times a day - now, maybe once a week. Stay with it, everyone - things do ease up.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Congrats Heavy!
You made a liquor store run? And went to a G&T party?
Wow, faint. That does not sound like fun at all.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
getting there

Wow, that's awesome! I'm worried I can't even resist a dinner where there's usually wine provided by me.... I have total control, and still I doubt myself. You are doing great!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
If my weekend were a boxing match, it would go something like this...

Friday evening Booze against Heavy. I attended a good friends 12th annual Gin and Tonic party. (Fully stocked bar, not just G&T). There were several opportunities for me to sneak a drink with old friends and colleagues, but I resisted. I was then asked to make a liquore store run. I thought to myself, what a great time to sneak a little bottle of something for tonight or tomorrow. Then I thought about my 53 days sober. In your face booze, I win this one

Heavy 2 Booze 0

Saturday morning, I rode my bicycle in a fund raiser ride for the local food shelf. 40 miles, no hang over AWESOME!

Heavy 3 Booze 0

Saturday afternoon, I had to photograph a wedding. Nice weather, outdoor wedding, reception . Photo's looked great. Open bar at the reception, and me being encouraged to have a few (For free!). I resisted...

Heavy 4 Booze 0

Sunday, another photoshoot. A large unorganized family who just wouldn't smile! Got home, my wife was having a night -cap. In the kitchen, a nice cold open bottle of white whine. I could've had a swig right from the bottle, went for the iced tea instead...

Heavy 5 Booze 0

Heavy is the Heavyweight champ of the weekend!!!

Heavy
To quote absent friends, hang out at the barbershop long enough and you'll end up getting a haircut. As a recovering alcoholic, I firmly believe I have no business hanging out at social occasions where the main entertainment is drinking. Would be like a recovering crack addict going to the crack house to socialize. Do I attend social functions where alcohol is served? Sure, pretty hard to avoid it. Not difficult to avoid drinking parties, or bars. Just a thought.