Notices

cannot seem to quit

Old 08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry cannot seem to quit

i keep getting down to 2 pain pills a day and thats as low as i can go.then when i do quit i have cravings week after week.is there any kind of meds besides suboxin or metadone that will help me.just a little help and i think i can make it.please advise! thank you -wht-:sorry
Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's just a question of deciding that you really want to stop using.

Believe that it's no longer an option.

The cravings will ease up and go away as you get into recovery.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I think being down to 2 is a great start (though I don't know how many you have cut back from). Can you cut it down to 1 for a while and then CT?

Have you spoken to your doctor about treatment or help?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Cutting back to 2 pills a day is great! When i was trying to get off pills (benzos.), I had to really gradually taper off, 1/2 pill per week, until I was finally down to just 1/2 pill per day. It was so scary, but I did it! It also helped that I was in a rehab. at the time, and they doled out the medications to us.

It's so hard at first, but worth the struggle, once you're off them!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I think it's just a question of deciding that you really want to stop using.

Believe that it's no longer an option.

The cravings will ease up and go away as you get into recovery.

I agree with Anna. When you get down that low and continue to have cravings for weeks and weeks, it beginning to look (to this non-doctor and non-pill person) that your craving might be in your mind more than your body? Is it possible that your continued cravings are a kind of grief about letting go of your addiction? It is possible that you haven't really surrendered to your addiction and to your need to get help and to radically change your life in order to move forward?

Obviously, the radical coesn't happen all at once. But for me, an acloholic who'd been drinking fro 25 years, merely going to an AA meeting was as radical as it got at the time.

Maybe letting go of those last 2 pills feels so radical that you are holding on to them and telling yourself that you have a physical need for them. Becuase if you were to let them go - stop taking them completely - flush them away - you would be on your own without defenses against the world and yourself and the bad things that you've tried to medicate for so long. You'd be free-falling. And you maybe don't trust yourself to catch yourself?

My 4 year old finally learned how to ride a 2-wheeler this week. And when he was ready to ride without anyone holding on to the bike at the back, he said so. But he said, "Just pretend you are holding on. And I will too." And he rode beautifully all by himself down the street.

BTW - You're never all alone. You know that right? We're here holding on if you need us too. Listening if that helps. Offereing support. The support you get here is so much better than the support you get from those 2 little pills.

Hang in there.