Notices

Anyone gotten sober and stayed that way without AA?

Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Reading your post brings to mind the saying 'don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' I'm not criticising you btw-just wanting you to keep your options open.

I don't do A.A either-but I've gone to the occassional meeting just for the support of being around other alcoholics face to face.And like you-I enjoy hearing the different stories people share,and that's ok.I am not a 'group' person and I have no desire to be.I never want a sponsor(ugh) and I despise holding hands with strangers, yet-I have gotten a lot from just being at meetings.As they often say-take what you want and leave the rest.I agree and I've done it and it helped.

It IS important you have a plan though-and like others have said-some programn of recovery.It doesn't have to be A.A but doing it on your own is really tough and we all need support.I wish you all the best however you go about it.Congrats on the time you have though-that's great!

Julesxox
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello Bostonluv and congrats on your sober days. I am pushing 11 months and did try AA earlier in the year but found it wasn't for me. Saying that, I have read the BB twice so far and no doubt will read it again and have learnt plenty from many of the AAers here.
I began with much determination and desire to change and that is still the same, but SR played a huge part in my daily routine which also includes exercise and thinking before I speak. Hope whatever you choose works for you, best wishes.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wow...

I have only been to one AA meeting (which was fine) and I have the big book, but I can't get through it. I don't know what my issue is, but I just don't feel like I need AA right now. Maybe it will be the same for you. Eleven days is a huge positive accomplishment and a great start!!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
where the light is

Here is a snapshot of how some members of my family achieved sobriety:

My mom: religion, volunteering
Uncle #1: spiritualism
Uncle #2: spiritualism, AA
My sister: had enough and quit, tired of making an ass of herself (her words, not mine)
Me: AA

My experience with AA has been incredible. It did take some getting used to but I am now able to respect and accept the "religious" and "ritualistic" aspects of meetings. If it helps others stay sober and live a good life, it's fine by me. My personal focus is on the 12 steps, integrating them into my life. For me, meetings are more about helping others, learning, and accountability.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

According to Penn and Teller:

Quiting with AA: 5% success rate
Quiting without AA: 5% success rate

This is for first time people deciding to quit and doesn't include relapse.

I have been going to AA for a month. I did it to meet new people who were sober. There are a lot of things I don't like about AA. "Powerless" is one term I don't like and I also don't think alcoholism is a disease. But, it seems to help when I hear people share and share myself. Going to a meeting can be beneficiary to someone like me who is new to sobriety.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

Yeah I saw that Pen & Teller on 12 Steps, that was pretty brutal, they didn't pull any punches.

I spent some time in AA (3 months), decided it wasn't for me, Been in SMART for about 3 months now and it's working for me.

I think my time in AA (although brief) was useful. Although I believe ultimately, the most important thing is the desire to be sober, and be completely honest with yourself. There's nothing wrong with exploring multiple programs/solutions.