Notices

You know its time when....

Old 08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You know its time when....

You stand in the kitchen and 11:00 am anxiously waiting for your kids to get out of the kitchen so I could secretly pour myself a glass of wine. So...today is Day 1 for me.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. It is always a good time for day 1. Congrats on your decision to start your recovery. How 'bout a meeting?
KJ
Old 08-01-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome :ghug I know exactly what you mean. Day 1 for me too.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

You stagger into a full lecture theatre at 9 in the morning,woozily take a seat then spray the pretty girl sat in front you with second hand vodka and kebab. (That inspired my first AA meeting 2 1/2 yrs ago, there are many others before and since,both remembered and thankfully forgot).

Welcome to SR, Eclipse, apologies for the above introduction, you're amongst great human beings
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You know it's time when...you can't wait for your husband to leave for work so you can run to the store for extra beer so he won't know you've drunk 20 before he gets home. Hands are shaking so bad you spill half the first one just trying to get it to your lips.

You keep vodka in a water bottle so you can sip it during family functions. (No one will know - it's odorless----yeah, right)

You wake up at 3am shaking & go to kitchen for a few sips so you can sleep. In the end, keep one by your bed for sipping on periodically during the night.

I wish I had stopped when I was at the stage you are Eclipse. You can avoid so much pain. Welcome to a wonderful community.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, I' ve done the 3:00 am thing too. You have to be really quiet so nobody will hear you pull out the cork....It just makes me sick to think about it. Just reading some of the posts and knowing I am not the only one out there being here makes me feel SO much better and more determined to take care of business!! Thanks so much for the welcomes!!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Eclipse!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Eclipse, if you're drinking beer you can cover the can with a towel & muffle the "pop". Sick. The lengths we go to, & justify it the whole time.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Hevyn, if I'd just thought of that can trick at a coupla points in my life I coulda saved a lot of hassle and chaos, *retrospective,DOH!*. Might not be sat here with a sparkle in my eyes,typing though.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Wow...

I used to not finish my final glass of wine at night and leave it next to the bed. Then in the AM I would go to "put the glass in the dishwasher" and chug it. It always worked because I was up at 5 every morning on a sugar rush/anxiety high... Ahhh... the bad old days!

You sound just like me, and let me tell you, you CAN do this. Keeping coming back here!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
You know it's time when...you can't wait for your husband to leave for work so you can run to the store for extra beer so he won't know you've drunk 20 before he gets home. Hands are shaking so bad you spill half the first one just trying to get it to your lips.

You keep vodka in a water bottle so you can sip it during family functions. (No one will know - it's odorless----yeah, right)
OMG Hevyn, I just inserted the words ex-wife & she instead of husband and he, and it described my drinking pattern to a T !

Once again I'm not so unique after all! ;-)
Old 08-01-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know, Astro, isn't it just so SPECIAL all that we have in common? Seriously, when I came here and saw all the other people who were like me I never felt alone again. I only wish I'd had the understanding, compassion & support of others in my life the way I do here.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh yes-the towel over the top of a bubbly corked wine bottle worked for me as well.I'd also take it into the bathroom to open(if it was morning) and flush the toilet just as I popped the cork-in case anyone might hear it.

I would also put wine in grape juice bottles(same colour and bubbly) so I could keep it in the fridge without 'anyone knowing'....

Geez-the things we did!I'm so glad it's over.

Welcome, eclipse.You can do this!

Jules
Old 08-01-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Yup Elipse!
I used to get SO irritated when my kids wanted to help or watch me make dinner cause that was my time to drink. I LOVE not having to worry about that now! Oh yeah and the wine bottle that sat on the kitchen counter that I kept there with a glass or two in it while the wine I really drank was underneath in the cupboards. I figured than I had an explanation for smelling like wine but if hubby was watching he would not think I drank that much. Oy vey!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Scary how we rationalize our sick behavior when we're doing it. It's only in the looking back that we finally see the insanity. My heart aches for those who never find their way out.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wow...

After reading this post, the thing that strikes me is that we are RELIEVED. That's an emotion I didn't really expect out of all of this. Putting an end to all of the plotting and scheming and lying is such a relief. Eclipse- I hope you start to feel the relief and the joy, because it will come.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It IS wonderful to have so many friends who understand what you've been thru. Understanding and so supportive. It makes such a difference for me and really helps me stay sober. I don't want to screw my life again and I don't want to have to go back to day one. Last time was the worst withdrawal and I never want to go thru that again. I am no longer a 'relapser' but a sober girl who wants more out of life.

Coming to the end of day 19 is such a good feeling!! Yippee Kiyay!

:ghug2 Eclipse, welcome to the site!!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mle-sober

You know it's time when...

You're pretty sure you had 6 bottles of wine in stock and only drank 1. But you can't find any of them in your usual hiding spots. You finally find 4 full bottles in your husbands work bench. (WTF?) Why did I think that was a good hiding spot?

And then backing out of the garage to take the kids to school, you notice 2 empties in your next-door neighbor's recycling bin. He doesn't like wine. Only drinks beer. Yea, I'm a genius.

- MLE
Old 08-02-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You pour your wine into a coffee mug so that when you take your dog out at 10:00 in the morning, any neighbors will think you're having yourself a nice cup of Joe.

If your sweet innocent children want to help with dinner thus cutting into the cocktail hour, you manage to sneak a bottle of wine into the pantry or out in the garage so that as you are "getting ingredients" or "throwing something in the trash" you can take a few swigs. This is even more effective with Vodka.

I never did the middle of the night thing though. I was up to 1-2 bottles of wine 4 days a week. UUGH!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
mle-sober

maltipoobear -

I've done exactly that "hide the wine in the mug while getting to get the paper" deal AND I've done the hide the wine during dinner prep so children don't see... usually I put mine in the bathroom cabinet under the sink and claimed I was having a little stomach problem. Sick Sick Sick.

Funny to find out I'm part of a club!

- MLE