Notices

Tell us who you are!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Post Tell us who you are!

This is something we do once in awhile on SR to get acquainted with each other. It's a great way for us "old folks in recovery" to get to know the newcomers, and vice-versa. OK, I'll start.......

My name is Scott, and I'm definitely an alcoholic! You'll hear me talk about my kids often, they're the shining stars in my recovery. They attend AA meetings with me every week, thanks to the program and my sobriety we share a life I never dreamed of having. We enjoy playing paintball, fishing, camping, hiking, cooking, watching movies, and lots of other hobbies together.

I also like amateur astronomy, motorcycling, service commitments, and most of all I enjoy spending time with my girlfriend who also works her own programs of recovery. The clean and sober life is amazing, I wouldn't trade it for one moment of my old life.

Your turn! Who wants to share next?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm Tom, I am VERY grateful to be in recovery.

I try to live the NA/AA principles and 12 steps as a lifestyle. Some days I come up woefully short, which is all the reason and motivation for me to try even harder.

Probably my biggest shortcoming, and strength, at the same time, is my eagerness, willingness, and hope, for all to achieve the high level of comfort & serenity the NA/AA program and 12 steps have to offer. It pains me at times to see us be our own worst enemies in the face of our disease.

I enjoy physical fitness and guitar playing as huge parts of my recovery. I consider myself a 'recovery musician' because I like to perform popular songs as they relate to various subjects of recovery.

Thanks for asking...!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I prefer to be called Ananda

and I am an older woman with an adult son who lives at home with me. I have 2 dogs. I attend AA, have attended NA at times over the years.

I am a "recycled" alchoholic addict and just got a year of sobriety this time around after an 8 year drunk.

I work, do AA, hang with the girls and play on SR. I love Dexter and Lost.

I always seem to have a story to tell...so don't get me started!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm Toomutch-

Have been sober for just over 5 months. I am strong and have overcome alot of stressful and tramatic events in my life. I went for 7 years without taking a drink. Following a great loss I started drinking again. My strong will, SR and God will pull me through whatever I encounter.

I enjoy pilates, golfing, hiking, weight lifting, cardio exercise, reading, learning, time with friends, family, and my doggies.

If you want to see pictures of my pups they are on my profile.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi - I'm mtnmagic. At one time I actually had 12 years sober. Lost that due to my own stupidity and have been struggling. I am on day two today. I found this site in December of 2006. I managed to stay sober through the holidays then relapsed. I have become a chronic drunk with a few sober days between for longer then I can possibly imagine.

I am divorced. My husband was in recovery with me for many years. After I relapsed after 12 years, he did too. His road has been even more difficult then mine. Currently he has more sobriety then I do. He has a few months, I am on day 2.

I have 2 sons, who are like night and day. They love each other very much, although they have different dads. The oldest is currently incarcerated due to probation violations. (He is addicted to oxy) The youngest is down at UCSB getting ready to start his sophomore year.

I have a boyfriend that is the ultimate Codie. His brother is the addicted person in his life. He is incredibly wonderful, yet will let me get away with murder. I know it so I have recently broken it off. Funny thing is I broke it off with the BF because I knew he would let me get away with anything. Not only does it hurt him, it hurts me.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
getting there

Hi, I'm colagirl. I'm in my 30s, have a professional job that I like and that pays well, own a house, and have two cats. I'm also an alcoholic (my drink of choice is red wine). I've been sober for 22 days today, although this is my 3rd or 4th try since I joined SR in May (I'm one of the "chronic relapsers").

I like to play tennis and racquetball and am trying to get back into running again. I love to travel, especially to Europe. I've been there 3 times and am currently planning another trip for spring of 2010.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi I'm buttercup!
I'm a married woman in my 30s with 2 sons ages 10 and 6. I own my own business and work from home. I drink way more than I should and have been trying to quit for about 8 months, currently have only 2 days. My kids are my life and i want to get sober to be the best Mom that I can be.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Hi All! I'm Judy, addict/alcoholic, mid 40's, happily divorced, proud Mom of my Son, Brandon who is 19.

Last week, I celebrated 3 years in Recovery after 32 years of a serious addiction to opiates and and became an alcoholic along the way. I choose the name Serenity Queen because I was unfortunately nicknamed the Queen of Relapse by the Nurses at the hospital where I had been a patient in detox numerous times for several years prior to July 25, 2005.

Please know that no one is too far gone to get into Recovery and lead a beautiful, rewarding life without the obsession of drugs and alcohol. I'm living proof! SR is a fantastic addition to anyone's system of support in their Recovery so use it for all it's worth!

We're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! We never close!

Keep it Simple,
Judy
Old 07-29-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Wow...

Hi, I'm The Bean!!

I am 28, married with no kids and I live in New England. Correction, I do have a kid, she's a 75 pound black lab and she means the world to me (her nickname is The Bean...) I have a great husband and he's been really helpful to me during this whole deal. We love to travel and go out on our boat on the lakes.

I've been drinking really heavily on and off since I got to college in 1998. I could have told you then I was headed for trouble. My dad is an alcoholic, so I've seen how the whole thing works. I got sober in February after feeling like I couldn't go on anymore. I am more content now than I've been since I was a teenager, before I started drinking and before my dad's got bad. I am really glad that I found all of you- coming here has been a huge help for me!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi, my name is Cathy and I am an Alcoholic.

....I am 43 years old and I am a single Mom to an almost 13 year old Son...who is awesome if I might say so myself. I work in an Auto Repair Shop as Service and Parts Manager, a job that I love(8 years now)!! My Degree is in Professional Food Service and I was a Chef for 18 years, I gave it up to spend more time with my Son and I don't regret it a bit!!!

....I went to inpatient treatment for 90 days, and ended up staying on and working there as a trainee for 19 months, I left because I was pregnant...and almost due!!! I was in a program through the treatment center that allowed me an apartment that was subsidized, I attended outpatient once a week and attended AA/NA meetings. Once I found a job, I took over my apartment, then came a better job, a better apartment..and so on.....fast forward a little over 14 years...still sober, own my own house, good job, great Son who has never had to deal with a Mom that uses, a legal license and a car, good credit, and my family loves and trusts me again....I get choked up thinking about how much my life has changed with sobriety....not always easy....but always worth it...Life is good....thank you God!!!

Cathy
Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am Trish,,Chiy..Whatever you want to call me. I dont care.
I am 32 live with the grams. I am a big teenager. Pretty pathetic. But we are like peas and carrots me and her.
I have a little over a month for the millionth time. But it gets better with every attempt. And it does get clearer and easier as time goes by.
I am learning alot about myself and for once I like what I see.
I love my family to pieces. Without them there is no me.
I am a very lucky person to have such a forgiving, supportive, loyal, unconditional family.
I like to eat..ALOT!! My little baby cousins make me laugh and give me perspective in life.
I grew up in S Florida but now live in NY. I miss the beach so much it makes me crazy.
I like to play volleyball but noone ever wants to play. Love beach cruisers. But no beach...and no beach cruiser.
I am clean another day and thats all I could hope for.

Last edited by Aysha; 07-29-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My name is Carol and I a recovering alcoholic/addict. DOC is opiates.

I have two girls, ages 6 and almost 10.

I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father and a co-dependent mother. I was adopted at 2.5 and my birthfather was an alcoholic/addict. Go figure, I got the nuture and the nature of addiction.

I'm greatful to be in recovery and also a retread. I've been to rehab and that finally helped me to get really honest.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Kathleen. I found this site last year and got some some time under my belt but moved to a new city and got a new job and went back to my old habits. I really started drinking out of control and heavily after my father passed away 5 years ago. I'm 32 years old and a certified property manager. I live alone with my dog and cat and recently broke up with my codie boyfriend. It's not his fault but I can't get healthy with him. I'm on day 8. Again. Someone else said it gets clearer and clearer each time. I agree. Each time, I've found what doesn't work and each time I come off a bender I know I'm an alcoholic and that I could accidently kill myself with this way of living. I don't know that I won't drink again but I know I shouldn't drink again.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi. My name is Mike. I am an addict. I have 17 days clean. After 2 1/2 years clean, I relapsed last September for one night that lasted nine months. Yes, I am an addict. I live in Oregon and love to ride Quads.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

Hi I'm mxchaos

I live in New England have two wonderful childern. Love to ride motocross and do water fitness.

I started parting at an early age then quit for 11 years only to become a binge/blackout drinker with Bipolar not a good mix. I'm 6.5 months clean and loving life
Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I'm Liz W, clean and sober 10 years, member of alcoholics anonymous, SLAA, Al Anon and also did NA for the first 4 or 5 years of my recovery.

I live in New Zealand, with my 13 year old daughter and mutley dog, Sparky.

I am 30 (31, in October, I never even got a 21st party) and in 2006 was diagnosed with MS then in 2007 they diagnosed fibro also.

I only work part time, due to my health, and currently that is in sales/marketing but but I am trying to find another job.

I enjoy writing, reading, watching films, laughing, hanging out with friends, going to meetings (they are a luxury these days) and I've recently joined a group that provides a forum to practise public speaking.

:day4
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I love Dexter and Lost.
Dexter rocks!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am going on 57 yrs old, single mom of four, and mom of two wonderful dogs who are my saving grace. Unemployed and disabled, but am now sober 17 days after vowing to quit drinking last December.

I like reading, am a movie buff and a Star Trek fan. My favorite thing to do is walking my dogs. Had a wonderful happy childhood and two loving parents. As far as I know I am the first alcoholic on either side of my family.

I found this site in March and have been trying to stay sober ever since, with limited success. I'm praying that this is my last time "trying" to stay sober. I am so grateful to my friends here who love and support me in my efforts to stay sober.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Too Old Frat Guy here (in reference to the fact that I've been still acting like I've been in college until recently even though I graduated in 2001!).

29 here, married, no kids, but I do have a black lab. I'm a big fitness nut (ironic right?). I don't think I've hardly ever missed a workout but I have puked through many due to the previous evening's activities.

DOC is bourbon, wine and beer...my wife has no idea how much I REALLY drank, and it really sucked to hide it from her.

I live in Atlanta and LOVE watching football and horse races, two activities that allowed me to drink away my Saturdays. I'm looking forward to sober Saturdays where I remember the games.

I was here a few years ago but dropped off. Now I'm back for good with y'all's help!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hi, i'm k - codependent mother of an alcoholic/addict. i'm a grateful member of alanon and appreciate all the support i get from sr.

my family was not affected by alcoholism when i was growing up, but i had a nine year relationship with an alcoholic man who lost his battle at age of 52 - died of alcoholic liver disease. he is the father of my daughter. her struggles are similar to his. i pray everyday that she can find recovery. i have a loving husband of 16 years, and we work together to try to support our daughter in the ways we can.

i like to garden, cook, take walks, paint, and listen to music. i watch baseball but my favorite show right now is "i survived a japanese game show"

a lot of people think i am pesty.

keep comin' back!