to continue my recovery. each day.
Works great for me!

My journey to recovery is in our Stories Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-story.html

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

peace...

Mike here, sober a few 24's...great Forum, been out of touch online for a few years. Wishing you all well and hope all having a great summer day!

mike

"When brimming with gratitude, one's
heartbeat must surely result in outgoing love, the finest emotion that
we can ever know." Bill Wilson

Last edited by gamingkrib; 07-30-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: need
Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi my name is Lynn, I'm 40 and live in Canada. I have two daughters, a beagle, a jack russell, and three cats (one lives in a closet so we never see her). I work full time and spend too much time commuting.

I got sober in AA, and recently celebrated two years clean and sober. I recently also started working with two new sponsees, and go to a lot of meetings. I love to go to the movies with my daughter, to read, to have coffee with friends, and to garden. I used to work out a lot before getting into recovery and hope to begin again soon.

I love taking naps. If it were an Olympic sport, I would be in Beijing right now going for the gold.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
I'm Toomutch-

Have been sober for just over 5 months. I am strong and have overcome alot of stressful and tramatic events in my life. I went for 7 years without taking a drink. Following a great loss I started drinking again. My strong will, SR and God will pull me through whatever I encounter.

I enjoy pilates, golfing, hiking, weight lifting, cardio exercise, reading, learning, time with friends, family, and my doggies.

If you want to see pictures of my pups they are on my profile.
I failed to mention on my first post that I have 1 daughter and 4 sons. They are 14,15,16,17 and 22. I also became a grandma on July 14. These kids are the center of my world.

I also faild to mention that as I was writing my list of interests, I made it seem as if I were involved in non stop work out. Not really, I do what I can when I'm able.

My OCD tendencies wouldn't let me rest until I fixed this. So now you know one more thing about me - I'm a bit crazy. lol
Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

<----- me = smallRaccoon

live in texas...24 years old...am an artist / photographer / animator / everything...
been drinking heavily for 6 years, been trying to stop for about 10 months, on day three starting today

oh and i like cheese...a lot
Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I'm called RecoveringRooferRon by one friend at my meetings, tripleR for short, changed my life direction on November 2nd 2005.

Recovery is the most important thing in my life. I would say God is the most important thing but God is not a thing, God is everything!

My hope is to be better, a better father, a better husband, a better friend, a better employee, this is only possible through sobriety.

I'm am convinced, after 30 years of futility, I will never be the person I want to be using drugs and alcohol.

Peace
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by parentrecovers View Post
a lot of people think i am pesty.
I look forward to your pestiness each time I logon to SR k!

This is great, I loved reading everyone's shares and learning a little more about each one of you. I especially enjoy hearing about the gifts that we've all received as a result of being clean and sober.

Don't stop now! I know there's plenty of newcomers to SR and we want to get to know you better, so please join in and share about yourself!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi there!
I chose the name To Thine Own Self Be True because that is what I strive for. To be true to myself and my higher power.
I just turned 40 and I have 83 days today. I have a husband that I am blessed with (normie) and two amazing kids, 8 & 17.
I put myself into treatment for a meth addiction 14 years ago and have never touched the stuff since. But about 10 years ago I decided that I could drink like other people. Wrong! My mother was a very functional alcoholic and I turned out to be just like her! I hit rock bottom 84 days ago and I am very grateful for that. It was ugly but it is what it took to convince my husband that I truly needed help. I knew I needed help but I only became completely willing to do whatever it takes after wearing handcuffs for the first time (and hopefully last) in my life.

I am happy today. I am a better employee, friend, wife and mother. I love to read crime novels, work out at the gym, go to meetings, swim, sunbathe and hang out with my family.

I feel very blessed that I found SR!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello I’m an English ex-pat living in New York City. I’m 37, married to a wonderful strong woman and we are expecting our 1st child in about 7 months.

Drinking is a way of life in my home country and I started in my early teens. Both of my paternal Grandfathers were alcoholics but I didn’t really know them. My parents were both pot smoking hippies and openly smoked in front of me growing up. They divorced when I was 10.

I was a chronic pot smoker for 15 years but quit 8 months ago. I found this forum 2 years ago but only recently returned to posting. I’m still struggling with fully admitting I’m alcoholic but I’m working towards it.

I LOVE to read good fiction. I’m also obsessed with fine watches to the point where I get neck strain trying to identify a stranger’s wristwatch from a distance. I love to travel; the more exotic the location the better. Snorkeling, skiing, biking, boating are all good with me. Oh and I play the guitar and like to sing.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello I am 29 year old female and an alcoholic. I have 44 days sober. This is my first time in AA. I am doing really well. I am 5' 7" and I am not sure what else.

I love hiking, mountain biking, shopping, pedicure and beaches and will do anything dare devilish. I want to go sky diving and some other crazy things.

I am single. I live alone with my 7 month old Chihuahua Linus in Massachusetts. I have an awesome family. I have an ex who has my Border Collie and that will be dealt with at a later date when i have a bigger place and dog nap him back.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My name is Mala and I am a grateful recovering alcoholic with 16 months of continuous sobriety since joining AA. I grew up in East Africa, Zimbabwe and Cape Town, work in book publishing and write for media -- now living with my partner in the Welsh Marches and attending as many meetings as possible.

This last year-and-a-half has been a great learning curve!

When I get time I want to watch the police series The Wire, set in Baltimore and rated as classic.

Some excellent threads here and I am reading and learning --

Mala

Last edited by Mala09; 07-30-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Beastly typos
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My name is Lindsay, I'm 24, and have decided sobriety is the best thing I can do for myself right now. I'm on day 3...and feeling great.

I graduated from college two years ago, packed up as much of my belongings as I could and moved down south from the north with my best friend. We bought a house together. (YES i'm obviously single...trying to change that! haha) I've been at my first "professional" job for a year now, and I enjoy it very much.

I have a dog that I love. I enjoy traveling, swimming, laying in the sun, working out, eating healthily, reading (especially memoirs/inspirational stories), live music, & spending time with friends & family of course.

cmhcali- my roommate has a border collie and that thing's crazy!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Tanya and I'm a recovering alcoholic and addict. Pills were my ultimate downfall, especially benzos. I have been clean and sober for 18 months. THAT is ONLY by God's Grace because I used EVERYDAY for 15 years. I got (and stay) clean and sober in AA.

I go to alot of meetings. I sit there and do needlepoint. I did not needlepoint until I got clean and sober.

I have been married for 16 years. (Again, God's grace). My hubby is a normie. (Although he is a codie, but won't admit it)

I could not have kids but I do have a 20 year old step daughter. I have a very spoiled beagle name Allie. You can see her picture on my profile.

I have 3 sponsees who drive me crazy. LOL My sponsor says I have it coming!

I love my life and I love being sober.

SOBRIETY ROCKS!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am howyoudoin. 38 years old(how is that possible??), divorced, mother of two teenagers, 17 and 14 (and a bonus child, 5 1/2....bf's little girl...all three are wonderful kids...just smart, loving, funny people. I'm not biased.). I host a Morning Show...totally love my job. I'm in a wonderful relationship with a man that saved my life by depositing me in Detox this last May. I was a great chronic pain patient for years...and then something flipped. Of course it did. Then it was out of control. I was a zombie...a lying, hiding, terrified zombie by the time I got into detox.
Now...everything feels different. I'm so grateful. And I check in here every single day...mostly to read and soak up information and learn.
Thank you. It's nice to be here...and great to meet you all!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR howyoudoin! We always appreciate new additions to our family in recovery.

I hope you continue to read and post here. We'll respect your anonymity even if you're a Morning Show host! ;-)
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

"I’m also obsessed with fine watches to the point where I get neck strain trying to identify a stranger’s wristwatch from a distance. "
-SoBearly

Funny!! I have the same watch thing!! i will walk backwards, turn around...all kinds of foolishness to see what kind of watch someone is wearing...

Nice to meet you. And congratulations on the baby!!

Last edited by howyoudoin; 07-30-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: quote needed clarification
Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hmmm... my name is F*ck-up and I'm an alcoholic. I hate everything, including long walks on the beach, funny movies and pets.

Just kidding.

I'm Emilie. I have 6 months sobriety on Saturday, Aug 2!!

I have 4 kids - all boys. Ages 15, 11,7 & 4. I think they are the sun and moon and all the stars, of course. I'm married to a really special man who's also my best friend. We've been through a lot together and I'm pretty sure, now, we'll make it through anything that the universe throws our way.

I'm 40 years old and I'm an artist. I paint abstract acylics on panel. I knew I wanted to be a painter since I was 4 years old and that's all I've ever wanted to do.

I have overcome some enormous obstacles. I was abandoned much of the time as a child, was sexually abused and then was raped twice as a young adult. I'm bipolar and was untreated for 20 years - becoming very, very sick along the way. I've woken up to find myself in mental hospitals many, many times. To me, it's a miracle that I'm alive and sober.

I include this information just because it's true and I'm sick of lying. Part of being sober, for me, is coming out of hiding. Stopping the shame.

Right now, I don't really have hobbies, per se. I paint, I take care of my home and my children and I try to stay sober.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Lindsay - LOL my Border Collie is crazy too it is their nature. That is why my small apartment will not work for the two dogs. I will someday dog nap him back for now I get visitation LOL!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by mle-sober View Post
Hmmm... my name is F*ck-up and I'm an alcoholic. I hate everything, including long walks on the beach, funny movies and pets.

Just kidding.

I'm Emilie. I have 6 months sobriety on Saturday, Aug 2!!

I have 4 kids - all boys. Ages 15, 11,7 & 4. I think they are the sun and moon and all the stars, of course. I'm married to a really special man who's also my best friend. We've been through a lot together and I'm pretty sure, now, we'll make it through anything that the universe throws our way.
After reading your share I'd say your anything but a F-Up! Your honesty and courage is where my daily inspiration comes from.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Hi I'm Gavin and I'm an alcoholic,

35 yrs old,30 days sober (again), single (again, but hoping to get a yr under my belt before I inflict myself on anyone else).

F---ed up a 3 yr degree in graphic design this year due to booze.Not sure what to do now.

Currently baffled by my returning emotions. The good news,you get your emotions back,the bad news,you get your emotions back.

Oh and the Mood Swings are NOT the best ride in this playground