Notices

again and again ... will it ever end

Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

again and again ... will it ever end

sorry about the rhyme, but it depicted my state of life.

I want new life so bad....but then my 'want of new life' disappears because i
DONT want to feel uncomfortable.

i don't want boredom so I use again (a night of fear and paranoia, and heart beating out of my chest, and the wholesome experience of a regular nightmare) in isolation.

I dont want lonliness, and its resultant self pity and stuff. when those feelings come up i want to use. and then my drug of choice "short circuits" my thoughts and they mostly dissapate. but then I hurt somewhere else....in the nightmare i've created............it's like if i have a headache, then smash my leg with a 5 lbs hammer. now my leg hurts and the headache is completely out of focus.

Desparingly, with a teaspoon of hope, and a cup strength

DAY 2
Old 07-28-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ride it out....it absolutely will get better! I'm on day 16 and have experienced a night out with friends SOBER for the first time in as long as I can remember...and it was FANTASTIC!!! You have to fake the courage to try....see what life will bring you....and it absolutely will give you the most amazing experiences with living sober....just take the time to build up the days and experience it all. As they say, "the miracles will happen".
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You just need to get through it, Ksplash. I think that's the only way to get stronger. Getting through these tough times will give you strength.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Fake it til you make it - and take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time! Never stop trying.

You CAN do this!

:ghug3
Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
getting there

I know exactly how you feel. I desperately want to stop drinking, but then I get anxious or stressed or depressed about something and suddenly get a case of the "I don't cares" because all I want is to feel better in that moment. I'm trying to remember that by drinking, I'm only prolonging the cycle and I might as well try to get through the bad feelings now, then maybe I won't have to deal with them so much later. That is definitely easier said than done, though.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by colagirl View Post
because all I want is to feel better in that moment. I'm trying to remember that by drinking, I'm only prolonging the cycle and I might as well try to get through the bad feelings now, then maybe I won't have to deal with them so much later.
Wow, had to quote this because it really struck me today. I've been wanting/trying to get out of alcohol's grip for a couple years. But in many moments of weakness thought, "I'll do it later...I need a drink NOW!" And what did that get me? Nothing but a couple years of pain, disappointment, anger.

I was trading long term and long lasting joy for a few fleeting hours of drunk. (And I don't even remember many of those hours. How pathetic.)

Thank you for increasing my desire for sobriety and joy for life!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

We can't break the cycle alone.

Find help anyway you can. And going online is good, but not enough.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the responses. thanks.

suddenly get a case of the "I don't cares" because all I want is to feel better in that moment
thanks .... this is a big reason for ME using....the I don't cares....the my life is a waste anyhow, so I might as well go into la la land.

It's like a washing machine. If we keep putting in the detergent (DOC), the clothes (our life) will never get to the dryer (our future). The clothes will always be washing because the detergent is always on them. We never get to wear the clothes the way they should be worn. And if we do wear the clothes, they are wet and uncomfortable.
IF WE CAN JUST PUT DOWN THE DETERGENT and take "the time" for the clothes to dry, we would have these warm clothes that are bright, fresh and comfortable to wear.
very nicely put jeep lady....stories like this one (or whatever this should be called) are helpful.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are not a waste to me, to me you and everyone on here are inspirations! We are all here to help ourselves help ourselves. I do better talking with people who are also struggling. Your post alone no matter what it says is inspiration to me. I'm lucky so far, I can squash the urge right away, I'm still new though. I'm totally focused on going forward, i hardly think of the past because it makes me think about what I've missed.

Heavy
Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by Jeeplady View Post
Hmmm. Got me thinking about this whole CYCLE thing going on.

It's like a washing machine. If we keep putting in the detergent (DOC), the clothes (our life) will never get to the dryer (our future). The clothes will always be washing because the detergent is always on them. We never get to wear the clothes the way they should be worn. And if we do wear the clothes, they are wet and uncomfortable.
IF WE CAN JUST PUT DOWN THE DETERGENT and take "the time" for the clothes to dry, we would have these warm clothes that are bright, fresh and comfortable to wear.
People will stop and say, "Gosh, I wish I had on what he is wearing!! ".

Hang in there my friend. I know its hard...nobody likes doing dirty laundry, but it has to be done...it's either now or later!
Thinking of you ......

That is SO true...and very well put!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's a great example Jeeplady! I'll have to remember that one!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Ksplash,

Hang in there. I've been learning lately to tolerate pain. So instead of hitting your leg to take attention away from your headache, notice the headache. Don't feed it. Let it pass when it passes. But just noticing it and tolerating it are huge skills that I think many of us never learned.

We learned early on to side-step the realities of life by medicating ourselves. Something I learned that has helped me is that the pain won't kill me. It hurts terribly. I begs me to medicate it with alcohol. But if I can tolerate it, I win. I might not kill it. It might remain. But at least I'm not feeding it, pretending that I'm addressing it. Because feeding it with alcohol does not help it. It just makes it worse.

Ultimately, I have to address the pain. And different people do that differently. I go to therapy. Therapy has helped me realize that the pain is not permanent and that it won't kill me. Therefore, I can tolerate it and learn to address it.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. But hang in there Ksplash. Day 2 is huge.

- MLE
Old 07-28-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by Jeeplady View Post
Hmmm. Got me thinking about this whole CYCLE thing going on.

People will stop and say, "Gosh, I wish I had on what he is wearing!! ".

Hang in there my friend. I know its hard...nobody likes doing dirty laundry, but it has to be done...it's either now or later!
Thinking of you ......

I love it! And I love being DRY!!!

(Also, thanks for reminding me to put our actual clothes in the dryer!)