Notices

calling all chocolate addicits!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

calling all chocolate addicits!

is anybody else addicited to chocolate? what can you do instead of eating chocolate?
last night i was in bed at 4am reading my stephen king book when i had a craving for chocolate. i got up. got dressed and drove a 10 miles round trip just to buy some chocolate. i ate 5 Twix's and then went to sleep.
on another occasion i ate 20 Twix's (40 fingers) in one session.
how can i stop? what can i eat/do instead? i've reccently quit smoking, could that have anything to do with it?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by aldo1980 View Post
i ate 5 Twix's and then went to sleep.
on another occasion i ate 20 Twix's (40 fingers) in one session.
how can i stop? what can i eat/do instead? i've reccently quit smoking, could that have anything to do with it?
It's Twix, I tell ya, I had a hankering for them often a couple of years ago. They are one gooood piece of chocolate.

Quitting smoking could have everything to do with it, you body is craving something and Twix is filling that void. Nothing wrong with that, it will subside in time.

Twix!!!! Who knew?

Hugs
Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Don't take this the wrong way, it really helped me a lot.

A girl I know on public assistance (welfare) is a recovering drug addict & alcoholic. She became grossly, unhealthily, overweight, her doctors told her to cease drinking soda and eating chocolate. She claimed that she was going to need in-patient rehab to remedy her soda & chocolate addiction. her counselor heard this one too many times and told her to either stop drinking soda & eating chocolate NOW or they would send her to a state mental hospital for one full year (for the mental illness of not understanding reality).

She ceased with the soda & chocolate the next day.

When she shared all of this at a meeting she explained that she convinced herself she needed soda & chocolate, and she began believing her own ********. It took a dose of cold hard reality to jolt her back into reality. Not eating chocolate is a choice.

Take this post for what it's worth, not meant to be offensive.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Aldo, I'm surprised you could go to sleep after the chocolate. I've craved it all the time since I quit, that and coffee with the real sweet flavored creams, like White Chocolate Macadamia.....I definitely have a chocolate obsession that I never had before.

(Right now I'm reading King's "Everything's Eventual"-the short story collection)
Old 07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I quit smoking, I bought myself a giant bag of Atomic Fireballs and I always have one in my mouth. I also get the Tootsie Roll Midgets for when I have a chocolate craving. They have less fat in them and satisfy my need for chocolate. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am the diet trick guru, at your service...

This is not professional or medical advice, just some things that have worked for me and others.

Buy really good chocolate, get one that has a very high percentage of cocoa and put it in the freezer. I break off tiny pieces when I'm craving and suck on it. Frozen chocolate is a PITA, but still tasty.

DH and I drink a 100 calorie whey protein drink. It takes care of the chocolate craving, gets some good protein in as well as some vitamins. Designer Whey in the grocery store (it is in the natural foods section in ours).

There are also Fiber One bars that have some chocolate flavors. You will only make the mistake of having more than one of those once.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

I really like Latte's suggestions. Solid.

I like to have hershy's chocolate suryp and then add it to a chocolate protien drink too. I find that when I am craving chocolate so much what I really need is some vitamins and protien.

Can you get addicted to drinking water? Perhaps celery and carrots?

Candy at night....is not good for your teeth.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Ever tried chocolate kisses with raspberries????? OMG YUM!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG-choooccccooolllaattee!!!
I haven't even attempted the quitting smoking part of all this. Quitting drinking is plenny to kick off the cocoa craving. Of course the diet/health gurus are right on the money but I must say that I agree with jeep on this one. If you can handle it, switch to dark chocolate; health food stores often carry great selections, many of which are free-trade/ farmer friendly. I keep mine in the fridge and break off a few pieces...well, I did that the last time I was sober (right now, I'm being a little gluttonous). Usually a few pieces does the trick (and antioxidants are good for you, right?). If you can keep it a disciplined ritual, I see nothing wrong w/ treating yourself. THe cravings usually taper off if you build yourself a healthy lifestyle and eat plenny veggies and healthy proteins.
March on chocolate lovers!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PS-Where'dyaget those pearly whites Log?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!! MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

I can freak out on chocolate, but I am doing better then I use to. One thing I am glad is not easy to make quickly is home made chocolate chip cookies!!!! I eat them before they even have time to cool off!!! I would weigh 500 pounds if the store bought ones were even half as good as the home made ones!

I have found that if I do not buy chocolate I will not eat it.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I quit smoking so I feel that when I crave it is twice as strong. (could be in my head) I have choclate cravings but I notice when I eat something sweet..I want more and more and seems like I want some every night. If I don't have it around I somehow get by and do without it . If I buy a bunch I can't eat them all maybe have about 5 choclate kisses and walk away. They seem to be harder to open so I don't deal with it.Lol
Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"They seem to be harder to open so I don't deal with it..."

I like that attitude/idea. I do that with pistachio nuts.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

I switched to dove dark chocolate when i have a craving and have a piece or two. Darker the better for your heart. When i quit smoking i ate lollipops then sucked on the stick for a while, cut down on the cravings for sure!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love Twix. I can see how they can be addictive. For me as I am still a control freak and weigh 117 lbs (add a few ounces). I constantly tell myself you will get fat. I do not want that. Being fat terrifies me (yes I know that is sick and at this weight I think I am fat, totally a bad self image thing and sickening and I am sick of people telling me I am thin so this is not a pity thing). So I do not think I can be much help. I do give into my craving but I feel more powerful if I do not (by no means do I have an eating disorder I try to stay around 1500 - 1700 calories a day which is healthy).

However when it comes to Pasta, Chinese or French Fries I am in trouble. I just seem to be ok doing them in moderation or only having a small amount. I get into trouble lately though with those Cheesy Tots from Burger King. I have gone there the past 2 days and I am not going tonight (eventhough I want to)... And I still smoke but hope to quit