Notices

My Body Is Screaming For Alcohol

Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We did an exercise in rehab where we acknowledged the voice in our head but didn't engage it.

I used to have conversations with that damn voice and it almost ruined me. I think maybe the people at the grocery store may have heard me say..to no one in particular.."yep, I hear you" HA HA. That is my acknowledgment then I go pick out my most favorite kind of fruit etc.

The voice doesn't speak to me as much as it used to but as soon as I think it's gone for good it shows up. Stress makes for fun times.

Distraction works for me. I go find one of my kids, go to a meeting if I can, ride my bike, come here or a mom messaging board I am involved in.

One of my most favorite cafe's has dozen's of different kinds of teas..I've been working my way through them during the last few years. It is an awesome distraction.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

When I am climbing the walls...I try to find ways to calm down and relax. This is key for me. And a nice cup of relaxing tea is great. Comfort to self. A bath is great...comfort to self.

But best yet...picking up the phone and calling out. Ding, Ding, Ding!

Please don't beat yourself up and think you are a failure. You are not. You are going through what so many people have gone through...and come out the other side and remained sober. If I can do it....so can you. (And YOU! And YOU! and YOU!)

Get to meetings every day if you can. The 90 in 90 is a great way to CHANGE the bad habits and start new ones.

We are creatures of habit and addiction. But sometimes we really get stuck in some pretty self-destructive habits and addictions.

It gets easier and easier, but you have to work on it every day. And keep it the most important thing you do.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sobergirl, I'm so glad you didn't give in!! We've got to stick together, you and I, and all the others who are struggling. We now have TEN DAYS SOBER!! I feel pretty damn good about that.

I am so glad you used the tools of recovery to get past the cravings. One of my favorite mantras these days is "get thee behind me, Satan!"

Keep posting and using your sobriety tools. We can and we WILL make it this time!!

:ghug3
Old 07-23-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Awesome sobergirl, the longer you are sober, the more meetings you go to, the more steps you work, the more you visit SR, the more tools you will have in your toolbox, you did an excellent job, the obsession hit, you reached in your tool box and you took action and you did not drink.