Notices

Warning about Emails Requesting Pills

Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Warning about Emails Requesting Pills

This is something that I never thought I would have to start a thread about on SR.

A newcomer sent me an email requesting that I sell him/her some pain pills! I was shocked when this person suggested that I go to my doctor requesting pills to sell them!

This person actually gave me their phone number and told me to text or call anytime.

I am horrified that someone would come on here in an attempt to find a new source to feed their addiction. I do realize this is a sick person, but I am posting this to warn others in case this happens to them.

I have notified CarolD about this, and I hope that if anyone else gets an email or PM regarding this same thing, they will notify her as well. I'm sure she will do whatever she can to stop this.

I will say a prayer for this person that they get the help they need and also that their irresponsibility and inconsiderate actions towards those in recovery doesn't effect someone who is struggling.

Thanks & God Bless,
Judy

Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

If you read this, don't we need reply's to keep this thread alive? I don't want anyone to be shocked and thrown for a loop like I was.

Judy
Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not actually too suprised...even though it is sad, I have seen similar things happen in NA and AA meetings...we are dealing with people like us...addiction knows no boundries.

Thanks for letting us know!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok, I'm replying to keep the thread alive.... but I have to share, what just popped into my head? (they say humor is a great healer) I hope I don't offend anyone, its just what came to my mind...

If someone pm'd me asking for pills, I'd laugh, and say, eh..you know Pills are bad for you, really BAD for you....but if someone Pm'd me suggesting they were infront of my house right now with a blender filled with Vodka slushies,, I'd squirm like a kid in a candy store, for just one more chocolate bar or a babuska woman in a bakery... So what does that make me? Selectively addictive?

I know that’s twisted..but it was the first thing that popped into my head, & I'm having a rough night..craving the vodka slushies that used to be my false friends..

In all seriousness, I'll report all and any weirdo pm's that come my way

Suz
just for today I won't drink the Vodka Slushies..
Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will pray for the person that sent you that e-mail serenity. Whoever it is needs help.
So I will pray for all of us who are addicts and alcoholics.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

man can you imagine the desperation of somebody coming onto a website that is SOBERrecovery.com begging for somebody to mail them pills?? Im glad im not in that guys shoes :\

On another note: i totally know what you mean suz...i have been able to turn away free coke or shots//beers at the bar without giving it a second thought. Now heroin on the other hand, i would do everything and anything possible just for 1 more bag lol. kinda weird how our brain will reject//not like certain substances but absolutely fall in love with others. Glad your staying clean also ~~
Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for the warning, never even crossed my mind someone would do that.

But addiction can take some people lower then low.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks Ex D-Boy,

I didn't want to offend anyone, but it literally was the 1st thing that popped into my head. Not to belittle anyone struggling with a pill or other addiction...

For me, it was/is , the strangest thing, I've been in the clubs, here all my life, I've seen dancing girls go down on Coke, dope, smack, crack you name it..I've had it in my hand, sometimes up my nose, hell I snorted the crack for a bit here/there, take it or leave it.....but in the end, when I thought I settled down, took off my dancing shoes, left my daughters father, who owned the club..moved to the suburbs... it was the booze that kept its claws deep in me. I think you hit it, it must be something in the brain, that triggers some sort of visceral response to create the addiction to a certain substance..

I've wrecked homes, cars, relationships, & I'm sure my brain on Russian Vodka...I know it is my drug of choice.

I will continue to keep this thread alive & alert anyone if I get a private PM asking for anything legal or illegal that would threaten recovery...:ghug
Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

snorted crack suzi?!?!?! your poor nostrils! heheh
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

pretty sure I wouldn't give out my phone number over the internet - let alone use as a contact for someone I don't know to send me pills.

BUT - being a "recovering" pill addict myself - I can't believe half the stuff I've done in the past.

maybe this person will come back to SR someday - for the "right" reasons.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok, maybe it was crystal meth? ONLY G-D knows..but back then I hung with some pretty hardcore katz..10 years ago...the morning I woke up to make some java & a half dozen patched bikers,that I didn't even know, were in my pad, with a couple dancer, girls, drinking Jackstraight, playing cards at my kitchen table.. I knew I had to move to the next town over..oye! p.s I took the vodka with me!

oye..my humor is messed..

tonight I had herbal tea..
Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks Everyone ...
That person is no longer a member of SR.

We do have disruptive members who slide in.
...They are not here long.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Carol,
I don't know how you guys are able to monitor all these people and keep this site a safe place for the rest of us to come to. But you all do a wonderful job at it - and thank goodness you're around to do what you do!!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Klynn33 and Everyone...

This situation was being handled by several
Forum Leaders and our AD Morning Glory
while I was off line.

I replied here to give an update
as Judy mentioned my name.

As always...it takes concerned members
helping the Forum Team
to keep SR a vital resource for recovery.

Forward we go...side by side
Old 07-22-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I do not choose to have my e mail public
Should anyone else want to change theirs

Go to your Control Panel
Look under Edit Options

It's too late for this situation I know
However...some members might want to
change and don't remmember they can.

FYI
Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely.

As Carol said, we were aware of the situation and that new member has been banned.

Frankly I think having your email public to all and everyone who visit SR, as members or guests, is completely unsafe.

Please make the proper adjustments to your Profile and disable receiving emails.

If you want to email with a specific member, PM that person and share your email that way.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I just want to say thank you to all of you for keeping this site a safe place.
I never would have thought to do something like that. But then again..I seriously dont think I would have the cojones to do it either.

You know..Just because this is a recovery site..I think some people forget that it is open to everything as well.

SQ..I think you handled that well.
If that was me. I would have gotten so mad.
Then you have to think.
There may be someone out there that may fall into it. Even if someone to come on here and take advantage of someones struggle and offer to do the vice versa.
Preying on people at a place like this.
I am sorry.
You all can pray for them all you want.
I think it is disgusting and disrespectful.
But then I have been there too I guess. One way or another.
I need to let this one go.
It is scary people do these things.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Serenityqueen for doing that. I would have just deleted it thinking it was a sick joke or someone poking fun at me. I am a drinker and have been asking about other addictions as they are all around me.

So I would have said what an idiot making fun of me for not knowing about every addiction and hit delete.

So good work by everyone
Old 07-22-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just wanted to thank the moderators for keeping our site safe and also pray for the person still sick from their disease.

Barb
Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Wow but thank you for the reminder how serious this disease is.
We did not get here by being the healthiest people in the world.
It is always good to be reminded that not everyone is working the same recovery program as you and it is up to you (us) to keep yourself safe.
Peace