Notices

hi im new

Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi im new

i just thought id say hiya officially to everyone

i havent had a drink for 9 days now which is good, but has been hell tbh.

i found this forum a few days ago and have been browsing through it but finally got the guts to join tonight. you all seem very supportive of one another and i need that.

so yeah anyways how is everyone?

becca
xx
Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Becca -

Welcome and glad you joined SR.

Congrats on 9 days.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome Becca. You can't beat this bunch! Stick around and share!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

welcome to SR an were glad your here , congrats on 9 days. it gets better everyday!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....
Congratulations on your progress
Old 07-20-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you

like i said its been hell- this is the longest ive been without a drink for 4 years(i drank wine and vodka daily)i feel okish today and havent had any aches or pains,i still cant sleep properly though! my mum is taking me to the doctors on friday to see if they can give me sleeping pills- is that a good idea or not?

becca
x
Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SobeRecovery. Congrats on 9 days.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

like i said its been hell- this is the longest ive been without a drink for 4 years(i drank wine and vodka daily)i feel okish today and havent had any aches or pains,i still cant sleep properly though! my mum is taking me to the doctors on friday to see if they can give me sleeping pills- is that a good idea or not?
welcome Becca
I think if you're honest with your doc about what's going on, how much you drank etc, they'll know whether sleeping pills are the go or not

Congrats on 9 days
D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-20-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

Welcome to SR. It's a great place to come to assist in recovery!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Hi Becca & Welcome to the greatest group of people ever. . . fellow alcoholics & addicts.

Been there, done that . . . understand what you're going through.

Glad you found us.

About the sleeping pills . . . I urge you to be honest with your doctor. Is your Mom aware of what you're going through right now? When I got out of detox, my Dr., who specializes in addiction, gave me a Rx for some "safe sleeping pills" for about a week or so. I didn't get them filled. I was scared. See, my first DOC is opiates, pain pills. So taking any kind of pill scared the crap out of me. But if your doctor is aware that you have recently given up alcohol, then it may be best to follow his advice. But please be careful, I've seen so many alcoholics become addicts and addicts become alcoholics. Honesty with your doctor is always best in every way.

And always remember this, we spent years numbing our feelings and relying on chemicals for a variety of different reasons. In Recovery, we have to learn how to handle certain situations without chemicals . . . be it insomnia, stress, anxiety, depression, ect. Don't get me wrong, there are some people who need medications for legitimate chronic problems, but at the same time, some of us need to learn how to handle situations without chemical assistance. I am in no way saying this is the case for you in particular, but a good deal of us, including myself had to learn how to handle anxiety without pills, some (not all) depression, ect.

Again, welcome and glad you found us!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Welcome!!! Everyone here is so supportive, I'm semi-new but I've felt like I belong here from day one!!!

Congrats on your 9 days!!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcoem to SR Becca
Old 07-20-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and congrats on 9 days. I remember the beginning and 9 days is huge.

Insomnia is very common in early recovery. It seems to be fairly common in people in recovery period but especially early on. Some struggle at first and then as they get their chemicals leveled out better things straighten out for them. I am a HORRIBLE insomniac and that is actually what got me started drinking. My husband is one of those who can be asleep 1 minute after his head hits the pillow. I hate him sometimes LOL!

I agree with what the others have said to be totally honest with your doctor about how much you drank, how long, what's going on with you since stopping etc. Let him use his years of training to best assess what, if anything, to prescribe for sleeping.

Some natural things that might help with sleeping could be a warm shower before bed, reading the Big Book (many swear it puts them right to sleep LOL!), melatonin, valerian root, warm milk, chamomile tea.

If all else fails and you just cannot sleep, don't lay in the bed. This just stresses you out more. Get up and do something in dim light like maybe watch a movie, read, or surf this site until you start to feel sleepy then go lay down and try it again.

I hope this helps and things straighten out for you the more time you get under your belt.

Take care,
Kellye
Old 07-20-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Becca~
I am fairly new here also and this site really helped me to get sober. I am on day 9 too, so we can keep each other company. I had to detox in the hospital this time around (don't recommend getting that bad off!) and they kept me on sedatives the whole time. The docs sent me home with a "tapering" prescription, but I am choosing not to use them, despite the insomnia. Kellye D has some good suggestions for natural remedies. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best. This site is a great source of support!

PS-when I am feeling "heavy" I hang around the "bottoms" thread. Always good for laughs. Helps me to sleep (gets me out of my serious, "winding mind").
Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello, glad you found us

Sax
Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks for all your advice

my mum and dad both know whats going on, im going to see the doctor because of the alcohol and the not sleeping. my dad thinks its a bad idea to take the pills becuase of my addictive personality and i think hes right- so for the time-being at least i will try all your reccomendations and see if they help.

im also going to start going to AA this week which will be a positive next step

also- how did you tell your friends about the alcoholism, a few of my friends and family know (they all wernt suprised) but im worried about telling my other friends- one i know will be supportive but very smug about it, should i just not say anything?

becca
x
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on the 8 days!! That's great. You might want to ask your doctor about melatonin. That's a natural supplement and helped me in the beginning. Its suppose to be non-addictive, but definitely ask your doctor first. Good luck and again, welcome to SR!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Bec,

I to am very new ( three days ) to this site, and im glad i found it.

Ive have posted that its soooo nice to be around people and friends that know how you really feel and what you are going through.

Your true friends will accept you regardless, but unfortunatley alot of people who do not understand how hard it is to be an alcoholic dont seem to understand.

Alot of poeple think just dont drink, its not that easy is it?

As i said im new and its keeping me away from that horrible evil demon that keeps calling my name.

Good luck with everything.

Jacki3
Old 07-21-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!! I'm on Day Nine today...which is hopefully your Day Ten!! First of all, soooo glad you're doing this! And so happy you found this site! It's really made a difference for me!

I'm glad you have the support of your family and will be telling your doctor what's going on...that will absolutely help in your recovery! Also, don't feel the need to rush out and tell people if you don't feel like it! Feel absolutely free to get used to the idea for yourself, first, before having to justify/explain things to others. I'm not announcing it to the world yet, as I have to learn to live "sober" first....but whatever will help you out will be something you need to figure out. Maybe telling people will help you commit? Whatever you decide, make sure you're taking care of YOU first, before worrying about others.

Please keep posting and know that everyone here is absolutely committed to our sobriety and reallllllly eager to hear about what's happening for others. I'm so glad you're here!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Becca!! Glad you decided to join this place has been great for me. Feel free to share whatever you are feeling and people will help you through it. It is wonderful. Thanks to all the great people on SR!!!