Notices

An old timer story

Old 07-18-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An old timer story

Last night I attended another great AA meeting. An elderly gentleman walked in and many knew him. He will celebrate his 44th yr of sobriety next month. His health and his wifes illness prevented him from attending meetings for some time. His spirit was down. His wife passed last week. He knew he needed a meeting. He was understandibly emotional. He spoke of difficulties & struggles in early sobriety. He gives credit to AA, HP and the serenity prayer for his strength & life now. He gave a message of hope for the relapsers in attendance last night-keep coming back.
I have been told this is a new better way of life to be enjoyed forever if I just don't drink now. A man with that much sobriety still needs AA. I am still amazed that people like him continue to want to help and reach out when they need help. That is the program at work. Right?
I spoke to him after the mtg. He said he remembered my father when he attended mtgs. My father passed in 1986 at 47yo from an awful alcoholic death. This man said he thought my father had hope, all I could say was that I did to. I am gratefull for this site and to be sober today.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your powerful message
Old 07-19-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

A man with that much sobriety still needs AA. I am still amazed that people like him continue to want to help and reach out when they need help. That is the program at work. Right?
We have a regional AA convention where they devote one evening meeting to honor those with 25+ years of sobriety. There are usually close to 100 people who parade into the auditorium before over 1000 AA members to sit on the stage and share a few minutes each about their years in recovery. It is very emotional and inspirational.

I'm over 28 years sober, and had looked forward to being able to share in that celebration when I reached 25 years. Unfortunately, ill health has kept me from meetings, too...and, I still miss them.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, that is the program at work.:ghug2