Notices

Optional Recovery Methods?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Optional Recovery Methods?

Hello Everyone
I've been out surfing the internet and came across a site rational recovery. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Any input would be appreciated, I'm sure there are a million and one out there that claim to do the same. Just looking for something different.
Thanks in advance
B.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there!

I'm not the swiftist river when it comes to the internet, but I found their site kind of confusing. I still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles here either . Anyways, from my limited understanding, RR's approach is more "taking control" rather than the AA's "surrendering". To a degree, for me it's the same thing. By taking control, I am removing alcohol from the decision making role. By surrendering that I am powerless, I am removing alcohol from the equation. At least, that's how I see it.

Bottom Line: You need to have the willingness (and great strength) to work ANY program. At least for me, the rest is mostly semantics?

(Hope I didn't offend anyone here with my ignorance re recovery options)
Old 07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Hi and welcome to SR.

We have some great forums on alternatives to the twelve-step programs including SMART Recovery, RR, and Lifering/SOS.

Feel free to stop by Secular Connections

Personally, I work SMART which is similar in some ways to RR without the anti-AA slant.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

I agree with Alera on that. The guy that started RR is some anger issues....

I like Smart Recovery too since it is AA friendly. I take a more scientific view of recovery myself being an atheist. But I attend AA meetings to be with addicts/alcoholics who I can relate too, and I do love all the love and humor stuff with AA.

I need to get out the door and not isolate, and there are many more AA meetings in my area. I am planning to go to my first Smart meeting next Wednesday to check it out. But I certainly like the website.

Speaking of which...I need to get out the door..

Later!