Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

re: I didn't even have the desire to drink, just a sadness in my heart..

Notices

re: I didn't even have the desire to drink, just a sadness in my heart..

Old 07-19-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

(((Suzie)))

I think your daughter is very lucky to have you as a mom!

My niece, Brit, is almost 15. My dad and stepmom are raising her because Brit's mom died when Brit was a baby (her mom was only 18) and her dad is a crack addict.

At the ripe old age of 12, she told me she was smoking weed and drinking liquor "because I hate beer". It took me several minutes to regain my composure and even MORE time to figure out what to say.

She knows all about my crack addiction....saw me go from a successful RN, driving the convertible car, to getting locked up. I wanted to wring her neck, but instead, talked to her about it and explained why smoking weed and drinking was NOT a good idea at her age.

I can't keep an eye on her 24/7, but she's told me she no longer does either, partly because she is terrified of police and I explained that not only will SHE get in trouble, but so will the adults who she is around.

The thing is, she knows she can come to me with pretty much anything. We've talked about sex, drugs, and alcohol. I think you have the same relationship with your daughter. Brit KNOWS I will tell her what I think and she may not like it, but she does listen. As long as your daughter knows she can come to you (and it sounds like she does), you'll both be okay.

I think you've done an awesome job with her and yourself!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
contemplating

Hey:

Your daughter is so lucky to have a mother that cares this much! Like the others said--its important that you keep open communication with her instead of punishing and setting rules (without explanation). Sounds like you didnt have the open communication with your mother that you wanted/needed---but your offering it to your daughter--

congrats on staying sober! your not a failure!!!!!