Notices

This whole month of July has just been...

Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This whole month of July has just been...

somewhat brutal. How does that Bananarama song go? "It's a cruel, cruel summer.." Now I'm not feeling sorry for myself here, I'm just a little overwhelmed. Lost my dog the first week. The second week we had some weird kind of gas leak at the house, I got very sick and my husband got a speeding ticket (40 in a 15 in a WORK ZONE, no less) rushing home. Then the transmission went out on my car the same week. In 2004 I paid $30,000 for that car, my dream car, a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Just paid the thing off about five months ago and now at a mere 50,000 miles, the transmissions out. For $2600 I can have a brand new one put in. I have been raising hell with Pontiac and GM over this, a car SHOULD NOT have that kind of trouble with that kind of mileage. They don't care though. For that amount of money I could have bought a Toyota or Honda that would probably still be running, for half the money I could have bought a KIA that would probably still be running too. GRRRRR. My husband won't let me drive his pickup because I hopped a curb in it a couple weeks ago..lol...better get the ol' bicycle out of the shed.

I'm having a sense of humor about it and I know drinking won't make anything better but I am just praying this week is catastrophe free. I used to be a strong believer in Karma until I read about some serial rapist who won 14 million dollars in the lottery when he got out of prison. Now I don't know what to believe, except that a good life depends on ambition, a good deal of luck, and a strong belief in God.

Thanks for letting me vent. Hope you all are well.

FD
Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't allow myself to have a 'bad day' anymore.

I can have a bad morning, a bad afternoon, or a bad evening, but no longer will I allow myself to view the entire three parts of a day as 'bad'. Once the bad morning, afternoon, or evening is over I clear the slate. That way I only have 1/3 of a bad day.

I know that every single day is going to yield some good in one way or another, most likely 2/3 of the day will be just fine.

I hope maybe this concept can help someone else.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I can see your point, sounds like a pretty good way to look at it! I am just mourning the loss of my dog and my car. I understand a car is an inanimate object but I was always so proud of it because it was the first brand new vehicle I ever bought, and once I paid it off it was all mine. Cars break down all the time though, so I guess it's no big deal. I have to say that life, overall, is still pretty good.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

*I* do9.

have bad days, I mean.

Some days are just ... better than others.
That's how the whole 'life' thing is.
that's the part we recoverying addicts/alcoholics can't seem to grasp at first.
Because we've never been anything but sedated.
Or intentioinally oblivious.

I don't do well the month of July either, hon.

Dunno if it's the heat,
the halfway year thing -
or if it goes all the way back to school daze when you'd realize that vacay was almost over... dunno.

But it's only thirty one days long.

Congratulations on sticking with it!!!

You HAVE managed!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey fallingdown!

I had the week from you know where last week. Life just happened and I've been assured that at least 1/2 of the problem was not caused by me (although i was one of the contributing factors LOL)

I believe in karma...which for me is sorta like saying life happens....so I would say I had a bad week....but I do see that it showed the great progress my son and I have made to me.

As for "I understand a car is an inanimate object" well, we all put meaning into things..thats part of being human and gives me all the joy and pain and diversity of life there is! We create value in things by valuing them and I like that. My shoes make me happy

Hope things get going in a better direction and yes...a drink will make it worse in the long run.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I absolutely agree. I was throwing a temper tantrum about this stuff and then it hit me, "ya big baby, this is life...cars break down, dogs die, family members fight.." other people deal with this and a lot worse sober AND SO CAN YOU. I don't know what gives us addicts such a low tolerance for life's troubles but I do believe that God will not give us anymore than we can handle, for sure.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
I do believe that God will not give us anymore than we can handle, for sure.
A big AMEN to that...!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sucks!! I would keep at it with GM. 50,000 is outrageous. If you shout loud enough you should get at least some of the repair bill covered