Notices

Good News...!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good News...!

The bad news is that most/many of us have a disease (alcoholism, addiction).

The GOOD NEWS is that we can manage our disease through willpower, good judgement, healthy choices, etc.

People with other diseases (AIDS, cancer, MS, etc.) do not have that LUXURY.

So... we ain't got it so bad, right?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes you are right on there Tommy!

Its a dog fight to manage our disease through willpower, good judgement, healthy choices...but can be done!

I am on day 3 again...just hope I have not done permanent damage.....
Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Sorry Tommy..I absolutely see what your saying. And its a great message.
But to me.
People with AIDS..CAncer and other diseases. Not all of them. But some. Just as with addiction. Can live long and healthy lives.
It may take a little mor ethan willpower. But it is possible.
So I dont want to classify myself as not having it as bad as someone with terminal illness.
Addiciton to me can be terminal too.
Because if you really think about it.
Even in recovery. Alot of poeple are dealing with severe health problems behind their use. Even years after stopping.
And for those struggling. They could be gone any time. Even ones in recovery. They say we all have another relapse in us. But we are not guaranteed another chance at recovering.
So in my mind. I am not going to think I have it any better than someone with a disease such as that.
Some patients with AIDS..Cancer..and so on. Can live just as long and have just as many Luxuries an addict can have with the same good judgement and healthy choices.
Disease is disease.
A drug is a drug.
Some are worse for others.Same as addiciton.
I see no difference.
And just to add....Addiction is not a curable disease either.
It has to be managed as well as any other disease.

Last edited by Aysha; 07-16-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay I have to agree with Chi on this too. My neighbor with MS just said the other day that she was glad she has MS because she lives healthier because of it. She does biofeedback and other things to control her MS, but she said the alcoholic craves the very poison that can kill him/her. She said she would rather have MS. This was a conversation that took place the day before yesterday. Kind of ironic.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dito chi and horsey....my remission from alchoholism is something I can support or tear down. Just as I can do certain thingss to help me live longer and happier with other diseases...I am responsible for the actions I take, just as my brother with a stroke, or him and my other brother with cancer...but the disease is can come back regardless of my concious actions.

would love to say more, but have to do the next right thing and go back to work
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool.

For me though, I have managed my alcoholism for many, many years through willpower and healthy choices.

I'm sure glad I don't have cancer, I do not believe that can be managed through willpower and healthy choices. I'll take my alcoholism any day over that.

Hopefully none of us will ever have to choose...!

I think about people in cancer wards, dying, no matter what they do or say, whenever I feel the urge to drink. Whenever I feel the urge to say "Woe is me...". Whenever I feel 'less than'. I realize how fortunate I am to have THIS disease instead of another. It really puts things in perspective for me, it gives me a hopeshot that I can manage alcoholism just fine. For me, alcoholism ain't nothin' compared to cancer.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

I so get where you are coming from Chi, and I agree. I think what Tommy wrote was "manage" not "cure".

I TRY to not compare myself to others either. Everyone has a battle. What I am thankful for is that my desease has led me to a path of recovery that has opened my eyes to a way to heal the pain and my broken heart. And in that regard...sometimes I do feel more lucky than some of the normies I know who can't find happiness, or an easy path to follow.:HONYnewyear025firew
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I too wouldn't want my problem compared to cancer, MS etc as I have a choice as to pick up another drink or not, not always easy but always my choice.

As to whether I ever drink again I really can't answer, what I can say is nobody can make me take a drink and it will be nobodys decision but my own if I do.

That said my weakness could take over tomorrow or it may never.

I have no control however if I get struck down with some illness albeit drinking and an unhealthy lifestyle could lead to this.

Kind of just sitting on the fence as you all make some good points.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

this thread does my ******* head in

D
Old 07-16-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
For me though, I have managed my alcoholism for many, many years through willpower and healthy choices.[/I]
I only wish I could have done it with willpower and healthy choices, but the disease of alcoholism asked more from me. I have never had willpower and as far as healthy choices I have lacked in making those too. I had to admit I was powerless over alcohol - meaning willpower wouldn't cut it for me. I then had to seek help from my Higher Power and without that I would be dead. I also had to find some spiritual healing and that's what I'm currently focused on.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I use all of my willpower to know & do God's will.

I concentrate on the phrase 'Thy will not my will be done.'

We're all debating symantics here, and that's good.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This thread makes me wonder about those who hit bottom and keep using/drinking until they are dead anyway. I personally believe that alcoholism is a disease, and it has a cure: just not drinking. I have a lot of trouble just not drinking, but I know that I am capable of it. I wouldnt know for certain if I was capable of beating cancer or AIDS, that I would leave to the doctors. Personally, my doctor has proven completely useless in helping me quit alcohol.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hmm, I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to this disease of alcoholism, I do not have any willpower. None whatsoever.

Thank God that He has all the power I need.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My suggestion/comparison with other diseases has caused some un-intended controversy... sorry to anyone who may be offended, I'll take a moment and explain where I got the idea:

I had a friend who was trying to stay sober. During his process of trying to stay sober his mother contracted terminal cancer. He visited her daily in the hospital. He told me he would do anything if his mother could ‘choose’ to not die from cancer. He said that watching her struggles with cancer made him realize how fortunate we are in being able to ‘choose’ not to die from our disease, by choosing not to drink. He is extremely proud to have stayed sober throughout her battle with cancer, and having had the ability to show her the man he had become, before she died. He has dedicated his recovery to the memory of his mother. We have a choice, some others do not have that choice.

Get mad, feel sorrow, disagree with the logic, whatever – but maybe remembering there are those who have no choice in dying from their disease will help some here make the choice to NOT drink, and therefore NOT die from our disease.

Just for today – I have a choice.