Issues with AA...

Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Of course...AA is not for everyone
Here is a list of various recovery programs

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

TM...do whatever you did in your past 3 sober years
add SR as another resource...and see how that works out.

Good Luck...

Last edited by CarolD; 07-14-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 07-14-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

KS those were my exact thoughts, and still are. I don't say the word "God" at the beginning of the serenity prayer, or any other christian prayer. I just stand there...holding hands, and feeling the strength of the group, and keep my mouth shut. Where I live this is not a problem, and I don't feel intimidated in anyway. I am very comfortable with my definition of HP...and that is all that matters. I still feel very welcomed and loved.

My first Sponsor did try to "convert" me to her god, and I let her go. She just could not accept or respect my views.

The main thing is that I just never gave up, for to give up...would be to give up on me, and I want to live. I'm such an addict that my addictions were going to not stop until I was dead. I need to have a continuous support system at my fingertips. And yes, this site is GREAT for that too. But I also made a commitment to myself and my children with the last relapse that I would be more social.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have heard and agree with the following:
" Religon is for people that don't want to go to hell, and spirituality is for people that have been there."
Old 07-15-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

Interesting coincidence, mentioning the universe as the HP. I have been thinking the exact same thing.

It's large & vast. We are mere atoms within it. You can't get higher than that.

As for what I did for the 3 sober years, I went to AA for a few months, until I got tired of religion.

I then just went on my own, not drinking. At the time, it seemed easy. When I started back, it was light, a 6-pack of light beer. I told myself it was ok, as I only did it on weekends.

5 years later, it turned into a 5th every friday & saturday nights.

This time around, I know what can happen if I start back. I know, now, that even just doing it on weekends isn't a good idea. Especially since I am type 2 diabetic (the main reason I tried stopping in the 1st place before going back to AA).
Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Originally Posted by copperqueen77 View Post
I have heard and agree with the following:
" Religon is for people that don't want to go to hell, and spirituality is for people that have been there."
I need to chime in on this one if you will indulge me. And Copperqueen, please know that I am not picking on you. I am a Christian yet would never "Push" my religion on anyone. I will always answer questions and enjoy listening to other viewpoints. However, the above quote makes no sense to me whatsoever.

First off, the part "Religion is for people that don't want to go to hell". Well, were does put satan worshippers that want to go South for an eternity? Their "religion" want them there. As a Catholic, our definition of Hell is the eternal separation of ourself from God. So that statement doesn't work for me.

Secondly, the "Spirituality is for people that have been there (Hell)" . I hear the term "spiritual" being tossed around quite a bit. As a Christian, that term refers to having an abiding sense of the Holy Spirit within us and part of our daily lives. Its presence can be felt at various times. To have Spirituality comes from within, maybe or not as result of where someone has been. A child that has not seen the greater evils of the world may indeed be a spirit filled individual. So again, that part of the statement doesn't do it for me either.

Thanks for allowing to vent over that one. I enjoy everyone's varying views on the topic of an HP.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I thought I had a problem with AA.

Turns out that I had a problem with basically everything, so I was right.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

AA, no AA, SMART, or no SMART, WSO, no WSO, Religion, no Religion, God, no God, SR, no SR, should it really matter?

I am a recovering alcoholic, I celebrate and support any means that someone uses to recover from alcoholism or drug addiction.

Recovery to me is being at peace with the world and myself, finding no need to critisize someone or thier beleifs, instead supporting them in thier chosen path of recovery & sharing my experience, strength and hope I have found in my path of sobriety.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

During all my many years of attending AA meetings, I never thought of it as a religious organization...any mention of God or a Higher Power didn't offend me because I already had my own religion, and was interested only in learning how to get and stay sober.

To my way of thinking, religion and spirituality are two different things, and not necessarily intertwined. I've known people who attended church "religiously" who were far from spiritual...and others who I considered very spiritual who wouldn't have set foot in a place of worship (other than the basement of a church for an AA/NA meeting) if you paid them.

So, I went in search of a definition of religion:

1. beliefs and worship: people's beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and divine involvement in the universe and human life

2. system: an institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine
I couldn't find a satisfactory definition of spirituality, so I once again resorted to my trusty old "Keep It Simple" book:

To be spiritual means to be an active person...spending time with others...sharing love...looking for ways to be more caring...to make the world a better place.
If that isn't a description of a clean and sober person working a good program of recovery (AA or otherwise), then I'll just eat my "Keep It Simple book", page by page!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't attend AA meetings. I have in the past, but only because it was court-ordered. However, when I attended those meetings I was never overwhelmed with religious or God talk. It's sad AA is perceived this way because the original intention of the founders was to have it be a spiritual fellowship, not a religious program. The references to a Higher Power and "God as we understand him" weren't meant to exclude atheists or agnostics. I know many who feel AA has saved their life, so I don't argue with that - but I haven't used it to get sober. Thanks for sharing your feelings.