Notices

My first day

Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first day

I am a newcomer to recovery. I have been sober for the last 2 days. I know I have a problem because I feel that I need to escape ever day problems. Currently, I dont have a job. The bill collectors call me every day and I feel so stress that I need a drink and another drink. I just hope I can stay for at least a week.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hang on Hector! You are not alone--not anymore>hang around here--keep posting! We understand. As far as being scared to go to meetings--like you mentioned earlier--I go to some online meetings which help me--there are also meetings here at scheduled times too--there is one tomorrow here i think (in chat room)--in the late afternoon/early evening. :ghug3
Old 07-12-2008, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Hector to SR.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hector! Turn the phone off if you have to. Ignore the bill collectors for now and continue to focus on sobriety. This is a great place to visit and get support. Hang in there and all will be well. Trust me, I know. I've been there - and back.
Mike
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hector

Mike's right - turn off the phone...hang out here a bit, do some reading

It's possible to live without booze...and I ended up an all day everyday man...

hope to see you round!
D
Old 07-13-2008, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! THis is a great place for support in getting, and staying, clean and sober. Come here often, to vent and get good advice and support (tho not medical advice - we can't give that here).

I too am unemployed and unable to pay my bills, but my drinking over my situation will only make it worse - I know, cause I have used it as an excuse to drink and felt much worse afterward.

All the best to you in your desire to stay sober!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hector,

You are doing awesome by just being on this site! Every step in the right direction counts...I'm on day one for the fifth time or so. Relapse is not a requirement of recovery though...That is what I am told by fellow recoverers. I used to be very, very, very scared of meetings. The time before the last time I relapsed, I used, then freaked out about me using and just got up and went to an NA meeting, mind racing. I sat in the back and didn't want anyone to see me, but still felt inner urges to get that first sentence "Hi, my name is ____ and I'm an addict" off my chest. The second I even began to raise my hand, the three people closest to me gave me the most reassuring smiles and encouragement that I was up and the words were out of my mouth before I could stop them. And it felt so good, better than any drink or alcohol made me feel. There really is a lot of support out there and if you go to the right places you will meet amazing people that will make you feel better. I guarantee it. Anything of this nature, any drug or alcohol dependency or tendency is soooooooo hard. The more support the better, and I say this from experience.

Congratulations on your first day, and may the force be with you
Old 07-13-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hector,

Good for you having 2 days sober!

You know, you will be in a lot better position to find a job and deal with the bill collectors if you stay sober.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In case you can't find your first post
please click on the line below

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...scared-go.html

Sooo...Welcome again....

I found a job by telling other AA members I needed one.

Well done on your sober days