Notices

Requesting emotional support

Old 07-10-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Requesting emotional support

Hi all. Please don't be alarmed. It looks like I am going to the ER today for detox. I have a friend on his way in an hour and I am just feeling scared. Know you can't give medical advice, but wondered if anyone out there has gone through this and can relate? Thanks for your support.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just remember that the uncomfort you are gonna go through can mean a lifetime of happiness. Its worth it in the long run. You Can Do It
Old 07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Soosie,

I haven't experienced it so I can't help you there-but I just wanted to say I'm proud of you for getting the help you need and I'm sorry you're feeling scared

I'll be thinking of you.You're not alone.You're doing the right thing,

Julesxox
Old 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That is a positive step in the right direction.
I'm really pleased to see you doing
a medically supervised de tox.

Be both safe and sober!

Mega Hugs and Prayers for peace of mind
Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all. You have probably seen me post elsewhere that I am not big on the Western Medicine approach, due to some previous experiences. I am terrified of going to the hospital, but I don't have insurance, am broke (not able to hold down a steady job anymore) and am sitting here getting sicker and sicker every day I ignore this. I am scared that I have pushed my body too far or that something else is physiologically wrong with me (on top being "mental" and addicted-lol). I've detoxed on my own before, but this time I think I need help. WEEEE-here we go. You have all been great support!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

that's good news SoosieQ! nothing to fear really, ok! you'll be fine. let's us all know how you are soon as you can. super!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You will be safe there with medical supervision. So glad that you have made this choice, I do think it is definately the right one.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Soosie, never went to detox but I think it's great that you're taking a safe approach. When you get out there'll be a seat waiting for you in recovery, I hope you continue to maintain your sobriety.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoosieQ View Post
Hi all. Please don't be alarmed. It looks like I am going to the ER today for detox. I have a friend on his way in an hour and I am just feeling scared. Know you can't give medical advice, but wondered if anyone out there has gone through this and can relate? Thanks for your support.
Haven't been SoosieQ, but you definitely have my full emotional support and prayers for you. Take care of yourself and post as soon as you can.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am gonna keep talking in here while waiting for my friend. My anxiety is through the roof! One of my biggest concerns in doing this is that I am not sure that I WANT to, I just think I HAVE to (my body can't take it anymore). I hope that doesn't trip me up in recovery too much and I am sure that I am tripping up on my depression too much to do anything else. Please pray that the docs don't shoot me full of the wrong medication, recommend lobotomy, or flat out refuse to treat me---lol!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep talking Soosie. It helps to get things out. I know it helps me when I talk about my fears. It takes the power away. This last time I had to do a medical detox too. My body had had enough.

I am proud of you for taking this difficult step.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SoosieQ View Post
One of my biggest concerns in doing this is that I am not sure that I WANT to, I just think I HAVE to (my body can't take it anymore).
How about looking at this as an opportunity to never HAVE to drink again? This could be the first day of an awesome life in sobriety!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Soosie, Huge Hugs and this is exciting! This is the first step to your wonderful new life!
Congratulations!!
BTW, my fears are ALWAYS worse than the reality. This will be very good for you to just focus on you.
Know that we will be here praying for you.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This might also be a good time to think about what you'll do after detox. What will your plan be for a program of recovery? AA? SMART? Anything?

I couldn't stay sober on my own. I found help in the rooms of AA, I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
How about looking at this as an opportunity to never HAVE to drink again? This could be the first day of an awesome life in sobriety!
Thanks all. Yes, it will be great. Addiction is exhausting. I have always felt tremendously relieved when I quit (this will be the third time). My concern this time is that I started drinking again because I just couldn't seem to get a good life going, no matter what I did! Not sure what I am returning to! Certainly not looking forward to more anxiety and depression! Ah boy! I am a mess-lol.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm off to my nightly AA meeting. Best wishes for your detox Soosie, please let us know how you're doing when it's over.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Soosie, just relax and let the doctors do what they do. It will be okay. Good job for doing this, and good luck
Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
getting there

Soosie - just got on and saw this, so if you are still there - good luck! Let us know how it goes. I'll be thinking of you!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
Soosie, Huge Hugs and this is exciting!
BTW, my fears are ALWAYS worse than the reality. This will be very good for you to just focus on you.
Know that we will be here praying for you.
No doubt. I think I waste more energy on fears than I do on drinking, and that's saying a lot.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Soosie...good for you! Don"t stress you will be in good hands.....
I am proud of you...hope to here from you posting on your progress soon!

Dave