Notices

WHAT does it take?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

WHAT does it take?

3 yrs. ago a recent high school grad. was killed by a drunk driver here in our ocean town while crossing a busy highway. The driver was also a recent grad. There's a decades-old tradition here called "senior week" where grads. from many states come to party the week after they graduate. Much underage, unsupervised drinking goes on, & it's a nightmare. Part of the driver's plea arrangement was to give speeches at high schools & MADD events about the dangers of drunk driving & how the tragedy had forever changed his life. Often he was accompanied by the victim's mother! Last spring he came back to our local high school & delivered an emotional 2-hr. speech a few days before the prom. You can probably tell where I'm going with this.....earlier this year, this same person was arrested in his little hometown in Pennsylvania, going 93mph at 3:30am, empty beer bottles in car, & drunk. A second DUI. For this, he did some time in PA and was extradited back here where his case was reopened & he must now do 4 mos. in our county jail. A tragic case of being able to "Talk the Talk", but not....well, you know. He received many accolades for his speeches, & I myself would get tears in my eyes when I read about them, saying, "Well at least something good came out of it." Unfortunately his words were not backed up with action-he was unable to follow his own advice.Further proof of our powerlessness! (The young man who was killed, by the way, was also said to be drunk and had run back into the road to retrieve a ballcap, against the signal-so here we had two impaired people.)

I just wanted to tell you about this, not sure what conclusion to draw from it, except to say that some of us are slow learners, myself included. I had 3 DUI's and could easily have killed someone. (Me, who has to think twice before squashing a bug, or using poison to kill mice.) I guess I'm trying to say, when things like this happen, it reminds us of what we already know - that some of us are never in control once alcohol/drugs enter our systems. Even a vehicular homicide conviction is not enough to stop us. In our minds, we're ok, we'll be careful, drive slow, & make it home. Like a friend of mine once said when he was staggering to his car, "Just help me get behind the wheel, I'll be fine...." Dear God. Anyway, thanks for listening! Love, Joanie
Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
In spite of drinking every afternoon, driving home drunk and driving drunk with my children in the car, I never had an accident, killed anyone, or had a DUI.

Like we share and hear often: But for the grace of God, there go I.....

Thanks for sharing this Joanie. I pray that someday that man and any other alcoholics that are still suffering find their way to long-lasting recovery.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"But for the grace of God, there go I....."

Couldn't have said it better.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
some of us are never in control once alcohol/drugs enter our systems.
well said
Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Joanie:

Wow, that was very intense! Reminds me of several times I have had to come back after thinking I could "control" things. Thanks for sharing this with us...it's like this;
If the underlying habit of craving and aversion is not uprooted, suffering arises anew over and over again.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I just read an updated article about the person in my story. It said that since the accident he's suffered from severe depression and been suicidal. It's too bad he can't see that drinking isn't going to bring him the relief he's seeking. I hope someone can help him get the treatment he needs - apparently 3 yrs. later he's not made any progress.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Was just talking to my sister today about this. A family member just got out of jail for theft charges yesterday. My son has been in prison several times and I have 2 DUI'S. I told her that when people leave their house, they do not think they will end up in jail.

In my heart I never thought I would drink enough and drive to go to jail. It was not my intention when I left the house. Thank goodness I never hurt anyone.

My son told me that he got away with theft so many times he thought he would not get caught.

I think maybe thinking actions through can change behavior. Today that is how I see it.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What keeps me from being discourged
when I read of such tragedies ...

You just never know who this young man
touched with his speeches/story
how many listened and remembered to not drive
or even to not ever drink.

how many members and lurkers on SR will
your share save from misery?
In what meeting you attend will you ignite anothers recovery?

Thanks everyone for not forgetting

:Each One ...Reach One" is an awesome way to live.
: