Notices

21 days ago tonight...

Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days ago tonight...

So, 21 days ago tonight I put down the bottle. Things have been going pretty well. The sweetness craving that I experienced the first week or two has gone away, which is a good thing because I absolutely hate sweets. The hardest parts have been cutting all of the ties with people that I used to drink with. The hardest ones have been the friendships that started sober and turned to mutual alcoholism and even co-dependency. A couple of weeks ago I got a call from an old friend who I used to drink with every night. You could say we came up together, have been best of friends for 15 years and eventually became very dependent on each other. Its ok to drink alot if someone else is drinking the same or more. Its kind of like if one person's doing it, they might have a problem. If somebody's doing it with you, then its ok. Anyway, he called to say that he was having a housewarming/birthday party for his girlfriend in a couple of weeks. I just happened to ask, oh so you going to get a keg. He said, yeah, what don't tell me you're too good for keg beer now? I told him that I didn't drink anymore. Well, after his riotous laughter and jokingly calling me a liar repeatedly, I said, no really I don't drink anymore. After that, the conversation ended real quick and he just said in a sarcastic tone "well I hope that works out good for ya" and that was that. A part of me wants to go see all of my old friends (the parties a few hours away), but the sober me knows that its just time to say goodbye. I guess I already did. Tonight was really the first night where I even had the smallest inclination to go get a beer...but I didn't and that's a good thing. Anyway, I'm alone and think I just needed to clear my head tonight; just get some stuff out of my head, so thanks for listening.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go on 21 days!

It is hard to let go of some of our friends, but we find out they weren't really "friends"...they were drinking buddies (or in my case, using buddies). When I stopped using, what they did for "fun" just didn't appeal to my any more.

Yes, I still miss some of them, but it's no fun watching others get trashed, and it reminds me of how I used to be...and that's pretty humbling.

The good news is, you will meet more friends, now, and will find a lot of other things you have in common that don't inlcude alcohol. It took a while for me....I had pretty much isolated myself, but I have lots of friends here, a few f2f friends, and my life is a lot better than when I was so popular because I was using. Not only was I using, I was getting used.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi,

I know how hard it must be for you right now, but congrats on the 21 days!!

Once I told my friend of over 25 years that I wasn't drinking, over a year ago now, my phone stopped ringing with her number on the other end. It makes me sad, yes, but I can value the good stuff we had together, and figure that she has her reasons. Some folks don't know what to make of ya now that the common interest is gone..other's might have a problem themselves and you just remind them of it.

I've been lucky to make new friends in sobriety..some normies and some just like me. Be patient and hang in there!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way to go on your 3 weeks
and Yes! you made a wise decision.

I did cut ties to my drinking friends
and met new sober ones who shared
my new lifestyle and goals .

I found them in my AA meetings....
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Force Is Strong In This One

Originally Posted by ImmerAllein View Post
So, 21 days ago tonight I put down the bottle. Things have been going pretty well. The sweetness craving that I experienced the first week or two has gone away, which is a good thing because I absolutely hate sweets. The hardest parts have been cutting all of the ties with people that I used to drink with. The hardest ones have been the friendships that started sober and turned to mutual alcoholism and even co-dependency. A couple of weeks ago I got a call from an old friend who I used to drink with every night. You could say we came up together, have been best of friends for 15 years and eventually became very dependent on each other. Its ok to drink alot if someone else is drinking the same or more. Its kind of like if one person's doing it, they might have a problem. If somebody's doing it with you, then its ok. Anyway, he called to say that he was having a housewarming/birthday party for his girlfriend in a couple of weeks. I just happened to ask, oh so you going to get a keg. He said, yeah, what don't tell me you're too good for keg beer now? I told him that I didn't drink anymore. Well, after his riotous laughter and jokingly calling me a liar repeatedly, I said, no really I don't drink anymore. After that, the conversation ended real quick and he just said in a sarcastic tone "well I hope that works out good for ya" and that was that. A part of me wants to go see all of my old friends (the parties a few hours away), but the sober me knows that its just time to say goodbye. I guess I already did. Tonight was really the first night where I even had the smallest inclination to go get a beer...but I didn't and that's a good thing. Anyway, I'm alone and think I just needed to clear my head tonight; just get some stuff out of my head, so thanks for listening.
That sounds like the kind of strength that should do you proud.
Thanks for this, i hope i am as strong when temptation comes knocking.