Notices

Hello all...

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all...

I'm working on my 4th day sober. I realized I have a problem over the holiday weekend when I did some things that I wasn't proud of, and normally wouldn't have done if I had not been drinking.

It's taken over my life, and I can't let it do that anymore. I've lost so many things to alcohol, and it's time I stop letting it take those things from me.

So, I know that I need help. I can't do this on my own.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mikey,

Great first post!

I'm glad you found us and you'll find lots of support and information here.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR mikey, always good to see another newcomer trying to achieve sobriety.

I couldn't get and stay sober alone, thankfully with the help of AA I didn't have to. SR is a great site for support, and it's the perfect addition to my program of recovery.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Mikey! Glad that you are here with us! Please check out
the other forums "Alcoholism" and the stickies at the top of the forum!

There is a wealth of information and a lot of support here-Keep posting!

Congrats on Day 4! That is HUGE!

It's taken over my life, and I can't let it do that anymore
Powerful words to admit too! Welcome!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the club
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks folks.

I've sat down and thought during the last few days, taking long walks, and trying to keep myself busy.

I also realized that I have had addictions before. Every day for 2 years I was smoking pot until I landed a job that gave random drug tests and had to quit in order to keep my job. It was really hard to do that. I didn't drink at the time, but started shortly after...because I couldn't get high anymore.

Now almost 9 years later, I have developed so much of a problem that it has affected my personality. I started speaking with a long-lost friend a few years ago, and she said I acted totally different than the friend she had known before. I have felt like there isn't anything good in the world for a while, and just look at all the negative things instead of looking at the positives in life.

In the last 4 days, I've come to terms with that problem, and I've been trying to look at life in a different perspective. So far it has worked. I know I've made some mistakes, and there is nothing I can do about them now. They are done, I need to just make sure I never make the same mistake again.

I have so much to be thankful for. 2 amazing children, parents who are willing to do anything for me, a wonderful fiance who cares about me, and friends who don't want to see me self-destruct. I'm still young at 28, have my health, and all my limbs.

I just have to kick this addiction.

Thanks for letting me rant

-Mike
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome mikey

and congrats on your 4 days sober.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Mike,

Mike, never ever forget the way you feel right now.

Soooooo many people get clean & sober for a while and they 'forget' how bad it was using.

Then they remember some of the good times, forget about the bad times, and they start thinking they can have 'just one'.

Then they start using again.

Don't ever forget the way you feel right now.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I'm finishing up day #7. I feel much better about everything in the last few days. I know there's nothing to be worried about, and things happen for a reason...I just might not be able to see them right away. It's been a fairly rough week, and I'm hoping next week will be better, but it's a day at a time right now.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR mikey383,

You're in good company at this site! Keep on, one day at a time and best wishes for you and your new life.

Peace
Old 07-13-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on the 7 days, Mike. You're only 28 with a lot of good things ahead of you. I didn't get sober until I was 36. It started to get really bad when I was your age. Believe me, you do not want the 8 years of misery that awaits if you keep drinking. It got really bad.
On the other hand ... if you stay sober what a life you can have!! Since getting sober I have a life that I could only have imagined. I've got two kids now - Sheila (4) and Liam (1 1/2). They're asleep now, but when they wake up we're off to the river and then the playground and then maybe an ice cream! Life is good!!
Keep it up, Mike. Your kids (and you) deserve the best. Hope to hear more from you.
Mike in Boston.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mikey, it's one day at a time for the rest of your life. You live one day at a time, you can stay sober the same way. NOt drinking for the rest of your life can seem overwhelming, but one day at a time is how we accomplish that goal.

:ghug