SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Dealing with cravings (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/153190-dealing-cravings.html)

BeachAngel 07-06-2008 06:15 PM

Dealing with cravings

Hello,

I am new here. I realized my drinking problem in January, went to AA, sober for 42 days, then started drinking again while on vacation. It was a little here and there and now it is every night again (not tonight though, day 1!).

I am okay tonight but the cravings are going to start again tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for cravings in the early days of sobriety? I feel cravings, anxiety, confusion, and hopelessness when I don't drink, it will start tomorrow, today I am euphoric about ending this nightmare.

Also, I craved alchohol for every one of those 42 days noted above. Is there a time that I won't crave anymore? I am used to my life revolving around alcohol and it was all I thought about even though I didn't drink! I can't wait to live normally. For those of you that have some time under their belts, will the craving and obsession go away eventually?

Thanks, I am really glad to be here.

BeachAngel

Anna 07-06-2008 06:21 PM

Hi BeachAngel,

Good for you!

For me, what I had to do was to change my routines and patterns. I used to drink at home, alone and so I had to make sure to change that. Try taking a different route home from work, shopping at different stoes, going for a long walk after supper, anything that changes the routine of having a drink. I think it really helps.

I think stopping the craving for alcohol emerges as you begin recovery. Remember that stopping drinking is only the first step and then the hard work of recovery begins. I had to begin to rebuild myself and to learn how to like myself.

adore79 07-06-2008 07:24 PM

Well, this doesnt work for everyone, and it is not a permanent cure, but I have found it is helpfull in the early days: wear a rubber band around your wrist and when you get a sudden craving, snap the band against the underside of your wrist. This transferes your attention away from the craving. Anyway, it has worked for me before, and it is not a permanent solution, but we have to use whatever we can, right?

gravity 07-06-2008 08:03 PM

What helped me was to really focus on my recovery. AA meetings, the Big Book, sponsor, 12 steps, SR, journaling, reading and just trying to keep busy (hobbies, sober friends/family members, etc.).

It was much like developing an implementing a strategy to give myself the best shot at sobriety. This is a major life change and a great one. As the days passed, I would think less & less about "feeling deprived" and my drinking past. I started to get more & more excited about a sober future, the possibilities.

Best wishes.

CarolD 07-06-2008 08:06 PM

I timed my cravings in my early sobriety.

They were 5 to 7 minutes in duration
and the longer I stayed sober
they lessened in both time and intensity.

I took action when they hit.
A walk...A drink of cold water...Brushed teeth
Danced around the room...Kept hard candy handy.

By 2 months AA sober...they had vanished.

And Yes! I did change many many things
in order to protect my recovery.
:laughing:
I did do at least 1 AA meeting a day.
I did quit hanging out with drinkers
I took a less stressful job

coming_clean 07-07-2008 12:30 AM

the only way to beat cravings is to stay sober, then they will go away!!

take care and all the best,

rita123 07-07-2008 06:04 AM

I'm finding cravings very difficult. I've got extremely strong feelings for someone i live with in a recovery house and i know it's unhealthy but i can't stop these feelings. Sometimes i just want a drink to take away this pain. I know that i will just feel worse about myself if i have drink and my self esteem is very fragile! I feel so much better having survived an intense craving, washing my face and looking people in the eye with courage.

Jersey Nonny 07-07-2008 09:58 AM

Get back to basics! Gravity said it:

What helped me was to really focus on my recovery. AA meetings, the Big Book, sponsor, 12 steps, SR, journaling, reading and just trying to keep busy (hobbies, sober friends/family members, etc.).
The cravings are your mental obsession...the disease talking to you. As long as you don't act on these thoughts, they'll eventually become less and less.

Ananda 07-07-2008 10:04 AM

stay where your hands are

that helped me alot...cravings do come and go...if you're a woman, it's kinda like labor.

I was told every time i had a craving or thought about alchohol, fear, etc. to think about spirituality instead (if you don't like that....substitute philosophy or whatever takes you out of the thought).

I worked in a bar and everytime i thought about the alchohol i would read something out of one of the 12 daily reflection books i carried with me and think about it.

I read alot in the first 9 months :)