Notices

What are social sober activities?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Rusty,

24 of us chartered a boat to go fish for tuna and yellowtail in San Diego (when I lived there). The deckhand was loading the bait, gear, groceries, etc and went back for the requisite 20 cases of beer.

I told him we were an AA group and to bring gatorade and sodas instead! I had to repeat myself twice. Stevie Wonder could've read his reaction "How the hell do you FISH without ALCOHOL?"

LOL
Old 07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

For me AA is reteaching me how to live - sober
I am now able to do pretty much anything I want because I am sober.
I found that at the end of my drinking I was alone and depressed and close to dying. Now that I am sober I am learning that I can be happy and social, not to mention just living life and enjoying it.
Free things are great, things that cost $ will come with time. I am poor as hell and have been doing so many of the things I always wanted to do but couldnt since I was drinking, drunk, doing drugs, stoned or high or just plain hungover or burnt out.
I am looking into dream jobs, adventures and activities that might be more doable / in closer grasping range now that I am clean & sober.
Thats all I got fer now....
Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Noelle has a great point. There are tons of sober people you can meet in AA, I do some fishing with some of them regularly.

I don't know if you have a problem with the God talk in AA, but you are talking about maybe 30 seconds of a one hour meeting.

In my experience you are as likely to hear adult language at an AA meeting as preaching. In fact no one has ever asked me about my beliefs, where I went to church (or even if I went to church) if I believed in Jesus, etc. Not even my sponsor.

So if this is the reason you are opposed to AA, I would urge you to at least go give it a try and form your own opinion.
That is the reason why I will not go. I am very much an atheist for my own reasons and I do not want to hear anything about it.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

dg
"How the hell do you FISH without ALCOHOL?"

i could picture that look!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Lets see, today I do everything I quit doing due to my drinking, all of those things I do far better sober.

Being sober I can do anything I want to and do it to the best of my ability.

One of my biggest fears when I sobered up was "What am I going to do if I do not drink?" Alcohol really had me messed up, I didn't think I could exist without drinking, it turns out that when I was drinking I did not exist!

Juliet 90% of things happening/to do, do not involve drinking and I have found in reality most people do not drink but on special occasions, the reason I thought everyone drank was because when I was drinking I would go no where or do anything unless I could drink or drinking was involved.