Notices

Live as though you were living a second time

Old 07-04-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
where the light is

Live as though you were living a second time

“Live as though you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.” Wrote Viktor Frankl after coming out of Auschwitz.

Often, I read words that resonate deep within me. I am currently reading a book by Bill Manville (88 Ways to Beat Booze & Drugs) and this quotation was included in the dedication. I have been reflecting on these words for several days now.

To me, they mean accepting the past and letting it go. They mean that I have a new life now, a life that is different, is richer, that I truly appreciate.

Reflecting on my past. The good things that are gone forever. My best friend who passed away 8 years ago. My father who passed away last year. My years of formal education. The early advancements in my career. The people that have come & gone in my life. Even those early experiences involving alcohol. All gone, forever.

The bad things. The poverty and racism of my early years. The hurt I caused others as my alcoholism spiraled out of control. The pain others have caused me. My own self afflicted suffering. All gone.

I have to honour the past, learn from it but ultimately, let it go.

My “second” life. Learning every day. Reaching out for help. Trying to help others. Trying to accept others, the moment, my alcoholism, myself. So grateful for everything that I have been blessed with. Trying to do the right thing. Trying to be a good man. Sober.

I feel reborn in a sense, a clean slate.

The source of the quote very clearly puts my own life in perspective, humbling. I have absolutely no excuse to ever give up. Not just for me, for others.

I have a good life. We can all have a good life. It’s right in front of us.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks gravity!

I, too, feel like I've been given a second chance. I can't undo what has been done, but I can darn sure use what I've learned from the past to make the best of my life and those who care about me today!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-04-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Thank you, gravity. That is a beautiful thought.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Grieving over past injustice & unfairness kept me from growing. I'd get up at night & walk the floors, dredging up past hurts. I'm ashamed of myself when I look around and see all that others have endured - managing to go on and make a good life for themselves in spite of horrific things happening to them. Trying to push down my feelings by drinking was all I knew how to do at one point. I'm learning to live again too. I have to get it right this time. It's so hard to pick up the pieces, gravity. I am trying. Thank you for helping me with your words. Love, Joanie
Old 07-04-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LOVE is the Movement!

I think maybe my second chance is still out there, waiting for me to grab it by the horns...maybe Ill be ready for it one day.