Notices

Attempt at Moderation--What do you think of this plan?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

why?

Why bother?

I can't show you how different your life will be if you put it all down right here, right now- but you can.

Good luck
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I give you a ton of credit for even looking into a problem with drinking. At your age that is very smart. And testing yourself seems alright. I mean how else would you know for sure. Not saying you should drink, but if that is was will settle your mind then try it.

When I was your age I never would of concidered that. I drank to excess and never thought I could have a problem.

I'm glad you asked a question here. That's what this place is for.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think it is a wise and thoughtful plan. I am following a similar plan myself currently...cutting down my consumption over a period of several weeks (to avoid severe withdrawals due to my consumption and its duration) and then planning on going cold turkey for a month and evaluating throughout my ability to moderate and/or abstain.

I am determined to do whatever is evident, be it never drinking again or drinking in moderation. I simply cannot make that determination at this point, mainly because I am focusing on NOW and getting my mental and physical situation together right now.

I feel strongly that my current state is a result of self medication due to severe unhappiness which resulted in a depenency, and not a lifelong, chronic condition.

I KNOW that I once had a healthy relationship with alcohol, and I hope to again. By healthy, I mean I drank rarely and when I did it was in moderation. I did not think about drinking or plan my life around it or miss it if I didn't.

The first hurdle is the physical addiction/dependency, which I am tackling firtst (currently). The next, is the mental addiction/habit, which I am dealing with both now and later. I realize that my abuse of alcohol is a result of BOTH, but if I get the monkey on my back out of the way, I can deal much better with the mental issues. That monkey really messes with your mind and body.

I feel strongly that a trial period of total abstinence is a good thing (why I've incorporated it into my plan) Gives you time to both heal physically and to examine your motivations and desires. Can help you get to a place where drinking doesn't rule your life or even influence what you do or when. Gives you space and time to form new habits and urges and interests.

Regardless of whether you decide to go back to drinking in moderation or to abstain forever after this period, you will have gained much.

Remember, currently, you are addicted, physically, to alcohol. That very state affects your thinking on the issue. Get yourself un-addicted/detoxed, either medically or through gradual weaning, and THEN deal with the issue of if you can handle any future use.

Just be honest with yourself. Ignore that little voice that is only interested in maintaining the status quo and feeding its addiction. Use your logic and common sense to override that addictive voice and do what YOU choose to do based on the best evidence.

Best wishes! We are all in the same boat...just keep bailing and rowing for shore!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I could not control my drinking, tho I tried hard to do so. I always ended up drinking the whole bottle and getting more. I wish you luck in your attempts at moderating your drinking. All I know for sure is that moderation didn't work for me.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The very best advice I have for you James

if you are a driver...please stop driving.

I just sat in an AA meeting
with a 20 year old drinker...newly sober
who will start his jail time tomorrow.

He has lost his license for 5 years
on top of his jail sentance ..
he has .fines and lawyers to pay.

I'm glad he is off the roads before someone is killed.