Notices

What Do You Do Differently?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Do You Do Differently?

I've seen a few folks who are coming back from a relapse. So what are you doing differently this time to help promote success? What about your last attempt failed you? I ask b/c I'd like to learn. I never admitted it out loud before and sought help (hence why I'm here and doing things differently then my last attempt).
Old 07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

For me..most of it is effort.
I really never put effort into recovery.
I am going to IOP. HAve to start meetings this weekend.
And just stay commited and watch for the red flags.
For me it is all about being serious about it.
I found myself in a very very scary place a few weeks ago.
I dont think I have ever scared myself before.
I was scared.
To death.
And so tired of it.
I am letting my thinking go. Which is why I always fail.
And listening to others.
I cant do it alone.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I finally stopped relapsing every few days or every few weeks, I think the difference was my mindset. Drinking was no longer an option. So...I had to begin to search for other ways to deal with life. I had turned to drinking to deal with every emotion for several years and I had actually forgotten that there were other ways to handle stuff in life.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I realize that I'm always going to get dumb ideas and 'voices' in my head suggesting it is okay to drink/use, suggesting that I am a bad person, or basically suggesting something negative that really truly does NOT reflect the way I feel or the way I am.

I just recognize these ideas and voices as 'my disease' now, sometimes I laugh at them, but I know they have no bearing on what I think or what I do.

(I hope that makes sense. )
Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

This time I participate in my recovery EVERY day. I start out my day with that focus and I end my day with that focus, as if my life depends on it...because it does.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know this may sound silly..I have been sober for 133 days after trying to get sober for years. I gave myself permission to drink again IF I complete the list first. To date this list of activities, phone calls, service work, and meetings is at 75. WAY to many things to do to make it worth it..letting go of the need to control my drinking and letting my HP guide me has been the difference for me this time around.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sct

I plan on relapsing tomorrow. Of course- every day I wake up and it's another Today. Haven't woken up on a Tomorrow yet...
Old 07-03-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

lol sct - had me worried at the first line Hope I don't see you tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
When I finally stopped relapsing every few days or every few weeks, I think the difference was my mindset.
I agree with this. Maybe the last time out was the straw that broke the camels back, but the cravings and internal debate are almost non-existent this time. I think about why I feel so much more resolute this time sometimes. Maybe I finally truly accepted there was no place for alcohell in my life.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Last time I tried to stop drinking I'd never heard of SR.

Was just trying to stop on my own, coming on here almost every night keeps the focus going whereas speaking to normal non drinkers, well don't think anyone who hasn't had a drink problem realises that is hard to just stop.

Thank you for letting me share SR, fraid all you guys are stuck with me for a while yet.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by austingemini View Post
I've seen a few folks who are coming back from a relapse. So what are you doing differently this time to help promote success? What about your last attempt failed you? I ask b/c I'd like to learn. I never admitted it out loud before and sought help (hence why I'm here and doing things differently then my last attempt).
Hey austin~maybe I don't have the right to write to you since I'm currently scratching my head over the same issue. I have relapsed a few times, and have managed to do several years sober in between. What always helps me is finding a thread back to something I love--and couldn't maintain while drinking. Travel, good books, yummy food. Comfort. Asking for support is huge (and hard for me) but it helps tremendously. I lose my sobriety when I lose my perspective.....

Also, I have this amazing feeling of peace and safety once I stop drinking, and that is something I am reaching back to remember. Like Tommy said, there are voices to contend with, but it is easier to laugh at them when sober. Better yet, I like to recruit them to my "troups" to manage me away from insane behavior.

The first time I got sober, I had a not-so-nice roommate who took to stocking my favorite beer in the fridge AFTER she found out I was going to AA. Every time I looked inside and saw my drink of choice sitting on the shelf I had to chant "you're just a head of lettuce!". Never craved that one and couldn't think of anything more benign or unappealing than iceberg lettuce at the time. Anyway, I think it is a combination of determination and mindset with sense of humor (even if it as dark and goofy as mine is!).
Old 07-03-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OK-now I've really "outed" myself. Promise you guys won't call the funny farm and tell them I am talking to my refridgerator!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sct

lol sct - had me worried at the first line Hope I don't see you tomorrow.
Haha- yeah- ain't had a tomorrow yet. Thankfully- it's a "Just for Today" program.

OK-now I've really "outed" myself. Promise you guys won't call the funny farm and tell them I am talking to my refridgerator!
I won't tell if you don't.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

MMMMM !!!!!!!!

In the 60 days and under thread SoosieQ said and I quote :

"My nutty isn't as fun as most of yours!"

Less than an hour later I catch her talking to her fridge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't call the funny farm huns, we're both already in it.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, thankfully, I have some good company!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hannitized

For me, the difference is SR.

Why fly solo when you can have the power of 42,551 pairs of wings? The angels are here and they save my life on a daily basis~

All the best to you~

Liberty~
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

well....i had to look at what worked before....when i was sober before i was active in aa and the 12 steps and i practiced my religioius/spiritual beliefs. I need both...so it isn't what i did wrong that i focus on but wht i did right...sticking with it so far
Old 07-03-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I tried the last time I was in my early 20s. I tried with the help of AA, but I wasn't in the right place within my heart and found every excuse in the book on why I was not an alcoholic. I even had a sponsor, who God bless her, remained very patient with me. I eventually bailed on my sponsor, AA and sobriety.

I am now 41 years old and a "little" wiser. I know what the in between years (20s to now) have been and what has made them what they were. I am ready to say to heck with alcohol because I feel like I have drank enough for you, me and the next 100 people and my body is not going to heal if I continue that path. I still don't have a lot in common with the stories I heard in AA when I was in my 20s, but I do have the most important thing in common with them - "I am definitely an alcoholic."
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
where the light is

I finally fully, completely, 100% accepted that I am an alcoholic. Only took 25 years .

I am really trying to do everything I can to truly live a sober, happy life.

What I still do from previous attempts:
- journalling
- exercise
- better nutrition
- recovery related reading

What I have started doing since December 17:
- AA - meetings, sponsor, steps, going out for coffee
- SR - reading, posting, asking for help, helping others
- prayer, a bit of meditation
- spiritual reading
- reaching out to family & friends for support
- drinking "friends" are no longer a part of my life (happened naturally)
- sober and non-problem drinker friends are a bigger part of my life

It may seem like I spend a lot of time on my recovery but I really enjoy it (most of the time). This is the longest that I have been sober since I was 15.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've relapsed twice in my 7 years in the rooms of AA.
Recovery is my #1 priority today - and all that it entails - meetings, growing spiritually, helping the newcomer - basically, the willingness to do whatever it takes. For me, it means looking fear in the face and having the faith to walk through it.