Notices

Percocet Addiciton...brand new here

Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Percocet Addiciton...brand new here

Hey all,
I've never posted anything like this or really opened up to anyone about my addiction so here goes. For years now I have had frequent troubles with kidney stones...this is how it started. long story short i currently have a doc that prescribes perc 10/650 to me regularly. My use isn't habitual, as much as it is a binge of sorts. I go through 60 in about 4 days....then wait til i can get more.

I've never purchased it illegally and don't take any other drugs. I don't drink or smoke, this is pretty much it. I write because I feel like i've gone through different types of withdrawl a lot of the physical symptoms people talk about but the last few times it much more of a psychological addiction, where i am nervous, and simply thinking of all the ways i could obtain it. No one i come in contact with seem to notice the problem, and as time has gone by i have grown more withdrawn about it. I've been able to work fine and keep up, but i want to be through this. I worry about the tolerance I've built up and really don't know what problems that could present for me. I recently went to the ER for a kidney stone and whatever dose of morphine they gave to start with didn't even register with me.

I worry about what my family and friends would think if they found out about this problem, I know they would be supportive but it would certainly change their perspective of me. I realize this is all pride but i would like to take care of it myself if possible.

There's much more but that's the bare bones of it, i was just needing a place to start my way to recovery. again being open with this is new for me....somehow people around me haven't noticed a problem, either i'm better at hiding it than i think or they are just clueless...
Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome!
You are in a great place. My doc is alcohol but someone will be along shortly that is more familiar with percocet addiction. In the meantime, poke around, this place has the most amazing resources!!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us and that you are seekin recovery.

We're here to offer support!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Yeah, I had a perc prob. after some surgeries last year too. You should get some help. I went to an addictionologist for this problem, and he has me on the world's slowest taper off of suboxyn for withdrawal. It has been a lifesaver. I now feel great, and live a really normal life.

If you don't have a physical addiction, you won't need that. But it is tough mentally, too. I go to NA for the mental support. I started a few months ago, and I've had a lot of help from the people in NA. It's not what you think, there's a lot of great folks there, a lot of success stories to learn from and socialize with. It can be lonely if you try to kick by yourself. I tried that a bunch of times before I found NA. I recommend you give it a try, even if you don't think you're an addict. The only thing you need to be a member is a desire to stop using drugs (any type).

And check out an addictionologist, too. I felt I couldn't talk to my other doc. I was too embarrassed. But an addictionologist only deals with drug problems. They see perc addiction a lot.

Good luck. This is a great site to be on in your situation, you're on the right track just coming in here.

kj
Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome. I agree that NA meetings might help you.

Keep coming back.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks,
Honestly I'm working on getting up the courage to go to an NA meeting. I know that I am an addict of sorts and could use the support. My fear comes from a lot of different directions, there's the pride factor and then the fact I know (with frequent kidney stones) I will need it or something like it again. this already has helped though
Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Startingtody View Post
Thanks,
Honestly I'm working on getting up the courage to go to an NA meeting.
Arrive 5 minutes after the meeting starts and sit in the back, it is not required that you speak. Take it all in, see how comfortable it is.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The meetings I'm aware of all conflict with other obligations that I have. I don't mean to make an excuse but that's been what's keeping me from starting
Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hey starting -

Welcome!

You might want to check out the 'Substance Abuse' forums as well as here in newcomers - I think they've got meetings online?

The way you described how you took your percs -
reminds me of me with hydro...

you are right to seek support and help.

You can do this.
and now - you're not going to have to do it alone.

again, welcome!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I brought it up for the first time with my wife last night, and she was incredibly supportive and understanding. The opposite of my worst fears. I'm on about day 4 without percocet, but not necessarily by choice But I'm starting to feel better. I haven't had an appetite in days, and still struggle to keep my mind off of it. Anyone have any ideas for me