Notices

Volunteer Work

Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Volunteer Work

Alright so I got a volunteering gig walking and socializing dogs for an animal rescue that saves them from death row..God bless them...upon telling my husband yesterday, his response was, "so how much is this going to cost us in extra fuel?"

You know, I'm just getting so sick of never having any support to do anything better with my time. This place is about 17 miles away. I work from home. I NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE. Neither one of us has any fuel related expenses when it comes to work as he drives a company vehicle. This is the same guy who buys a six to twelve back just about every day. It's been hard enough trying to quit drinking with no support from him, I'm sure some of you know what it's like to have your fridge stocked with beer at almost all times, yeah we work around it but still, I'm just fed up...with everything. Sometimes I think I just need to move back home for a while (where I actually have a support system), it really is getting to that point. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Falling,

Hello, CONGRATULATIONS on the volunteering Gig! Maybe a short trip home would do you some good. Then when you come home you could talk to your husband in a calm, well thought out manner about your concerns about his support/lack there of.. or not...up to you. Sometimes I think we need a little break from the "rat race" to sort things out.

Even if you don't/can't go away for a little while at least wait until you've dealt with your feelings and are in a good place about them before discussing them with your husband. He may even surprise you! Sometimes guys are a little slow to catch on to things.

"It's always easier to take somebody elses inventory."

John
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for helping the animals. You are doing such a great thing. I know that this volunteer work will bring you joy beyong anything you expected.

I'm so sorry to hear your husband's comment. That's so unfair. I hope you do the right thing for yourself and your recovery. I know it's hard and there are tough choices to make.

Give the dogs a hug for me.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question: "so how much is this going to cost us in extra fuel?"

Answer: "Not nearly even close to what I'm going to receive from doing it, well worth the cost."
Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You guys know how it is...nothing changes if nothing changes...and the odds of me maintaining long term sobriety while stuck in this house 24 hours with THAT MAN are pretty slim, Anna, I remember both you and CarolD mentioning sometime ago to seek something outside myself to help get through this and I didn't forget, it just takes me a long time. I'm just seething about it today, more than I was when he said it. I don't think I'd wanna be him when he gets home tonight.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh and John, btw, I'm not disregarding your advice either..you know how there are different types of people when it comes to anger, some fly off the handle right away and others let everything build up until they erupt like Mt. Vesuvius...I am, unfortunately for him and me, the latter, and I feel a long overdue hissy fit coming on!

I'll try to calm down though!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awwww sheesh - What a jerkoff response!!

FD you are doing a wonderful thing and you should be proud of yourself. Don't let your resentment take that proud feeling away. He just dosen't get it; maybe he will but right now he dosen't. The only thing you can do is change how you react to his grumpy attitude.

It's really wonderful and rewarding giving your time and love to helpless amimals.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you very much SoBear..it's really all I have. We don't have kids so my life pretty much revolves around 4 legged creatures. I'm really excited about it.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
I'm really excited about it.
Good!! I just spent the weekend with 2 little kittens - soooooooo cute
Old 07-01-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's great to know you are going to do this needed service

Mr. FD?
he is scared you are be moving into a new life.
Fie on nay sayers!! You Go Girl!!...
Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

You are doing a wonderful thing.
I too thought about what type of volunteering I could do. And never thought about animals until about a month ago when I saw it posted here.
That would be so perfect for me.

As far as the comment.
When people see someone else doing something they arent doing. I t may be a little resentment. A little jealousy. Just gotta pizz in your corn flakes to soften the blow to themselves. Ya know what I am trying to say?
Do you girl.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"Just gotta pizz in your corn flakes to soften the blow to themselves. Ya know what I am trying to say?
Do you girl."

DO I EVER!! Anything just to get off my butt you know what I mean?? I can't wait to make some new friends even of the four legged variety, sometimes they are easier to get along with. ;o)