Notices

Looking for a little Encouragement

Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for a little Encouragement

I have been struggling with Sobriety for about 8 months now. I have had good days and I have had several relapses, some bad and some worse, I have not hit bottom yet but have come very close to losing my job, family and friends. What scares me the most is that I wonder how many more times I will continue to fall before I do lose something/someone important to me. I know I have a lot of work to do and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get better. I have been going to Therapy, however I am reluctant to try AA as I had a bad experince several years ago. I just need to hear from someone else that understands how I feel. I have a journal entry from March regarding how the first week or so of my Sobriety was hell. So many feelings of shame and guilt. Each day it got better and eventually I felt better and the Anxiety subsided. Obviously I didn't work my program and stumbled. Am I the only one struggling with these feelings? How have you been able to overcome them and look forward to the next day?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Am I the only one struggling with these feelings? How have you been able to overcome them and look forward to the next day?"

YOU ARE NOT ALONE...!

I had to realize that my way of thinking got me into the situation I was in, and RELUCTANTLY I started attending NA/AA meetings.

The rest is history, what a wonderful program...! NA/AA saved my life & my sanity.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is Yesterday with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed; we cannot erase a single word said. Yesterday is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is Tomorrow with its possible adversities, its burdens, its large promise and poor performance. Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds - but it will rise. Until it does, we have no stake in Tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - Today. Any man can fight the battles of just one day; it is only when you or I add the burdens of those two awful eternities - Yesterday - and Tomorrow - that we break down.

It is not the experience of Today that drives men mad - it is the remorse or bitterness for something which happened Yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow may bring.

Let us, therefore, live but One Day at a Time.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TorontoGuy28 View Post
There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is Yesterday with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed; we cannot erase a single word said. Yesterday is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is Tomorrow with its possible adversities, its burdens, its large promise and poor performance. Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds - but it will rise. Until it does, we have no stake in Tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - Today. Any man can fight the battles of just one day; it is only when you or I add the burdens of those two awful eternities - Yesterday - and Tomorrow - that we break down.

It is not the experience of Today that drives men mad - it is the remorse or bitterness for something which happened Yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow may bring.

Wow!!! That is awesome.

You are sooooo not alone Scooba. It's good to see you reaching out. I too am stumbling but for every step back I have more than 1 forward so I'm heading in the right direction.

Stay strong and keep your target in sight - No drinks today!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

TorontoGuy,
Beautiful!! Thank you for that. I know it was Scooba but I also needed that today!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by TorontoGuy28 View Post

That there is very powerful. And comprehensible.
Thank you for that Torontoguy.
Hang in there Scooba.
You are definately not alone.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Good to see you here with us ScoobaDoo

I see you are on Day 1 ...as you probably know
de toxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Have you spoken honestly with your doctor about this?

Be both safe and sober...
Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Red face

Yes, Day 1, again.

Both my Family Physician and Therapist have been informed how much and how often I have been drinking. (Of course at first I lied about it).

So far (other than still emotionally beating myself up) I have been feeling well today.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement, it truly touches my heart, and I don't quite feel so alone. I thought that I would be embarrased by opening up, which I have not much, but it does feel better.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Scooba,

This is a terrible disease. Every day i struggle with life, anxiety, depression, etc. etc. I am 20 years old, and i have been in and out of the program for only a year. My brother lost his life to this disease a year and a half ago when he was 17. My now 17 year old sister is also in Recovery. Days are hard, and some times i dont know if i have the strength to live without drugs or alcohol, but i ask my higher power and some how i make it. I am very happy to have found this forum, and Scooba, along with every one else who posted, I thank you, for it might just have been this that kept me sober today.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sweet dreams everyone...
Old 07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

The one thing about addiction is, I kept willing to lower the bar. I kept crossing lines I vowed I would never cross and kept lowering my standards willing to risk it all. You are smart to stop now. You will slip even further if you don't stop. It is the nature of the beast. Good luck.