Notices

new to sobriety

Old 06-30-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to sobriety

Hello,

I just wanted to say hello. I have just quit drinking for good after a fight between myself and a good friend. I have had problems with binge drinking now for 2 years and enough is enough. I do not need to drink every day or weekly for that matter, but every so often while drinking, i cannot control how far i take it. I have upset my friends and the person i love most several times now. I need to quit drinking completely in order to keep the ones i love.

My problem is not so much the "no drinking", but its a feeling of isolation i guess. I wanted to see if this is something anyone else has felt, or if its just myself. I feel that i am no longer normal because i have a problem. I guess i just cant understand why everyone else that I know can go out, have fun, and control themselves every time. I dont understand why I cant. My binge drinking doesnt happen every time, or every other time, but maybe only a couple of times a year. Previously, i thought that i could consciously control my drinking, and not take it too far and what a mistake that was. I cant tell when it was going to happen and when i did, it was always too late.

So again, i just wanted to see if any others have experienced these things. I want to quit, I am going to quit, but i just want to feel "normal" again i guess.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR mts! Glad that you found us! Making the choice to become sober
is wonderful and please know that we are here for you-Please check out
the other forums as well as the "Alcoholism" forum and the stickies
at the top of the forum!

Others will be along with great support! I did not drink however the feeling of
being isolated took over most of my childhood and early adult years-I can relate
to the feeling and I did something other things in my life beside drinking that
I have forgiven myself for....Recovery is great! Welcome again

Keep posting and know you are not alone!
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi mtst08 "My problem is not so much the "no drinking", but its a feeling of isolation i guess. I wanted to see if this is something anyone else has felt, or if its just myself. I feel that i am no longer normal because i have a problem. I guess i just cant understand why everyone else that I know can go out, have fun, and control themselves every time. I dont understand why I cant."

I am not a binge drinker, I am a "hider" who falls into daily drinking. Isolation? Oh yeah. At first, it really sucks that you can't be "normal". I can assure you that after a little while sober, you will encounter people getting/ being drunk and shake your head at how absurd it all is.

There are plenty of fantastic people in the world who do not use/ drink. I feel your pain regarding the isolation, but I assure you, there is no better way to become isolated than to continue drinking.
  # 4 (permalink)  
Force Is Strong In This One

only too familiar my friend.
Welcome and keep posting how you are progressing.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community.

I began drinking at an early age in order to feel more comfortable around people. Eventually I found that I 'needed' a drink in social situations in order to relax and to feel like I fit in. Soon I was drinking at home alone. Not every night. But several. I was ruining relationships, and I wasn't a very attentive mother. Consequences became more severe, and I sought help several years ago.

I am an alcoholic, and that means that I cannot control my drinking. When I have one, I want more. Immediately. To try to control my drinking is and was fruitless.

The sense of lonelines and isolation has, to a great degree, been lifted. I have many sober friends and life is good today.

Stick around, and please continue to share with us.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I guess i just cant understand why everyone else that I know can go out, have fun, and control themselves every time. I dont understand why I cant."

I too was a weekend 'binge' drinker alcoholic. It took me a long time to realize I have a 'disease.

But everytime I start feeling sorry for myself because others can drink while I can't, I am reminded that my disease is very much managed by ME, and that I can live a GREAT life in spite of my disease. People with other diseases do not have this luxury.

No amount of willpower can manage cancer.

I am thankful I can manage the disease I have and live a good life.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their quick responses which have helped already.

Esp. to tommyk who really put things into perspective.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us!

I found that drinking ended up completely isolating me from friends, families and acivities. Recovery has opened up my life to do things I want to do. I still feel uncomfortable in social situations where I don't really know people, but dealing with that is far easier than dealing with alcoholism.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was really surprised how I felt once I quit drinking.
Not normal at all...but special because I won over alcohol.

Welcome to SR!