Notices

New and I want to become sober, but I have this hesitation..

Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey James...

Here's my story for what's it's worth. I never hit rock bottom. I basically got sick of hangovers, saying stupid stuff I didn't mean, doing stuff that was "out of character" for me (sober), and taking the risk of getting a drunk driving offense on the way back from the bar. I stopped at the age of 31 yrs. old. I had drank on and off since I was around 16 yrs. old. I actually didn't drink much in my teens/early adulthood because I didn't really like alcohol.

I found myself drinking more when I did drink. I was never a daily drinker. Just the weekends, maybe not even every weekend, but when I did drink, I nearly always drank too much. I found myself wondering the same things you are wondering. Will it get worse? Does it get better? Can I be a responsible drinker?

Well, I started doubting that I had a problem and a couple of months ago, I went to visit a friend and he and I started drinking one night. I ended up passing out & going to the hospital. This is something that had happened a million times before, but I had the unlucky chance of passing out in his stairwell for his apartment. A neighbor called the cops. That was the closest thing I had to an "eye opener". I can't moderate. When I drink, there's no switch that turns on and says "You're drunk" or "You're getting drunk". All of a suden I just am too drunk. That's playing with fire, in my opinion.

The fact that you're asking these questions at 19 makes me think you need to stop, at least for the time being. I know I could party pretty hard when I was young, but I never wondered if I had a problem (maybe I did back then, too). A lot of drinking is disfunctional. Very few people have it "under control". I'd talk to someone who "knows what they're talking about" (i.e. a professional or someone from AA, etc.).

Good luck to you!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi James, and welcome! I think others have made a very strong point that if you are concerned about your drinking, then it is something that should be explored. I too am very shy and drank primarily because it made me feel more social and extroverted. It also landed me in the hospital and the local detox center for an enlightening evening. I also have never had a dui or an eye-opener, but did hit my own personal rock bottom at one point. I can appreciate your concerns, and wish you the best of luck in finding the answers you need. SR is a great site for support!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi James

19, Wow are you lucky to be aware of your problem so soon. The sooner you quit, the less of your life you will waste!

"The only step we have to do perfectly is step one."

John
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by austingemini View Post
Me thinks you meant this for someone else I haven't lost anyone. Regardless, those are sound words of advice.
hehe
Sorry, you are right. That was for Elgee in regards to the mourning period. I was referring to alcohol being like our best friend.