Notices

19 and a xanax addiction

Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

19 and a xanax addiction

Well, i've been on here before, last november, when my dad's alcoholism came to a head, when i began taking xanax prescribed by my doctor, june the following year i still am. Far more than i should be. My doctor just kept prescribing, i knew i had a problem from the start, i used it to deal with feelings that i dont know how to endure or "sit through".

It's so addictive, it's great, it feels great but just never start! The hell i'm going through as i try and withdraw is agonising. I'm sure many can relate and many on here have been through worse with longer, heavier addictions and i'd like to pay tribute to the AMAZING achievement of getting sober. I really dont know if i can do it, so to the people who have congratulations! WHAT an achievement!

Anyways the point of this post is just to talk to other people who have gotten off xanax successfully, any tips they might have. This is so hard, i dont know if i can do it, and my next step would be lying to my doctor or obtaining it illegally. I'm not that person, I dont want to be a drug addict, but i am, but i dont want to be a desperate lying drug addict. If anyone reading this has dabbled in xanax, stop right now, unless your doctor is supervising closely. If u never start, u never have to go through the agony of stopping.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DLG
I really dont know if i can do it
you just bet you can do DLG...

your young, and by doing it now.. you can have a wondeful life ahead of you!

more will be along, thats a given!

good wishes DLG

rz
Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I used the 12 step program, NA meetings, and confidence in a Higher Power, to gradually taper myself off of Xanax use.

I'm very comfortable in my own skin now and I don't need the Xanax to feel human.

There was a time I could not even begin to believe I could live without it though.

(Just an added note: sometimes I really, really pat myself on the back for being able to get off of the Xanax, I'm very proud of that accomplishment. VERY.)
Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was hooked on Xanax for atleast 15 years. My addiction started innocently too. It was prescribed by a doctor. In the end I was going to MANY doctors and lying to all of them. I could not get off of them on my own. I had to go into a medical detox. I hope you will tell your doctor that you are abusing them so you can get a safe detox. I have been clean and sober for 17 months and life is really good!

(PS Tommy, I am really proud of ME too!! And you)
Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no specific advice for you, but I want to wish you well as you seek recovery.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Would a detox/rehab be best? i cant handle the withdrawals and i dont have the willpower, i'm replacing xanax with drinking, which was a former problem of mine while i was an adolescent, I have also been addicted to codeine which i came off after i wrecked my stomach so much i could no longer take it, that was the most agonising week of cold turkey ever, i was so mad at myself i'd gotten to that stage. I'm sorta also seeing someone really new as all this is happening and its scary, it stresses me, i think i'd be taking less xanax if he wasnt in my life right now, is it best for me to cut him loose for now and concentrate on getting better, I get the feeling he doesnt realise how serious this is, and as long as i'm giving him what he wants then he doesnt care. I feel he likes me on the xanax cos he can act all concerned but then i'm less combative and resistant as our relationship develops, its allowed him to move far too fast for me. I think beating this addiction and dating this guy cant work hand in hand....
Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anxiety and Depression Related to drug Abuse or Not

I in no way claim to be a doctor, nor do I claim to be intelligent. All the time I hear people saying that prescription medications are not helping them, and by the way I am not a naturalist hippie either. Four years ago I used meth frequently and quit without a problem, but afterward I did have problems handling social situations. as well I began to sleep a whole lot less, and believe ,me I could feel it. So I just figured the answer to that was to take some xanax or something to solve it. The doctor told me not to take them, but I am hard headed I did not listen. I felt fine for about a year, but began taking larger quantities. After a while I just became impossible to deal with, and I knew it. I went to see a psycologist, she told me the problems I have would always exist. Once again I am very hard headed, but I don't care who you are don't ever believe something like that someone tells you. She told me to take effexor xr so I tried it. That night I got home and just quit taking xanax cold turkey. I experienced tremors, ran a fever or 105, and completely withdrew from all social activity exept college and wal-mart. Then I just completely quit sleeping, then I started sleeping an average of about 4 to 5 hours a night. This was still going on as of a couple weeks ago, until recently. Anyway 6 months after quitting I thought it would be good for me to go help something or someone that needs it. I volunteered to go to Costa Rica and Nicaragua. When I arrived and had to move in with 15 other people it was akward at first. I thought the food was terrible, experienced culture shock, you have to remember I was living here not visiting. After a couple of weeks I was doing great. I was going out with everyone every weekend as well staying out in public at least 12 hours a day. Still I was not sleeping well, but I was happy so it really did not matter. I had three American girls fighting over me, I had it all. By the way the food we receive in the United States is totally different from what you receive in Central America. All food in the United States is genetically modified in some ways, in some foods a lot of ways. A real orange is actually green! I guess people here just think the name should match the color. Well after a while I decided to come back home, I felt that I was unstoppable. I was good to go for a couple weeks, everyone I knew said I looked better than they have ever seen me. Then all my problems came back, and I believe actually intensified. I was not sleeping, not even eating. To make a long story short this lasted six months once again. The reason all this ended was I was absolutely desperate to solve this problem on my own, because frankly the medical industry is not geared to fix problems, it is geared to improve. That keeps you coming back to the pharmacy and spending your money. They say it keeps the economy going. Well I began doing major research on hormones and supplements. I also studied the way that prescription antidepressants work. SSRI which is the most common in antidepressants will not ever repair the brain functions which cause these problems. All they do is store serotonin between nerves in order to make you feel just a little better, but it should create serotonin in order to cure the problems. Like I said it does keep you going back to the pharmacy. Well I started researching what produces the actual hormones you need. Amino Acids are what is broken down in the liver to produce hormones. Well that night I ordered amino acids which I felt were specific to my condition. When I received them I began taking them right away. The first day I took them I felt the urge to run workout work in my yard, I did a little of everything. The second day I slept 11 hours, and then workout all day again. The third day I felt no depression anxiety, everything felt normal again. I have not felt that way since I was 21, I am 28 now. Most every illness including mental can be cured from the correct amino acid. You can do the research yourself, I am getting tired of typing. But I will give you the formula that I used. Not a doctor but I guarantee it will show drastic improvement in your system. If you send me an e-mail I will send you all the information I have, but here are what I believe to be the most important. By the way doctors can not recomend these medications by rule of the FDA which says only a drug will cure an illness, which means in their words only prescriptions that they make money off of will help you. I call that just pure BS. I do say don't take my word for it make sure you do research on your own.

L-Dopa or a version which has to be broke down Tyrosine

NOW L-Tyrosine is an essential amino acid and a precursor of the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine to help maintain normal and health mental functions and support your mood or well-being. In addition L-Tyrosine also aids in adrenal, thyroid and pituitary function. One thing it also does is convert to the thyroid hormone thyroxin. This plays an important role in controlling metabolic rate, not to mention skin health, mental health, and growth rate!

My natural xanax
Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)
Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is a non-essential amino acid formed from glutamic acid with the help of vitamin B6. GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is found in almost every region of brain, and is formed through the activity of the enzyme glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD). GAD catalyzes the formation of GABA from glutamic acid. GAD requires vitamin B6 (pyridoxal phosphate) as a cofactor, which can be used to regulate the levels of GABA. Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system to block the transmission of an impulse from one cell to another in the central nervous system.. In humans, GABA acts at inhibitory synapses in the brain and spinal cord.
GABA functions, uses, and health benefits
Gamma-aminobutyric acid functions as a neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, decreasing neuron activity thus preventing them from overfiring. With niacinamide (B3) and inositol, GABA prevents anxiety and stress-related messages from reaching the motor centers of the brain, and is essential for brain metabolism.

GABA has been used in the treatment of depression, manic-depressive (bipolar) disorder, seizures, premenstrual dysphoric (feeling depressed) disorder, and anxiety. GABA serves as a inhibitory neurotransmitter to block the transmission of an impulse from one cell to another in the central nervous system. GABA improves sleep cycles leading to more restful sleeping. GABA has powerful stabilizing effects on blood pressure. GABA is a very effective analgesic, eliminating pain from chronic conditions such as arthritis and lower back pain. GABA supplements can help to relieve the intensity of pain. They may also lessen pain-related nerve impulses.
Gamma.-aminobutyric acid naturally stimulates the anterior pituitary gland to secrete higher levels of human growth hormone (HGH). GABA signals the pituitary to naturally release HGH. HGH is a hormone that is widely known for its powerful anabolic (muscle building) effects as well as its lipotropic (breakdown and utilization of body fat) effects. Human growth hormone (HGH) is produced, stored and secreted by the pituitary gland located at the base of the brain.
GABA has been used to treat both epilepsy and hypertension where it is thought to induce tranquility in individuals who have a high activity of manic behavior and acute agitation. Levels of GABA in the brain may influence seizure activity in individuals with epilepsy. GABA appears to inhibit nerve cells in the brain from firing and setting off seizures. Gamma.-aminobutyric acid analog gabapentin has been approved in the United States for the treatment of epileptic seizures and post-herpetic neuralgia. The drug has also shown efficacy in controlled studies for treating neuropathic pain of varying etiologies.

GABA dosage, intake
Some doctors recommend GABA in the amount of 2 grams four times daily. Doses of GABA as high as 5 grams per dose are recommended within hard-core bodybuilding circles to stimulate spikes in plasma growth hormone levels, but smaller doses of 1-2 grams are probably more realistic. Doses are typically taken on an empty stomach prior to sleep.

GABA deficiency

Toxicity, side effects, interactions, and contraindications
GABA appears to be safe at recommended doses. There are no negative side effects possible with the use of GABA, however, at high doses, GABA can actually increase anxiety and insomnia. It may also cause numbness around the mouth and tingling in the extremities, de mild nausea, a slight shortness of breath that lasts for a few minutes and temporary tingling of the skin.

I think the most important of all

Tryptophan
Tryptophan (l- tryptophan) is an essential amino acid formed from proteins during digestion by the action of proteolytic enzymes. Tryptophan contributes to the structure of proteins into which it has been incorporated by the tendency of its side chain to participate in hydrophobic interactions. Tryptophan can only be obtained through food and cannot be produced within the body. Many naturally occurring physiological substauces are derived from l-tryptophan such as serotonin, which is involved in vasopressure regulation, and indolacetic acid, which is a plant hormone and also involved in elevated blood pressure, ergotamine, strychnine and other indole alkaloids. Tryptophan is also a precursor for serotonin (a neurotransmitter) and melatonin (a neurohormone). In the body, tryptophan is converted into 5-HTP, which then can be converted into serotonin (a potent neurotransmitter in the brain). Serotonin is involved in mood, appetite, sleep and impulse control. When carbohydrates are consumed, an increase in insulin is created, removing from circulation other amino acids that compete with tryptophan. This makes it easy for tryptophan to enter the brain to make serotonin, which influences the brain in regulating food intake and sleep patterns.

Tryptophan functions, uses, and health benefits
Tryptophan may enhance relaxation and sleep, relieves minor premenstrual symptoms, soothes nerves and anxiety, and reduces carbohydrate cravings. Tryptophan is important for the production of serotonin. Serotonin is one of the key brain chemicals involved

in regulating mood. When depression occurs, there may be a decreased amount of serotonin released from nerve cells in the brain. By increasing the amount of serotonin in the blood, tryptophan may increase serotonin’s antidepressant effects. Tryptophan is only used in combination with other antidepressant therapy.
Tryptophan is necessary for the production of niacin (B3) and requires B6, biotin, vitamin C and zinc to form the enzyme needed for conversion. Tryptophan or 5-hydroxytryptamine (the middle step in the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin) supplementation may help increase serotonin levels and help relieve fibromyalgia symptoms. Tryptophan is useful in treating menopausal depressive conditions and alleviating the symptoms of restless leg syndrome. Tryptophan helps control hyperactivity in children, relieves stress, and enhances the release of growth hormones necessary for the production of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine).
Serotonin may play a role in the regulation of appetite and weight loss. More serotonin is released in response to high carbohydrate meals which is thought to decrease appetite and improve mood. Tryptophan is also involved in the body’s regulation of sleep. Increasing tryptophan may help to normalize sleep patterns. Tryptophan has also been found that people suffering from migraine headaches have abnormal levels of tryptophan, and in this supplementation may be helpful.

Dietary sources of tryptophan
The best sources of tryptophan are chocolate, oats, bananas, dried dates, milk, cottage cheese, meat, fish, turkey, and peanuts. Less concentration is available in corn, cereal grains, legumes (peas and beans), flesh foods, eggs, dairy products, some nuts and seeds and in the casein component of milk. For the maximum effect with tryptophan, use a moderately high carbohydrate-low protein diet since less serotonin will be produced because of less amino acid competition.

Tryptophan dosage, intake
The dose of l-tryptophan will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label for proper intake. A common dosage is one 500 mg capsule for every 50 lbs. of body weight, one hour before bedtime. To treat mental depression, adults should take 8 to 12 grams per day, given in 3 to 4 equally divided doses. It is best not to take tryptophan with protein, which competes with tryptophan for absorption. Vitamin B6 and magnesium enhance the effect of tryptophan.

Tryptophan deficiency
Because tryptophan supplies part of vitamin B3 in the body, deficiency of tryptophan can increase risk of vitamin B3 deficiency. Deficiency of tryptophan in the diet enhances the progress of the vitamin-deficiency disease pellagra. Tryptophan deficiency is likely to occur in individuals with poor overall protein intake. A deficiency of tryptophan may lead to depression, insomnia, schizophrenia, suicidal thoughts and carbohydrate craving. Combined with a shortage of magnesium, this deficiency may be a contributing factor to heart artery spasms.

Toxicity, side effects, interactions, and contraindications
Tryptophan may cause some people to become drowsy, dizzy, or less alert than they are normally. This medicine may cause dryness of the mouth. Symptoms of tryptophan overdose include agitation, confusion, diarrhea, fever, overactive reflexes, poor coordination, restlessness, shivering, sweating, alking or acting with excitement you cannot control, trembling or shaking, twitching, and vomiting. Avoid combining l-tryptophan with other serotonin increasing agents such as 5-HTP or SSRI drugs, such as Prozac, Paxil, etc.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with that, i'll consult my dr who isnt into overprescribing, natropath and pharmacist. Its something i will try once i get out of rehab, i'm most probably facing a 21 stint starting next week
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Before you do anything, go to benzoisland or benzowithdraw.
I would not suggest a detox because it is so hard on the body. Taper is much better to avoid PAWS. I have been off for over 3 months, through detox and rehab, and am living in hell. It is normal to drink as drinking is like taking a benzo. It eases the withdraw symptoms. You will need to stop both.

good luck
Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good luck in rehab DLG- i hope it works for you

becca
x
Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Sounds like a great idea. You are so wise and so young. This is a great choice you are making. I am thankful for being able to go into rehab. Learn everything you can, and be nice to yourself.

And yes...I know it is hard at your age to not be in a relationship with the hormones flying, but try to take care of yourself first. Be selfish in building yourself up right now, and a healthy relationship will follow.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi,

Once upon a time, I had a love affair with xanax...Problem was, when I wanted to end the relationship, I couldn't without help...I went to detox...It was tough, but with help I found that my life was much better without those pills.

Keep posting, we are glad you found us...:ghug2
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didnt use xanax for a long time, but if i had it wouldve become an everyday thing for sure. It made everything perfect, then everything hell. I havent touched it for a long time though thankfully, probably well over a year. As a young person who can be very impulsive with drugs, i would never recommend it to anyone, even to someone to which it is prescribed. If youre gonna use, i would say find a sustitute.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vicoprincess93 View Post
I didnt use xanax for a long time, but if i had it wouldve become an everyday thing for sure. It made everything perfect, then everything hell. I havent touched it for a long time though thankfully, probably well over a year. As a young person who can be very impulsive with drugs, i would never recommend it to anyone, even to someone to which it is prescribed. If youre gonna use, i would say find a sustitute.
I might be a little late, but I totally agree with vico on this. I've been taking xanax for the last 8+ years, and she's right on target with this post! I have a new doctor that is tapering me off of xanax. I was prescribed 8mg a day for all of these years. I'm down to 4mg a day now, and it's getting pretty rough for me. I know I'm going to be feeling even worse when I get down to 2mg and less. In the long run, I know it will be worth it. Xanax makes you feel great for a few weeks to a few months, and then it has a hold of you even though you don't have that "nice" feeling anymore. If you try to stop taking it cold-turkey, you could end up with seizures, or even a coma and/or death. Don't get me wrong... There is a small percentage of people out there who have little or no withdrawal from this medication, but for most of us it's very addictive and the withdrawal isn't what they expected it to be. I wouldn't recommend this pill to my worst enemy. I had knee surgery about 6 years ago, and I got addicted to percocet for about 2 years. I thought the withdrawal from that was horrible.... That was nothing compared to xanax withdrawal, at least for me. I had all of the nasty symptoms for about 10 days, and then I was fine. I thought if I could quit taking pain meds, I could quit anything on my own. I was wrong. For anyone who is taking this monster of a drug, I pray that you ask to taper off of it and find another substitute other than a benzo. If I were in my 70's, I'm sure my doctor wouldn't mind keeping me on a small dose of xanax. I'm in my mid-30's, and my new doctor actually spent the time to explain exactly how addictive and dangerous this drug is. Most P-Doctors just prescribe you whatever they think "might" help you from my experience. Some of them don't know much about the drug that they're prescribing you. From now on, if I get prescribed a new medication, I'm going to research it and get input from other people's experience with it. I know everybody reacts differently to certain meds, but at least I'll know a little of what to expect from it. From my experience with xanax, the con's outweigh the pro's. I wish all who have an addiction like mine seek help. I didn't plan to have an addiction, but I should have researched this drug before I started taking it. I'm very thankful to have found this wonderful website with so many nice people. I now know that I'm not alone. :ghug
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I was addicted to xanax and thought I could stop taking them myself, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS I suffered from seizures and ended up in the ER. I was told it was because you CAN'T just stop taking xanax. You must be weaned off them. I had to take anti-seizure med Depakote for 3 years because of it. PLEASE DO NOT try to detox yourself. Good Luck